Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What would have happened if... ?

Traveler Renee is on a distinguished road Renee's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Has anyone ever wondered what would have happened if ... *spoilers*

I don't expect any responses to this because I'm pretty sure no one ever responded to anything else I've posted, which is ok. Its kinda like you all have your little Dark Tower community and there are still some outsiders, but meh.

I finished the book (or series, how ever you choose to look at it) earlier this summer and obviously became obsessed with it. I'd read quite a few of King's novels prior to the Dark Tower, but I guess looking at all 7 installments and how heavy they were ... it was a bit overwhelming, demanding and jarring and I just never got around to it. Now, I'm unemployed and I have all kinds of time on my hands, so ... yeah, I read them all in about a month haha

Anyways, the reason for posting this was more for me than anyone or anything else ... I'm horrible at keeping secrets and not being able to contain my thoughts sometimes. When I finished the book, I know a lot of people were upset with the ending, but I think I kinda got it. I mean, this is his magnum opus and he's repeatedly said that the first line of the Gunslinger just caught him and stuck, so to me it seemed fitting and understandable that he'd end it with the way it began. But my first response when I realized he was back in the desert was "What if this is a perpetual "Groundhog's Day" for Roland?" I mean, he's done some really shitty stuff, not always on purpose, but still - killed his own mother, sacrificed Jake, sacrificed EVERYTHING, all in the name of the Dark Tower. What if ka is waiting for him to get it right? I just kept thinking of Bill Murray waking up to "I Got You Babe" LOL I know it sounds ridiculous, but come on. Roland is, to an extent, a fairly predictable guy. He'll do anything to get to the Dark Tower. He keeps starting over in the desert when he reaches the Tower, so what if ka is trying to get him to change something - change everything.

What I'm going to say next is MIND BLOWING (to me lol) and therefore requires the dramatic space ...

What if Roland didn't let Jake drop?

Think about it. Jake hanging over the abyss? It was just Walter's spin on Rhea of the Coos illusion that tricked Roland into killing his mother. Those doors would have been on the beach either way - the palaver with Walter, it was basically him getting his fortune read. And it was Walter just making Roland squirm a bit more with guilt for killing a boy who loved him.

All I'm saying is ... what if someone (preferably King, but I dunno if he'd do it) started a new book, after the incident at the abyss, but instead of letting Jake fall, Roland saves him? What if ka put Roland on a path that would, of course lead him to the Deans and Oy and Devar-Toi and everything else, but just with new, updated directions? What if him saving Jake lead him to an additional door where ... maybe, where his original ka-tet (Alain and Cuthbert) was?

I dunno. It was just something rolling around in my head since I finished the book. Its a great series ... there are a lot of grammatical errors (lol) within the installments, but I remember in one of his forewards King said something about New Yorkers please forgive him for his geographical errors and later on it turned out those geographical errors (like where Co-Op City really was) were part of the book, the different levels of reality and whatnot. Imagine writing a masterpiece like this and being able to say that most, if not all, the errors you made were crucial to how the book ended. That's a lovely trick on King's part lol

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi, Renee! I don't really have alot of time right now so, i'm just gonna address your very first point for now. There really are no outsiders unless they choose to be such. Stick around and post and you'll find most of us highly receptive to others. You've made two posts. You probably should give us a chance to reject you before you decide we will. For now I'll refer you to your favorite DT quote.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I値l be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    I don't expect any responses to this because I'm pretty sure no one ever responded to anything else I've posted, which is ok. Its kinda like you all have your little Dark Tower community and there are still some outsiders, but meh.
    It's really not about our little Dark Tower community and I do know how you feel. I remember being a newbie. It was horrible. But that's not the case now. Most of us have been talking about DT topics for more than 5 years. Although the Dark Tower is the deepest book I have ever read still many of the people come to the point when they don't feel like talking about every aspect of the book anymore.
    And as much as I see this is your second Dark Tower related post. Give us more from you, we are totally eager to meet new DT junkies, believe me.

There are some really kickass threads about the ending here on this site in the Dark Tower 7 section and if you look around there you will see that you are not alone with this idea however they are MANY interpretations.
    For my part I think
    DT7 spoiler

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Letti is wise and says what i would say much better than i ever will.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I always figured it was a sort of cycle that he would repeat until he changed some stuff. I thought that the time depicted in the book was where he started making some right choices, though and that is why he finds the horn. I figure this time through, he will have the horn with him and it will remind him of his previous losses and make him choose differently. One of those has to be his letting Jake drop. He will think of the horn, remember when all of his friends died before and not want it to happen again.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe not this time, but sometime.

If you rescue me

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I actually never thought about it that way before (letting or not letting Jake drop). But I read the books YEARS apart and not all in one reading, so that may have had something to do with it. It's an interesting point though, and maybe if I had thought about it the ending wouldn't have been so unsatisfactory to me.

However, I still pretty much disliked the last 3 books for their style, turns of phrase, etc. I've read the first 4 at least twice each. Renee, you ALMOST make me want to read them all in a row now to see if doing that will make me enjoy the saga more. We'll see... and thanks for the thought provoking points you've made.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is definitely time for a reread.

If you rescue me

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome aboard Renee!
    Don't let the community scare you, it's a wonderful bunch of people. (well, except Brice. he's kinda scary )
    I recently came back to this site after a long hiatus, and I can relate to how it is to be new. Just keep posting, both in DT threads and off topic sections, and you'll soon be one of us

as for the topic, I think the horn must have some huge significance to why he repeats, and what he should do. It's the only thing that changed from the first (or is it?) time around, so it has to mean something.
    Maybe each "run" changes Roland a little to the core, and makes him care less for the tower and more for his companions. Maybe he's meant to reach it with the full Ka-tet to bring balance to Ka, or whatever
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Traveler Renee is on a distinguished road Renee's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I meant no offense by my crabby comment about "outsiders" and the the DT community. Someone replied with saying that they'll refer to my favorite DT quote, which is of course Cort's "Fault always lies in him weak enough to lay blame." I'm not blaming anyone for anything - although valid points were brought up that I only posted a couple times before this so ... that's my fault. I just wasn't sure that regulars on here would read a thread by someone who isn't quite a regular No harm, no foul ... No bounce, no play in other words. Great advice.

Anyways, if I'm being completely and 100% honest ... I COULD NOT understand Browning's poem. I cheated and looked up the Sparknotes summary on it. I get that King was trying to follow the poem throughout the book; in my opinion, he got off subject quite often and (I hate saying this because it sounds so critical and mean) it kinda looked like he forgot that he started this based off of the poem and towards the end it was like "Oh, shit how can I incorporate the poem back into this, when I've already jumped so far off base?". Don't get me wrong, I love the book, but that's just my opinion. I'll have to do another read through, but in Wizard and Glass, where Roland primarily talks about his experience with Alain, Cuthbert, and Susan in Madras I don't remember seeing anything about Cuthbert's horn in there - I could be wrong tho. I have a horrible memory and to be fair there were thousands of pages lol But to me, the whole thing with the horn - it just seemed like a last minute "Oh damn I forgot to mention this" thing.

I saw someone else on here said something about the tone and style of the last three books - I agree. They were so much different then the first four. I think if King would have stuck with the flow he was following - even though it got off base from the Browning poem - I think he could have really blown all of our minds. I dunno. I put a lot of (sometimes too much) thought into things - kind of what Roland's father said about Roland in regards to the riddles haha

It really is just stuck in my head - if he pulled Jake up from the abyss, ditched his palaver with Walter, and headed for the beach anyways - what would happen? I keep thinking that Roland and Jake would both know that their path has changed dramatically. Dreams are a big deal in the series and I just keep wondering, also, what if they start having dreams of a door (a different door) that would lead Roland back to before the battle on Jericho hill. What if old, ancient Roland saw himself - warned himself. Its very Groundhog's Day/Back to the Future lol

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

The horn was mentioned many times throughout the series. Maybe not in Wizard and Glass (haven't read it in ages), but several other times. They lost the horn at Jericho Hill (I think), so Roland didn't bring it to his journey towards the tower.
    Spoiler:
    Yet, the second (?) time around the horn is right there with him. So something changed, which some think could mean that the story the books tell isn't Roland's first time.

I think the horn is crucial to understanding what happens. Not the horn itself, of course, but how he suddenly has it with him.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyways, if I'm being completely and 100% honest ... I COULD NOT understand Browning's poem. I cheated and looked up the Sparknotes summary on it. I get that King was trying to follow the poem throughout the book; in my opinion, he got off subject quite often and (I hate saying this because it sounds so critical and mean) it kinda looked like he forgot that he started this based off of the poem and towards the end it was like "Oh, shit how can I incorporate the poem back into this, when I've already jumped so far off base?". Don't get me wrong, I love the book, but that's just my opinion. I'll have to do another read through, but in Wizard and Glass, where Roland primarily talks about his experience with Alain, Cuthbert, and Susan in Madras I don't remember seeing anything about Cuthbert's horn in there - I could be wrong tho. I have a horrible memory and to be fair there were thousands of pages lol But to me, the whole thing with the horn - it just seemed like a last minute "Oh damn I forgot to mention this" thing.
    Roland does talk about the horn before book 7 and the significance of it. He was deeply ashamed of himself that he didn't take it from his dying friend Cuthbert. I think he talks about it in WaG or in WotC.

I think King never really wanted to follow that poem precisely. That poem was the kiss of the muse so it's really important, it was meant to be some kind of a thread... but not a strict one.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

hi renee! welcome to the site

you'll notice that the more you talk/ think about the ending of dt7 the further down the rabbit hole it goes and the crazier it seems
    it's a regular subject here and it seems to lead into big questions about free will, god/gan, destiny and time travel
    the fact that it can do that to one's brain is the very reason I like it so much

so to your question about "what if Roland didn't let jake drop?"

A certain dark wizard already created that paradox
    there was a boy/there wasn't a boy
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed Letti
    I have never, and will never, see the books as a "novelization" of the poem. Childe Roland ... is inspiration, maybe the spark that got the wheel turning. But it's not the wheel itself.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

The only types of poems I understand are the ones that start, Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, I like Stephen King, How about YOU?

By the way, GROUNDHOG DAY is, believe it or not, on my top 10 best movies of all time list.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    The only types of poems I understand are the ones that start, Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, I like Stephen King, How about YOU?

By the way, GROUNDHOG DAY is, believe it or not, on my top 10 best movies of all time list.
    We have a poet here. Great.
    I am crazy about Groundhog Day. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    you'll notice that the more you talk/ think about the ending of dt7 the further down the rabbit hole it goes and the crazier it seems
    it's a regular subject here and it seems to lead into big questions about free will, god/gan, destiny and time travel
    the fact that it can do that to one's brain is the very reason I like it so much
    You have no idea how much I think about that kind of stuff. Not just with the Dark Tower, but also in general. Well, when I say "in general", I mean as a source for writing. I think long and hard for ages about how different choices can change someone's life so radically, especially when matters of time are concerned. (For this obsessive thinking, I blame two sources: one, The Waste Lands and the paradox of Jake, and two, It's a Wonderful Life. Maybe one particular audio story from my favourite show, too.)

It's funny how you can come up with huge, epic ideas on a daily basis, but writing a story like that can be a real bastard! Why I have so much respect for King, especially with The Waste Lands: it's only a part of the story, and yet it's still treated wonderfully.

Anyway, as for Roland not letting Jake fall...god, that's a tricky one. Gonna have to waste some more time theorising on that little nugget. Thanks, renee! (No really, thanks, as you may have guessed, I always love obsessing over neat little ideas and theories like this! Welcome to the board!)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

as far as Roland's not letting Jake fall is concerned, I don't think it would ever come to this

The Roland who doesn't let Jake fall is a different kind of person than the one who killed the whole population of Tull, kids including. If he does the latter, he does the former. If he does not kill them in Tull, he just dies there. The Tull, not the Jake incident, is the turning point.

What will happen if he chooses to die in Tull is an entirely different question, the one I've already tried to answer somewhere (if it wasn't at .net, that is).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Holy shit, bears, that's a very excellent point. Of course now I'm wondering what would have happened if he had never lost his fingers in book 2, as really thinking about it, that could've been another significant turning point for the character, only this time for the better: his lost fingers may have reminded him that he was still human, that he wasn't invincible as he seemed to be when he was firing his guns, but a man of flesh and blood. What would have happened if he hadn't fallen asleep on the beach, or slept higher up, if he had never lost his fingers? Would that have changed him? He would've still been dependent on Eddie for guidance in New York, but not as totally dependent as he was. I don't know, maybe it wouldn't have been that much different after all, but still, I've gotta wonder about this kind of stuff.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

Well, one major difference would that, if Roland doesn't drop Jake, than we don't get any Mordred/Mia. There's no reason for the ka-tet to go into the 2nd speaking ring in the Waste Lands except to get Jake back, so unless King invented another reason, that path would significantly alter Roland's trip to the Tower.

As for Roland's fingers, maybe if he doesn't drop Jake, he doesn't lose them. If he doesn't go on his long strange trip with Walter, he's not too exhausted to climb further up the beach -- or, if he's got Jake with him, maybe he uses the Touch to figure out something is wrong with sleeping that close to the shore. Regardless, I do believe that Roland not dropping Jake would change a huge amount of the story. It is the correction Roland needs to make.

I've always seen this decision by Roland, dropping Jake, as the key decision he makes, the major one that would change the series and Roland's path, and I thought King made that clear throughout the entire series. I've never seen Tull as important as Jake's death under the mountains, which is referenced and discussed and mentioned time and again by various characters throughout the series, unlike the massacre in Tull. I do remember wondering why Jake's death damns Roland (Roland's words) when killing the kids in Tull does not, but King does declare that Roland was initially "fun to saddle up with" and write about, evidently including Tull ... and says that it is Roland's betrayal of Jake that makes him not like Roland as a character anymore.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I, personally, have always felt that Roland dropping Jake in the mountains was not germaine due to the time travel paradox's. However many feel otherwise. Somehow, and I can't identify it, I think something else in his journey is the "key" choice he has to make to finally break the "loop". But hey, that's just me!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

We love newbies here. This has quickly turned into one of the most spirited DT discussions I've seen in quite a while. Seems like that's how we do it: counting on fresh blood to make the regulars feel like talking about every aspect of the books again. Thanks for your interesting questions.

... (I hate saying this because it sounds so critical and mean) it kinda looked like he forgot that he started this based off of the poem and towards the end it was like "Oh, shit how can I incorporate the poem back into this, when I've already jumped so far off base?". ...
    I think maybe there is some validity in this impression. IMO though, it's only the first book that was really close to the spirit of the poem. Perhaps King was somewhat locked into a different style once he had made a name for himself, one that's kind of at odds with Browning's ambiguity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Roland does talk about the horn before book 7 and the significance of it. He was deeply ashamed of himself that he didn't take it from his dying friend Cuthbert. I think he talks about it in WaG or in WotC.
    I'm just about completely certain that it was not WaG. Maybe WotC. Probably SoS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    as far as Roland's not letting Jake fall is concerned, I don't think it would ever come to this

The Roland who doesn't let Jake fall is a different kind of person than the one who killed the whole population of Tull, kids including. If he does the latter, he does the former. If he does not kill them in Tull, he just dies there. The Tull, not the Jake incident, is the turning point.

What will happen if he chooses to die in Tull is an entirely different question, the one I've already tried to answer somewhere (if it wasn't at .net, that is).
    I remember at least one example on .net, but this way of putting that...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I meant no offense by my crabby comment about "outsiders" and the the DT community. Someone replied with saying that they'll refer to my favorite DT quote, which is of course Cort's "Fault always lies in him weak enough to lay blame." I'm not blaming anyone for anything - although valid points were brought up that I only posted a couple times before this so ... that's my fault. I just wasn't sure that regulars on here would read a thread by someone who isn't quite a regular No harm, no foul ... No bounce, no play in other words. Great advice.

I saw someone else on here said something about the tone and style of the last three books - I agree. They were so much different then the first four. I think if King would have stuck with the flow he was following - even though it got off base from the Browning poem - I think he could have really blown all of our minds. I dunno. I put a lot of (sometimes too much) thought into things - kind of what Roland's father said about Roland in regards to the riddles haha

It really is just stuck in my head - if he pulled Jake up from the abyss, ditched his palaver with Walter, and headed for the beach anyways - what would happen? I keep thinking that Roland and Jake would both know that their path has changed dramatically. Dreams are a big deal in the series and I just keep wondering, also, what if they start having dreams of a door (a different door) that would lead Roland back to before the battle on Jericho hill. What if old, ancient Roland saw himself - warned himself. Its very Groundhog's Day/Back to the Future lol
    Renee, if I came across at all harsh or unkind in my post it wasn't intended so.

If you rescue me

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Renee, if I came across at all harsh or unkind in my post it wasn't intended so.
    Stop lying to the girl, she is already wary of us.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Stop lying to the girl, she is already wary of us.
    No, it's absolutely true. Now if i come across at all harsh or unkind in my posts to Chris it is sincerely my heartfelt intent.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast