13 38.24%
  • Quality of the Story's Ending: Graded "C"

3 8.82%
  • Never Read

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Group 2: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Group 2: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, 1982

Please grade The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger in the following three areas using the grades A, B, or C:
    • Strength of Plot
    • Character Development
    • Quality of the Story's Ending

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

You may base your vote on the 2003 revised version as well as the 1982 original. Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure to select only one grade in each grading area. For complete instructions, see this post.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave it a "C" in strength of plot. The book did not have that much happening in it. I gave character development an "A" because Roland is a very fascinating character. I gave the ending an "A"

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

2nd best book he's written in my opinion. Wife would give it #1 but since she's not a forum member only my vote counts. My top rating will always be IT - the only book I had to stop reading as a teenager because it creeped me out.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

A big "meh" from me.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

all As

and I didn't even really like the book

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Blah - as much as I loved the series, this one almost killed me from ever reading it.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

the same happened to me. The novel just wasn't enjoyable. All the same, the plot - the main idea, the travel, the meetings, the flashback, the events - is superb, the main character classic (the others not bad, either), and the ending unforgettable. All the three As, however, do not make up for the stilty writing, trite philosophy and overall puerility of the novel.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Hmmm, but if you didn't like it...

I think we need a better grading system. I can't give a book I didn't like an A so I've just been voting based on my overall feelings of the book.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Triple A.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Hmmm, but if you didn't like it...

I think we need a better grading system. I can't give a book I didn't like an A so I've just been voting based on my overall feelings of the book.
    that's how I voted the two previous times, but now I feel it is not the right thing to do. The plot and the rest of the current grading criteria may be awesome, and still one may not like the book, being dissatisfied, for example, with the writing. I think, for example, that Wizard and Glass has the best plot imaginable, and one of the best King has ever created - and still I am very unhappy with the book. And vice versa: my favorite writer, Dickens, has only created absurd, sloppy plots, at the same time convoluted and inconsistent - and I love every word he wrote, and there's nothing better for me than his novels, pathetic as they are, plot-wise.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

ABB

Great idea, could have fleshed out the minor characters better, ending left too many questions for me
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

A,A,A

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    the same happened to me. The novel just wasn't enjoyable. All the same, the plot - the main idea, the travel, the meetings, the flashback, the events - is superb, the main character classic (the others not bad, either), and the ending unforgettable. All the three As, however, do not make up for the stilty writing, trite philosophy and overall puerility of the novel.
    This first Gunslinger book was, of course, made up of short stories previously published so it's really a collection and not a novel. I don't know if King revised the stories or linked them together or if they're the same (I haven't compared them). It reads as one long prologue now to the DT series.

All A's for me. One of my favorites.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, more recently King revised the whole book, of course... and, ironically, while that revision made the writing less stilty and the overall effect less puerile, it made the philosophy even MORE trite, IMHO.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well, more recently King revised the whole book, of course... and, ironically, while that revision made the writing less stilty and the overall effect less puerile, it made the philosophy even MORE trite, IMHO.
    I kinda suspected it would have to be like that, so I still hasn't gotten around to reading the revised.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yet I wonder if you grasp the real irony. (or to be more correct semantically, "the counter-intuitive element.") Not to insult your perceptiveness: just as far as your dislike for this book. An older person would generally deliver more rounded philosophy, not less. At least, in theory. To me, this comparison, and a few others, raises my estimate of that level of the original DT1. Sure, it's still far short of what I would like ideally, and still also rather short of some works from his prime, but to me at present, though you may of course differ, the series seems to have ended up more conventionalized than it began.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

CBB
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Last chance to vote! the poll is closing!

Country
    Country Flag

:!: URGENT

Dear friends, can someone remember clicking one time too many

(or maybe two times too few)

The sums of votes in the categories do not match. Please try to remember.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. This round The Gunslinger has earned an OAG (overall average grade) of 2.401960784 or 80.07% in addition to its FAS (final average score), making it 6.840985174 or 85.51%.

Grade breakdown:
    Strength of Plot: A - 2.382352941 (79.41%)
    Character Development: A - 2.382352941 (79.41%)
    Quality of the Story's Ending: A - 2.441176471 (81.37%)

+ Reply to Thread