Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Tomorrow, the UK xmas no. 1 will be announced. Just thought i'd mention it here because the current war for UK xmas no. 1 is, quite possibly, one of the most unlikeliest wars in music history. For the past few years it's usually been the winner of music talent show the X Factor, and it seemed it was going to be that way again with this year's winner, Joe McEldry's cover of Miley Cyrus's The Climb.

However, this year, the X Factor winner has been faced with the most unlikely of competition:

Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name.

That's right: a song over 17 years old by a rap/metal group might very well become the UK xmas no. 1. Yesterday it was already ahead of The Climb by a few thousand copies, but it looks like right now it's neck and neck. The reason the song has become so popular? Facebook. A group on facebook had launched a campaign to get the truly fucking awesome song to the top spot, and surprisingly it's done considerably well! Here's a link: http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...8594104&ref=ts

Just thought i'd share that with any Rage fans on this board, or anyone who's interested in how brilliantly strange the UK is.

One more thing: apparently, the X Factor winner had never even heard of Killing In The Name until now. Regarding the singer's quality of music taste: 'nuff said.

Go RATM!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

humph...... should have been the muppets,

and apparantley RATM are signed to simon cowell label hmmm strange then how everyone would win

Spoiler:
    hey doc, if your on facebook why aren't we friends? i got completley dissed yesterday dr who related)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Tomorrow, the UK xmas no. 1 will be announced. Just thought i'd mention it here because the current war for UK xmas no. 1 is, quite possibly, one of the most unlikeliest wars in music history. For the past few years it's usually been the winner of music talent show the X Factor, and it seemed it was going to be that way again with this year's winner, Joe McEldry's cover of Miley Cyrus's The Climb.

However, this year, the X Factor winner has been faced with the most unlikely of competition:

Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name.

That's right: a song over 17 years old by a rap/metal group might very well become the UK xmas no. 1. Yesterday it was already ahead of The Climb by a few thousand copies, but it looks like right now it's neck and neck. The reason the song has become so popular? Facebook. A group on facebook had launched a campaign to get the truly fucking awesome song to the top spot, and surprisingly it's done considerably well! Here's a link: http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...8594104&ref=ts

Just thought i'd share that with any Rage fans on this board, or anyone who's interested in how brilliantly strange the UK is.

One more thing: apparently, the X Factor winner had never even heard of Killing In The Name until now. Regarding the singer's quality of music taste: 'nuff said.

Go RATM!
    They succeeded, didn't they?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

they did

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

the muppets was robbed

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Yet another reason Christmas '09 was a particularly good one.
    Not the greatest song in the world, but I always enjoy pissing on the norm.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

It is sooooo cool that RATM ended up number 1 in the uk
    though I find it rather disturbing that some dude from a cowell-helmed reality tv show doing a cover of a hannah montana "song" would have otherwise been the number one christmas song...
    The removal of crappy music from the charts should become the norm rather than just a single joyous event
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Eurgh. I agree, Flagg...the thought of it pains me - and every god damn year they churn out the same crap, and every god dam year it reaches number one! Madness! I'm glad to see some change, and it'd be nice if it stuck.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally break down and get a Pandora, and it's just like listening to my iPod. I have all this stuff. Is there some sort of obscurity-meter I can turn up?
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Pandora is nice, I use it and lastFM to discover music i havent heard b4

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I'll second lastfm, and Allmusic is another site I'll occasionally visit to find new things. Allmusic has some unique features (like Influenced By and Moods) that make up for its slowness and other flaws. lastfm is best for straightahead genre surfing.

I also have to plug some awesome freeform radio like Hollow Earth Radio and WFMU ...you'll never know what you'll end up listening to, I've discovered some great stuff that way.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. Allmusic taught me how to categorize everything.

But lemme check check dem freeform radios...
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

So I um... have been getting statements of genuine HATE for 80's metal. Is this a prevailing emotion at this time?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not from me. I like alot of it.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    So I um... have been getting statements of genuine HATE for 80's metal. Is this a prevailing emotion at this time?
    well for me I just loathe 80s pop metal, where new wave, goth rock, high pitched self indulgent guitar solos and guys with fireworks strapped to their groins collide into shapeless mush
    with one exception that is: van halen with diamond dave

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    well for me I just loathe 80s pop metal, where new wave, goth rock, high pitched self indulgent guitar solos and guys with fireworks strapped to their groins collide into shapeless mush
    with one exception that is: van halen with diamond dave

Yeah I can understand that. I have always despised Bon Jovi and Poison... but what of Krokus, Maiden, Dio, Anthrax types?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maiden, Dio, Anthrax and so on... those one's never dies - never gets too old!

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Traveler scottish_rogue is on a distinguished road scottish_rogue's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Your musical tastes.

So I'm curious what all you people out there enjoy listening to. It's interesting to see what people are into and why they like certain artists or bands.

I listen to a variety of music, but I'd have to say 95% or better of what I listen to is pretty heavy. Just going from some of the music I have on a playlist of mine, I listen to stuff like Lamb Of God, The Black Dahlia Murder, Hatebreed, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Krisiun, Kataklysm, Nevermore, and Meshuggah to name just a few.

I'm not sure what it is exactly that makes me so attracted to this type of music, but I love listening to it as well as playing it. I play guitar and bass, and am attempting to teach myself piano as well, but it's quite different than a stringed instrument. I also enjoy other stuff like folk, Celtic, bluegrass, down tempo, dark ambient, blues, and of course older rock.

Anyone with similar interests wanting to talk about music or something like that, feel free to add me on my YouTube page...www.youtube.com/savagesanity. Hope to hear what some of you all are interested in out there.
    "Mouth full of dirt, your name is removed from the registry. Saint Peter greets, with empty eyes, then turns and locks the gate."

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hi Friend, welcome to the site.

We have a whole thread topic on Music ... Click Here ... which includes discussion of individual bands, and general music themes.

This will likely get merged over there eventually.
    Last edited by turtlex; 02-24-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling ... of course.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Well, so long as it isn't moved yet turtlex, I'm going to post here. Hope that's chill.

Quote Originally Posted by scottish_rogue View Post
    Lamb Of God, The Black Dahlia Murder, Hatebreed, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Krisiun, Kataklysm, Nevermore, and Meshuggah to name just a few.
    Scottish, you are my favorite member of this site at the moment! LoG, TBDM, HB, and Meshuggah (can't really shorten that) are all my favorite metal bands (with a few additions, such as Tool, Mudvayne, and August Burns Red).
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey SR, welcome to the site.

As Turtlex pointed out, this thread will be merged with the General Music Discussion thread, located in the 'The Forge' sub-category. I'll post there once it's merged so you can find it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Merged.

Traveler scottish_rogue is on a distinguished road scottish_rogue's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Well, so long as it isn't moved yet turtlex, I'm going to post here. Hope that's chill.

Quote Originally Posted by scottish_rogue View Post
    Lamb Of God, The Black Dahlia Murder, Hatebreed, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Krisiun, Kataklysm, Nevermore, and Meshuggah to name just a few.
    Scottish, you are my favorite member of this site at the moment! LoG, TBDM, HB, and Meshuggah (can't really shorten that) are all my favorite metal bands (with a few additions, such as Tool, Mudvayne, and August Burns Red).
    Oh nice, another metal head on the site I really like those bands. Those are just a few. I'm always up to finding out about new bands though. Any that you like you can suggest to me? If I haven't heard of them I'll check them out.
    "Mouth full of dirt, your name is removed from the registry. Saint Peter greets, with empty eyes, then turns and locks the gate."

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Anybody here listen to La Ley?
    I have a friend from Chile, and she and I have been 'trading' music. She suggested a few of their songs, and I ended up ordering two of their CDs from Amazon yesterday. Until it arrives, It'd be cool if someone could suggest more of their songs.
    >.>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast