Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just received my mass order of Dirty Projectors albums today!
    1. The Graceful Fallen Mango
    2. The Glad Fact
    3. Slaves' Graves & Ballads
    4. The Getty Address

Glad Fact is on special edition vinyl with bonus track, so I have to convert it to CD later tonight or over the weekend. Mango is under Dave Longstreth's name only and is all 4-track bedroom recordings--the entire album is wonderful intimate songs ranging from crooning tunes to hard rock songs. Slaves' Graves (tracks 1-7) is an orchestra playing behind Dave and his guitar. Those songs are all emotional and have unexpected textures. Ballads (8-14) is just the man and his guitar singing heartfelt songs about love, mystery, and green lights amongst other things--even more emotional than Slaves' Graves. And Getty Address is a masterpiece I've talked about before.

Also, the new Feist and Noisettes CDs are in rotation here. Both are pretty damn good.

So, here are albums worth buying:
    -The Reminder, Feist
    -What's The Time Mr. Wolf?, The Noisettes
    -Volta [Deluxe w/DVD], Björk
    -The Getty Address, Dirty Projectors
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

Greenday is pissing me off.
    They covered Working Class Hero, I like the cover, I think is kicks ass.
    But.
    I just saw their video for it. Do they have any idea what that song is about? I am very upset about whats going on in Sudan too, Billy Joe, but Working Class Hero has nothing to do with it, nor is a it a good allusion to anything about Darfur. They totally fucked that song over with a stupid video, sure we need more awareness on the situation, but be FUCKING relevent!
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Country
    Country Flag

Attention all George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan fans!
    A deluxe CD set with ALL RECORDED Traveling Wilburys material is coming out next Tuesday!!
    There's a regular edition and a deluxe--based on the way it looks over at Amazon.com, the deluxe is a fucking sweet investment.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Attention all George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan fans!
    A deluxe CD set with ALL RECORDED Traveling Wilburys material is coming out next Tuesday!!
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! that's another birthday present for me, even though I can't get it

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I'll be buying the deluxe edition on Tuesday. I'll send you a copy of everything later.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by towerguard View Post
    But.
    I just saw their video for it. Do they have any idea what that song is about? I am very upset about whats going on in Sudan too, Billy Joe, but Working Class Hero has nothing to do with it, nor is a it a good allusion to anything about Darfur. They totally fucked that song over with a stupid video, sure we need more awareness on the situation, but be FUCKING relevent!
    Granted, the song is more about alienation and social status throughout life, but I'd say the line "Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV, And you think you're so clever and classless and free, But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see." has at least some relevance being that most people are so "doped up" on those things that they don't realize the stuff that it going on in the world, especially in places like Darfur. *shrug*
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by towerguard View Post
    But.
    Granted, the song is more about alienation and social status throughout life, but I'd say the line "Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV, And you think you're so clever and classless and free, But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see." has at least some relevance being that most people are so "doped up" on those things that they don't realize the stuff that it going on in the world, especially in places like Darfur. *shrug*
    Thats a bit of a stretch, but I could live with it.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I dunno, Lennon was big on world issues, and while the Darfur mess wasn't prominent in his time, I think he was making reference to Americans being fed so much bullshit by the media that they think they are really free and they ignore social class and status as well as world issues while people all around them are being given the shit end of the stick so to speak.. Maybe I just have a different interpretation of the song, though. *shrug*
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Cannot stand the cover version nor the video for that song. Musical horror.

I was at a Stevie Nicks concert a few hours ago..and wow. She is breathtaking, a goddess. They were really good seats, so we got a great view of the show. During the encore she covered Led Zeppelin's Rock'n'Roll..mmm..amazing. Landslide live, is almost tear-jerking, and Rhiannon. *sigh* I could have listen to her do it 3 or 4 more times, at least.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I just bought my White Stripes tickets today

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Are they all on sale?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Event Date Venue Venue/State PreSale Status
    6/24/2007 Deer Lake Park Burnaby,BC PreSale Closed
    6/27/2007 Arctic Winter Games Arena Iqaluit,NU PreSale Closed
    6/29/2007 Pengrowth Saddledome Calgary,AB PreSale Closed
    6/30/2007 Shaw Conference Centre Edmonton,AB PreSale Closed
    7/1/2007 TCU Place saskatoon,SK PreSale Closed
    7/2/2007 MTS Centre Winnipeg,MB PreSale Closed
    7/3/2007 Thunder Bay Community Auditorium Thunder Bay,ON PreSale Closed
    7/5/2007 Molson Amphitheatre Toronto,ON PreSale Closed
    7/6/2007 Bell Centre Montreal,QC PreSale Closed
    7/7/2007 John Labatt Centre London,ON PreSale Closed
    7/10/2007 Moncton Coliseum Moncton,NB PreSale Closed
    7/11/2007 Charlottetown Civic Centre Charlottetown,PE PreSale Closed
    7/13/2007 Cunard Centre Halifax,NS PreSale Closed
    7/14/2007 Savoy Theatre Glace Bay,NS PreSale Closed
    7/16/2007 Mile One Stadium St. John's,NL PreSale Closed
    7/22/2007 Cumberland County Civic Center Portland,ME PreSale Closed
    7/23/2007 Agganis Arena at Boston University Boston,MA PreSale Closed
    7/24/2007 Madison Square Garden New York,NY PreSale Closed
    7/25/2007 Chevrolet Theatre Wallingford,CT PreSale Closed
    7/27/2007 Grand Opera House Wilmington,DE PreSale Closed
    7/28/2007 George Mason University - Patriot Center Fairfax,VA PreSale Closed
    7/29/2007 House of Blues - Myrtle Beach North Myrtle Beach,SC PreSale Closed
    7/30/2007 Sloss Furnaces National History Landmark Birmingham,AL PreSale Closed
    7/31/2007 Snowden Grove Amphitheater Southaven,MS PreSale Closed
    9/21/2007 Greek Theatre Berkeley,CA PreSale Closed
    9/24/2007 Egan Center ANCHORAGE,AK On Sale Now
    9/26/2007 Paramount Theatre Seattle,WA On Sale Now
    9/27/2007 Paramount Theatre Seattle,WA PreSale Closed
    9/28/2007 Idaho Center Nampa,ID On Sale Now
    9/29/2007 E Center West Valley City,UT PreSale Closed
    9/30/2007 Snow King Amphitheater Jackson,WY On Sale Now
    10/2/2007 Rushmore Plaza Civic Center Rapid City,SD On Sale Now
    10/11/2007 Kiva Auditorium ALBUQUERQUE,NM On Sale No

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

There's a regular edition and a deluxe--based on the way it looks over at Amazon.com, the deluxe is a fucking sweet investment.
    Sweet! I've been waiting for this for a while, heck it's about time these albums are back in stock.

Anyway, I've been listening to the new Paul McCartney album 'Memory Almost Full'. I like it, and it sounds like old Wings albums. But old Wings albums weren't always the most consistent records. The same is here it's inconsistent, but there is plenty of good that outweighs the bad. Overall it's a pretty good effort by Paul.

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Paul's new album, actually. My only problem is it feels like a side step from his last one.

gguthrie, I got lucky a few years ago and received an original near mint copy of Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 as a birthday gift from my aunt (she was working at the Wherehouse and found a copy). I was told that people who saw her with it were offering her in excess of $100 on the spot for the disc. I got lucky.

And now indie music report:
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...hortlist-prize
    VICTORY!

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those bastards never seem to come to the UK

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Paul's new album, actually. My only problem is it feels like a side step from his last one.

gguthrie, I got lucky a few years ago and received an original near mint copy of Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 as a birthday gift from my aunt (she was working at the Wherehouse and found a copy). I was told that people who saw her with it were offering her in excess of $100 on the spot for the disc. I got lucky.

And now indie music report:
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...hortlist-prize
    VICTORY!
    nice grab with the Wilburys!

Country
    Country Flag

Ayuh.

I found a copy of the deluxe of the re-release set today at Best Buy. It's really nice--I suggest one try to find and buy it.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone know the band Smoke City? I really liked their song Underwater Love and was thinking of getting the album (released sometime in the 90's) but as its not available to order anymore I was going to have to go via ebay where the only copy I can find is going for over £10...is it worth it?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tvmorbid View Post
    Those bastards never seem to come to the UK

They are playing London tonight and Leeds tomorrow night.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They are playing at this cool place when they come to Birmingham. It's Sloss Furnace and it's exactly that. An old furnace. I saw Rage Against the Machine there. Front row! Well if you can call them rows, really just a mass of people slamming around into each other!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't make it out to Bonnaroo this year? Thanks to AT&T, you can catch The
    White Stripes’ complete performance Webcast LIVE from Bonnaroo on Sunday,
    June 17th at 7:15 pm CST exclusively at attblueroom.com/music.

For access to The White Stripes’ live performance from Icky Thump Records on Wednesday, June 20th, log onto attblueroom.com/music, delivered to you exclusively by the AT&T blue room.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Country
    Country Flag

It just isn't the same.

Country
    Country Flag

Second Spin--great used CD store in Santa Monica. Bought:
    1. Mars Audiac Quintet--Stereolab
    2. Switched On--Stereolab
    3. replacement copy of Loveless--My Bloody Valentine
    4. either/or--Elliott Smith
    5. hard copy of Chocolate and Cheese--Ween

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast