Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It took many years for me to start to appreciate country music. When I was a teen I couldn't listen to any of it. Now I can handle it a lot better. I suppose getting your heart broken a few times can help. I still don't like modern country/pop crap that gets put out these days but the country classics are pretty awesome.

Okie from Muskogee - Merle Haggard
    Well now...since you like Country Music.... you are different from me...therefore... you are wrong and MUST be KILLED!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It took many years for me to start to appreciate country music. When I was a teen I couldn't listen to any of it. Now I can handle it a lot better. I suppose getting your heart broken a few times can help. I still don't like modern country/pop crap that gets put out these days but the country classics are pretty awesome.

Well now...since you like Country Music.... you are different from me...therefore... you are wrong and MUST be KILLED!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

How do you feel about Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am an old fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I am an old fucker.

Ha! I'm no spring chicken. Trent is 50 now and NIN started in 1988, just 1 year after Appetite for Destruction came out. They ain't nothing new you old fucker

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Speaking of country classics, this will always be one of my favorites:

Spoiler:

And, you know, I grew up hearing this version my whole life and didn't know until a few nights ago that Willie Nelson originally did the song with Waylon Jennings. (I listened to that version and thought it sucked, to be honest). This was the only Willie Nelson version I could find on youtube.

"They'd rather give you a song than diamonds and gold" is a pretty fucking awesome line, in my opinion.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glenn Frey RIP

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I reckon now Hell WILL have to freeze over for another reunion!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/201...thered/480078/
    Musicians like Ellington are too often praised but not listened to—many people can tell you that he is a jazz icon, some can name a hit (“Take the ‘A’ Train,” “Satin Doll,” “Mood Indigo,” etc.), but few truly delve into the work. This isn’t just to chastise listeners—I’m guilty of this as well. Hearing scratchy old transfers from 78-rpm discs, it’s hard to tell what’s really happening, or why fans and fellow musicians were so bowled over at the time. Some instruments don’t cut through, nuance is lost, harmonies are clouded.

Recently, however, a rare recording of “Hot and Bothered” has surfaced, along with a pair of Louis Armstrong tracks. The recording (embedded above) is from October 1, 1928, but it sounds beautifully clear—certainly better than the commonly available versions. (See the bottom of this note for a comparison.)

The provenance of these new versions is a little foggy. A man named Jonathan Holmes posted them on YouTube, saying they were digitized by his friend Nick Dellow, an audio engineer, who got them from metal “mother records,” which haven’t degraded or been scratched or worn down like the shellac originals. It’s unclear how exactly Dellow got the mother records, how many of them of survive, or whether listeners might be in for a long string of similar delights. Apparently these mother records were sent by Okeh Records, a once-leading (and recently relaunched) jazz label, to Germany for Odeon Records to press versions.

Here’s a delightful explanation of how mother records work, taken from the November 1918 issue of The Tonearm, a internal monthly magazine published by the Columbia Gramophone Company. (The issue also lauds the war effort and warns against the Spanish Influenza.)

This master record as already noted is a negative. The record which we play on our machine is a positive, the exact reproduction of the original wax disc, and, of course, must be pressed from a negative. There is no reason why records could not be made from the master record, except that it is much too valuable and would soon be worn out in the press. So from the copper master record there is cast still another, a positive, known as the mother record. Several of these are made from each master record, the material being an alloy of copper and nickel, harder than the master record itself. And from these mother records—positives—are cast the stampers, from which the actual records of commerce are pressed. The stampers, of a still harder metal than the mother records, are negatives. The final record which dispenses sweet music for you at home is, it will be noted, the fifth stage in the process...

I’m particularly struck by the guitar solo here. The guitar didn’t take much of a starring role in big-band jazz until the 1930s and the rise of the electric guitar; an acoustic instrument just couldn’t cut through the noise of a large swing group. But the guitar solo on “Hot and Bothered,” by the great Lonnie Johnson, comes through crisp and clear.

Here, for reference, is a recording taken from a standard record:

This is a riot. Around the 13 minute mark we get Rick James' opinion of Prince.

The Rick James Extended Interview

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...contest-889304
    The Eurovision Song Contest, the pan-European musical competition known to produce kitschy acts, will air live in the U.S. for the first time ever on Viacom's Logo, the European Broadcasting Union said Monday.

Logo, which is available in nearly 50 million homes, will show the 61st annual competition's grand final on Saturday, May 14, starting at 3 p.m. ET. It also will stream in the U.S. on LogoTV.com and the LogoTV mobile app.

This year's contest will be held in Stockholm, after Sweden's Mans Zelmerlow won last year's competition with his song "Heroes," with the semifinals to be held on May 10 and 12 followed by the grand final on May 14. Competing will be the 20 qualifiers from the semis, the Big 5 countries of France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the U.K. and reigning champion Sweden.

“We are thrilled that the world’s biggest entertainment show is being broadcast live in one of the biggest TV markets for the very first time,” Eurovision Song Contest executive supervisor Jon Ola Sand said in a statement. “The Eurovision Song Contest is now a truly global phenomenon, and we are extremely happy that U.S viewers now get to join those all over Europe, Australia and Asia in experiencing the grand final of the world’s longest-running annual TV music competition."

The contest also will be seen in the 42 participating nations, as well as in China, New Zealand, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Portugal.

The Eurovision Song Contest reached nearly 200 million television viewers worldwide last year. The 61st edition celebrates the theme “Come Together."

The contest's voting rules have been changed this year. It will now see votes split, with each country's jury vote cast first. Viewer votes across all countries will be added in later and announced at the end. The idea behind the change is that a song that scored poorly with the judges could still jump should the public really like it. In the past, the winner has often been known long before voting announcements came to a close.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

So.. is this just an "International Idol" thing...I cannot take more Pop music or pretty boys or pre-teen gals.

What is meant by "kitschy acts?"

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

And now it´s again time for the biggest music event in the world

The Eurovision Song Contest - livestram
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/webtv

Country
    Country Flag

Default Prince Vs. Michael Jackson

Despite the home made quality of this, it is actually worth watching. It examines and compares the trajectory of both men's music careers up until around the year 1985. It has some very cool archival footage and is informative. We do get the maker's opinions on music throughout (occasionally hilarious) and there are several misspellings on the title cards and the music that accompanies the title cards is annoying but all that aside, it's pretty neat!

Prince Vs. Michael Jackson Part 1

Prince Vs. Michael Jackson Part 2

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    And now it´s again time for the biggest music event in the world

The Eurovision Song Contest - livestram
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/webtv

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

If you haven't heard Dion's New York Is My Home featuring Paul Simon, give it a listen. It's so damn smooth.

http://youtu.be/UBf9sSvv85g

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default General Music Discussion

I thought this thread was overdue.

Perhaps we can start with a discussion of Dylan's recent Nobel prize for Lit.

I think he's a talented musician and a great song writer but I'm not crazy about his singing voice. The award surprised me.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Tommy you really MUST give up the Crystal Meth.

*unwraps a veggie platter for Tommy's intervention.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I have ranch dip.

I have meth. LOL No Dylan Albums though.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Stop cutting your crystals on my copy of Before the Flood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast