Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Enhancing Our Grading System

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

posting just to let people know that we have this new thread now

all suggestions are very welcome

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, you often talk about the quality of the actual writing, and I think that would make a good grading category, how well a book is written.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that was my first thought!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sort of random, but I often wonder what Mr. King would have to say if he weighed in on these type of threads. Don't you all? Not meant as an indictment or anything just general speculation. Like the kid in "Sixth Sense". "I think weird thoughts"!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

it would be humanly interesting, but, in my opinion, not very relevant. It's the readers who can evaluate the merits of a literary work, not the author. He has already done all he could about it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks for putting this together. You've got my opinions here already, so I don't think I need to restate them. I just think they need to be rewritten maybe? All three are important aspects of a book. Although in my opinion I'm not entirely sure ending is as relevant as the other 2 categories. And I agree, how well it's written definitely does sound like a good thing to add.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

do you think that the three categories might be (roughly): story - characters - writing?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Personally I like that

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    do you think that the three categories might be (roughly): story - characters - writing?
    I like this approach also. Those aspects should be emphasized, whereas "story ending" is not really a pertinent way to measure the worth of a book.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

What about collections? Categories for those also could use a little tweaking, I reckon. Different set from novels is a good idea, though. For that matter, I like the three rounds in general, and basically the whole status quo of this annual tourney. Only this that we're discussing did always bug me a bit. Nice work pulling this thread together, Jean.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The more I think about it, the more I agree that we should go with Jean's suggestion of grading The Dark Tower as one book.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I agree that we should go with Jean's suggestion of grading The Dark Tower as one book.
    I really suggest trying it next year. And the year after the next, I suggest removing TDT from the competition altogether, and see how this would influence the results.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With tons respect due, I don't really see how voting for The Dark Tower as one book will be beneficial. They are all very different books. Some are great (The Drawing of the Three, Song of Susannah), some are very good (The Gunslinger, The Waste Lands, The Dark Tower), and some are meh (Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla). In my most humblest and insignificant of opinions, of course. Plus there's The Wind Through the Keyhole for next time. Which is why there was always the disclaimer to vote on the DT books as separate entities. Leaving them off altogether is an option, but doesn't seem fair, as we're choosing The Best King Book of All Time. We can, however, maybe separate the CRAs into book categories, choosing the Best Novel, Best Collection, and Best Dark Tower Novel. And then have those winners face each other for the ultimate prize.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I consider the dark tower series to be one book. Just as I have favorite parts of any other book I have favorite parts of this one. I would no more favor splitting the main storyline (7 books) than I would favor splitting another story and voting them against each other.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

what Brice said

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Instead of grading them as one book, hows about we grade them as one story. I think we can all agree on that technicality.

Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking that early in 2014 we begin our sometimes annual Constant Reader Awards and I would like to restructure the bracketing and the grading system. I would love to hear suggestions. The bracketing needs changing because the number of titles keeps growing. And the grading, while, in my opinion, very good, could still use some adjustment, too.

Country
    Country Flag

If we leave off the eight DT novels for the upcoming awards voting, we may not need very much restructuring, just rewording of the actual vote questions (because I like the internal grading system itself). So we can still stick to 60 overall titles - we'd just need to sneak in a dubious title like The Plant or Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, both legitimate parts of King's bibliography. Thus, first round voting, like in the past, would be in twelve brackets of five titles as such:

Bracket 1:
    • Carrie
    • 'Salem's Lot
    • The Shining
    • Rage
    • Night Shift

Bracket 2:
    • The Stand
    • The Long Walk
    • The Dead Zone
    • Firestarter
    • Roadwork

Bracket 3:
    • Danse Macabre
    • Cujo
    • The Running Man
    • Different Seasons
    • Christine

Bracket 4:
    • Pet Sematary
    • Cycle of the Werewolf
    • The Talisman
    • Thinner
    • Skeleton Crew

Bracket 5:
    • It
    • The Eyes of the Dragon
    • Misery
    • The Tommyknockers
    • Nightmares in the Sky

Bracket 6:
    • The Dark Half
    • Four Past Midnight
    • Needful Things
    • Gerald's Game
    • Dolores Claiborne

Bracket 7:
    • Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    • Insomnia
    • Rose Madder
    • The Green Mile
    • Desperation

Bracket 8:
    • The Regulators
    • Bag of Bones
    • Storm of the Century
    • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    • Hearts in Atlantis

Bracket 9:
    • On Writing
    • Secret Windows
    • Dreamcatcher
    • Black House
    • Everything's Eventual

Bracket 10:
    • From a Buick 8
    • Faithful
    • The Colorado Kid
    • Cell
    • Lisey's Story

Bracket 11:
    • Blaze
    • Duma Key
    • Just After Sunset
    • Under the Dome
    • Blockade Billy

Bracket 12:
    • Full Dark, No Stars
    • 11/22/1963
    • Joyland
    • Ghost Brothers of Darkland County
    • Doctor Sleep

Now, the question is, should the top two books in each bracket (winner and runner-up) automatically move on, as before, with the remaining highest-scoring books being the wildcards that fill out the Top 30 which moves on to the second round, or should it be a straight 1 through 30 ranking? Each method has its advantages. Straight ranking is arguably fairer, but the top-two system provides more balance.

My personal choice would be a straight 1-30 ranking. It's definitely fairer. What if King has a bad era, and those books move on when there's without a doubt better works by him? I think it usually turned out that they would make it on anyways, but this would guarantee it.

Also can you refresh my memory on the initial voting phase. Do we rank them based on the brackets they're in or is it stand alone voting for each book?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    My personal choice would be a straight 1-30 ranking. It's definitely fairer. What if King has a bad era, and those books move on when there's without a doubt better works by him? I think it usually turned out that they would make it on anyways, but this would guarantee it.
    bears agree

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Also can you refresh my memory on the initial voting phase. Do we rank them based on the brackets they're in or is it stand alone voting for each book?
    Since it looks like the Dark Tower novels will indeed participate in the upcoming Constant Reader Awards as eight separate entries, the above bracket list will have to be restructured. I'd like more feedback on the methodology: the 1 through 30 option, or the top-two in each bracket plus the wildcards as before. To remind, everyone, the first round of the process involves rating each book on its own merits and then at the end of Round 1 the top 30 books move on to Round 2.

Country
    Country Flag

The brackets then would look like this:

Bracket 1:
    • Carrie
    • 'Salem's Lot
    • The Shining
    • Rage
    • Night Shift

Bracket 2:
    • The Stand
    • The Long Walk
    • The Dead Zone
    • Firestarter
    • Roadwork

Bracket 3:
    • Danse Macabre
    • Cujo
    • The Running Man
    • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
    • Different Seasons

Bracket 4:
    • Christine
    • Pet Sematary
    • Cycle of the Werewolf
    • The Talisman
    • Thinner

Bracket 5:
    • Skeleton Crew
    • It
    • The Eyes of the Dragon
    • The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
    • Misery

Bracket 6:
    • The Tommyknockers
    • The Dark Half
    • Four Past Midnight
    • The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands
    • Needful Things

Bracket 7:
    • Gerald's Game
    • Dolores Claiborne
    • Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    • Insomnia
    • Rose Madder

Bracket 8:
    • The Green Mile
    • Desperation
    • The Regulators
    • The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
    • Bag of Bones

Bracket 9:
    • Storm of the Century
    • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    • Hearts in Atlantis
    • On Writing
    • Dreamcatcher

Bracket 10:
    • Black House
    • Everything's Eventual
    • From a Buick 8
    • The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
    • The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah

Bracket 11:
    • The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower
    • Faithful
    • The Colorado Kid
    • Cell
    • Lisey's Story

Bracket 12:
    • Blaze
    • Duma Key
    • Just After Sunset
    • Under the Dome
    • Blockade Billy

Bracket 13:
    • Full Dark, No Stars
    • 11/22/1963
    • The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole
    • Joyland
    • Doctor Sleep

Yes, 13 brackets now. Meaning if we're going the wildcard route, the top two in each bracket will be moving on, as well as the remaining top four.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not going to enjoy this game.
    Choosing only 2from some of those early groups is like choosing which 2 of your 5 children you love most
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

I suggest grouping them differently. This way, I am afraid everyone will agree, we make the classic compete with the mediocre instead of weeding out the mediocre at early stages

Country
    Country Flag

Well the books in the First Round aren't competing against one another. They are all graded on their own merits. So we can go with a straight 1 through 30 ranking. I'm fine with either way. The way we did it before, the top two books in each bracket moved on and the rest of the Top 30 was filled out by the wildcards, those that ranked highest among the books which weren't top two in their brackets. So that provided balance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast