Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43924609
    Pop group Abba have returned to the studio to record their first new music since the 1980s.

The Swedish quartet said the new material was an "unexpected consequence" of their recent decision to put together a "virtual reality" tour.

"We all four felt that, after some 35 years, it could be fun to join forces again and go into the studio," the band said on Instagram.

"And it was like time stood still."

No release date has been set for the new songs - but one of them, titled I Still Have Faith In You, will be performed in December on a TV special broadcast by the BBC and NBC.

Abba's spokesperson Gorel Hanser described the new songs, saying: "The sound will be familiar, but also modern."

The studio sessions were "like old times", she told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.

"Easy as anything. It didn't feel weird that they hadn't been in the studio together for 35 years."

But Hanser said the group would not perform live, other than as holograms in the forthcoming Abba Avatar tour.

"No, you can not expect them to join forces on stage again," she said. "They will not do that."

The band have resisted pressure to reform since they stopped recording together in 1982, despite a reported $1bn (£689m) offer for to tour in 2000.

In an interview with the BBC in 2013, Agnetha Faltskog said she preferred to leave the band in the past.

"It was such a long time ago, and we are getting older, and we have our different lives," she explained.

News of the new material comes in a bumper year for Abba fans. An immersive exhibition based on the band's career is running on London's South Bank, while Chess, the musical Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson wrote with Sir Tim Rice, is being revived in the West End.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Please God, let the holograms be wearing leisure suits!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I don't think there's a Tool thread, so I'll just toss this here:

This is a hell of a way to get an update, but it is what it is (which is: random bits of Tool news sprinkled throughout a 10:32 video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVoWPLCxjv4

Highlights:
    - new album has 6 or 7 songs, each of which is over 10 minutes long
    - "each song is almost like a full album, in regards to how much they've packed into it, so someone could still get the full album experience by listening to just one song"
    - they consider it their best
    - the drums are done, the bass is half-done, the guitar will be done after that, and the vocals last
    - one song is the heaviest they've ever written and the vocals were even more intense than those on Ticks & Leeches (but then I thought the vocals weren't yet recorded? don't ask me)
    - all artwork will be done after recording is complete

No release date was mentioned or guessed at...but someone said a band member this month (May 2018 ) said "can you wait 7 months?," which suggests around December.

By mentioning this December as a tentative release date, of course, I have guaranteed it won't be out before June 2019.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Sweet! I love MJK! I've seen TOOL three times and A Perfect Circle once. I haven't seen Puscifer but this video did amuse me.
    spoiler

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Really awesome list: https://www.npr.org/2018/07/30/63349...-century-women

Lots of songs I never heard before so it will take a while to get through!

Country
    Country Flag

Party time!

Anyone here a big Prince fan? If you recall, when we had our gigantic music tournament, there was no or very little Prince music on YouTube. Well recently a deal was reached that made his music finally available for streaming, and most of Prince's stuff is now up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI...iew=50&sort=dd

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/pr...ly-1202908647/
    As part of an agreement struck in June, the Prince Estate and Sony’s Legacy Recordings today launched their first round of catalog digital releases with a set of 23 albums originally issued between 1995 and 2010.

The recordings, which include such popular albums as “The Gold Experience,” “3121” and “Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic” as well as a new 37-track compilation called “Prince Anthology 1995-2010,” had been largely unavailable for many years. All are now available across all major streaming services and digital service providers. Many of these albums are available for the first time for streaming and download, adding more than 300 songs to the artist’s online in-print catalogue.

The recordings date from the latter half of Prince career, in which the intensely prolific artist released as many as four albums a year, either through his own labels or via one-off deals with indies or major labels.

Curiously, the artist’s biggest hit from that period — “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World,” which reached No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in April of 1994 — is not included, although it was part of the original tracklist for “The Gold Experience.” Reps for the estate and Sony declined comment, but a source close to the situation tells Variety that the song is “on legal hold as a result of existing litigation.” (The song was originally issued on the indie Delmark Records after Prince’s label at the time, Warner Bros., with whom he was publicly sparring, reportedly declined to release it; after its chart success, the song was included on Prince’s next album for Warner, “The Gold Experience.”)

Assembled and curated under the auspices of The Prince Estate, “Prince Anthology: 1995-2010” opens with the title track from 1996’s “Emancipation” (“This is my most important record,” Prince said of his first album released after he’d left his original label, Warner Bros. Records) and closing with the anthemic “We March” (from 1995’s The Gold Experience).

Starting in 2021, Sony/Legacy’s distribution rights will be expanded to include 12 Prince non-soundtrack catalog albums, featuring music recorded by the artist from the 1978-1996 era for distribution in the United States. Music from this period covered under the agreement includes the albums “Prince” (1979), “Dirty Mind” (1980), “Controversy” (1981), “1999” (1982), “Around the World in a Day” (1985), “Sign ‘O’ The Times” (1987), “Lovesexy” (1988), “Diamonds and Pearls” (1991) and “[Love Symbol]” (1992). Prince’s soundtrack albums, including “Purple Rain,” “Parade” and “Batman,” will remains with Warner.

The announcement includes no mention of physical product, but it seems likely that many of the albums will be released on vinyl at some point in the future.

Prince catalogue titles newly available digitally via SME/Legacy are:

The Gold Experience (1995) (“The Most Beautiful Girl in the World” greyed out, partial album streaming only; album unavailable for download)
    Chaos and Disorder (1996)
    Emancipation (1996)
    Crystal Ball (1998)
    The Truth (1998)
    Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic (1999)
    Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic (2001)
    The Rainbow Children (2001)
    One Nite Alone… (2002)
    One Nite Alone…Live! (2002)
    One Nite Alone…Live – The Aftershow: It Ain’t Over (Up Late with Prince & The NPG) (2002)
    Xpectation (2003)
    N.E.W.S. (2003)
    C-Note (2004)
    Musicology (2004)
    The Chocolate Invasion (Trax from the NPG Music Club: Volume 1) (2004)
    The Slaughterhouse (Trax from the NPG Music Club: Volume 2) (2004)
    3121 (2006)
    Planet Earth (2007)
    Indigo Nights (2008)
    LOtUSFLOW3R (2009)
    MPLSoUND (2009)
    20Ten (2010)
    Prince Anthology: 1995-2010
    Here's one of my old favorites:

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

This song cuts me up. In a good way.

Country
    Country Flag

Violent Femmes is such a cool band

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    ...By mentioning this December as a tentative release date, of course, I have guaranteed it won't be out before June 2019.
    I don't know about June, but apparently 2019 is Tool's target year, as Maynard tweeted "#2019" (among other things) in an "update" tweet on 9/10/18.

Fun facts: when Tool last released an album...
    ...there were no iPhones
    ...North Korea had no nuclear weapons
    ...the Harry Potter series was unfinished.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It's been so long since a new Tool album I'm not sure I even like them anymore.

...By mentioning this December as a tentative release date, of course, I have guaranteed it won't be out before June 2019.
    I don't know about June, but apparently 2019 is Tool's target year, as Maynard tweeted "#2019" (among other things) in an "update" tweet on 9/10/18.

Fun facts: when Tool last released an album...
    ...there were no iPhones
    ...North Korea had no nuclear weapons
    ...the Harry Potter series was unfinished.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    It's been so long since a new Tool album I'm not sure I even like them anymore.
    Well, unfortunately for me, I still do, and Tom Morello's comments ("epic, majestic, symphonic, brutal, beautiful, tribal, mysterious, deep, sexy and VERY Tool.") on the new Tool material he heard only cranked up my excitement for it (although "sexy" has me scratching my head).

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Violent Femmes is such a cool band
    I am just now getting around to exploring their music. My whole life, I wasn't even sure I liked his voice. But, fuck. Now I'm absolutely in love with the anxious, trembling sound of it. I'm so glad I'm finally checking them out. There really is nothing quite like falling in love with some new music.

Country
    Country Flag

Wise words indeed!

Country
    Country Flag

This is crazy:

Country
    Country Flag

And this was such and enjoyable and educational watch (playlist):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0YTkynxNujVCl2

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

EUROPEAN SUMMER VACATION 2019 EDITION
    We promised we would be back and it’s the return of the European summer vacation! Beginning May 1, 2019... 25 cities, 20 countries, black tickets, enhanced experiences, free albums and downloads, and more!!

Fan Club presales begin tomorrow, Tuesday, September 25 at 10 AM CEST for Legacy Members and 11 AM CEST for Fifth Members. Tickets will go on sale to the general public starting at 10 AM local time on Friday, September 28th.

May 1, 2019 / Lisbon, Portugal / Estádio do Restelo
    May 3, 2019 / Madrid, Spain / Valdebebas
    May 5, 2019 / Barcelona, Spain / Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys
    May 8, 2019 / Milan, Italy / SNAI San Siro Hippodrome
    May 10, 2019 / Zürich, Switzerland / Letzigrund
    May 12, 2019 / Paris, France / Stade de France
    June 8, 2019 / Dublin, Ireland / Slane Castle
    June 11, 2019 / Amsterdam, Netherlands / Johan Cruijff Arena
    June 13, 2019 / Köln, Germany / RheinEnergieStadion
    June 16, 2019 / Brussels, Belgium / Koning Boudewijnstadion
    June 18, 2019 / Manchester, England / Etihad Stadium
    June 20, 2019 / London, England / Twickenham Stadium
    July 6, 2019 / Berlin, Germany / Olympiastadion
    July 9, 2019 / Göteborg, Sweden / Ullevi
    July 11, 2019 / Copenhagen, Denmark / Telia Parken
    July 13, 2019 / Trondheim, Norway / Granåsen
    July 16, 2019 / Hämeenlinna, Finland / Kantolan Tapahtumapuisto
    July 18, 2019 / Tartu, Estonia / Raadi Airfield
    July 21, 2019 / Moscow, Russia / Luzhniki Stadium
    August 14, 2019 / Bucharest, Romania / Arena Națională
    August 16, 2019 / Vienna, Austria / Ernst-Happel-Stadion
    August 18, 2019 / Prague, Czech Republic / Airport Letnany
    August 21, 2019 / Warsaw, Poland / PGE Narodowy
    August 23, 2019 / Munich, Germany / Olympiastadion
    August 25, 2019 / Mannheim, Germany / Palastzelt Maimarktgelände

Read More

Fan Club Presale Info
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    We promised we would be back and it’s the return of the European summer vacation! Beginning May 1, 2019... 25 cities, 20 countries, black tickets, enhanced experiences, free albums and downloads, and more!!

Fan Club presales begin tomorrow, Tuesday, September 25 at 10 AM CEST for Legacy Members and 11 AM CEST for Fifth Members. Tickets will go on sale to the general public starting at 10 AM local time on Friday, September 28th.

Read More

Fan Club Presale Info

It would be nice to make it more clear which ban all this info was for.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Weezer and Weird Al, suddenly life ain't so bad....

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

Read More

Fan Club Presale Info

It would be nice to make it more clear which ban all this info was for.

It must have been in the heading which I didn't copy!!!

METALLICA
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

https://pitchfork.com/news/sonic-you...-nation-event/
    Sonic Youth have announced an event to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their landmark 1988 album Daydream Nation. “Sonic Youth: 30 Years of Daydream Nation” is a night of films and talks related to the record. It takes place at Portland’s Hollywood Theatre on October 20 and will include excerpts from Lance Bangs’ new concert film Daydream Nation. The film shows the band performing the titular album in full in 2007.

In addition to Bangs’ film, the Hollywood Theatre will screen Charles Atlas’ 1989 documentary Put Blood in the Music (about Sonic Youth and the New York noise scene), and On Rust, which presents early footage of the band performing on Dutch television. The evening will also feature a conversation with drummer Steve Shelley, Bangs, and the band’s archivist Aaron Mullan.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    https://pitchfork.com/news/sonic-you...-nation-event/
    Sonic Youth have announced an event to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their landmark 1988 album Daydream Nation. “Sonic Youth: 30 Years of Daydream Nation” is a night of films and talks related to the record. It takes place at Portland’s Hollywood Theatre on October 20 and will include excerpts from Lance Bangs’ new concert film Daydream Nation. The film shows the band performing the titular album in full in 2007.

In addition to Bangs’ film, the Hollywood Theatre will screen Charles Atlas’ 1989 documentary Put Blood in the Music (about Sonic Youth and the New York noise scene), and On Rust, which presents early footage of the band performing on Dutch television. The evening will also feature a conversation with drummer Steve Shelley, Bangs, and the band’s archivist Aaron Mullan.
    This reminds me that I never got around to finishing exploring that playlist you shared. I got distracted by discovering The Violent Femmes and then The Menzingers and I promise I will get back to Sonic Youth at some point.

Country
    Country Flag

Take your time! I know it’s a lot. OCD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast