Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

somehow, i knew you would be the person who knew of it. bernie worrell is the man. i knew much of him from both talking heads and parliament/funkadelic, but his work with bill laswell, well that's just another side of his genius altogether. the julian schnabel album is nothing to write home about [although i did, but only as he is a somewhat relative through marriage to my family] but it is interesting and definitely fun to hear a subdued buckethead.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Subdued Buckethead--DOES NOT COMPUTE!
    But it seems like a fun album based on everything I know about it. My only concerns lie in Schnabel's performance, which seem to be justified.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Subdued Buckethead--DOES NOT COMPUTE!
    But it seems like a fun album based on everything I know about it. My only concerns lie in Schnabel's performance, which seem to be justified.
    to be completely honest, his singing is not as bas as i thought it would be. his lyrics, that's another story entirely. now, balance out what i'm saying with the knowledge that my favorite singer is tom waits. julian actually sounds a bit like a very young waits [before the grumblier singing started], and a bit like Leonard Cohen. Better than I thought it would be, but far from great.

Country
    Country Flag

OK. I'll look for it at Amoeba next time, between the searches for William Basinski albums.

Basinski I know of, but cannot say I have heard any of his work. Any suggestions on where might be a good place to start with his stuff? It sounds like it might be right up my alley [I love interesting use of tape loops].

Country
    Country Flag

The Disintegration Loops. By far his greatest work--all four discs. The idea of just letting a tape loop destroy itself is simple yet profound, and the sounds that are (and later aren't) there rank as some of the best minimal/ambient music I've ever heard.

it sounds like the just the kind of thing i would enjoy. thanks!

Country
    Country Flag

No problem.
    Adam Forkner makes fantastic ambient music under the White Rainbow name. I proudly own his entire output as White Rainbow and VVRSSNN, and recommend his output whenever the chance arises.

i shall add it to my list of things to check out. i'm just so glad to have found another zorn fan! it helps me put a little perspective to how you listen to things bc i know zorn is an acquired taste.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=1364 This discussion had me listing about 1/5th of what I listened to last year. I pretty much ingest anything music, and my recent trip to Amoeba had me bringing home Lungs + Songs About Fucking (Big Black) and Budd (Rapeman) home on vinyl for more noise punk to savor.

i too have a bit of a music obssession. people ask why i "need" an 80gb iPod, but i filled it in a matter of hours, and have to take off something to put on something new. my old 20 gb i use for storage, as well as having filled two 80gb external hard drives and both drives on my old pc [about 150 gigs]. then there's the stuff i've yet to digitize.... i'm sure you know how it goes.

as for music i am listening to these days, we just saw sharon jones & the dap kings the other night. after listening them for a few years now it was a real treat to see them. in short, it's the closest i'm gonna get to having seen james brown. she is billed as "the lady james brown" and she lives up to the billing. as for the band, they are as solid a funk/soul band as i've heard, and it is a genre i pride myself on knowing inside and out. the dk's combine the best parts of the JB's and the MG's, but have a sound that's their own as well. a lot of it is the horn section. the guys in the band comprise most of the whole daptone records stable of bands, so the horns are also the horns from the budos band, my fav of the bunch. their horn sound i would best describe as 70's kung fu funk. it's very melodic and very much drives the groove. combine that with the fireball that is miss sharon jones, and you have a funk show that brought the full house down. i've been wearing out the 2 budos band albums and a couple other daptone records items since. fyi - if you do not know, the dap kings were the band for amy winehouse's album.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, the Dap Kings are pretty fucking awesome. While not a Winehouse fan, when I heard her disc I loved the horns (as a trombonist and saxophonist, I appreciated the musicianship). I've currently got about 62GB of music, but at least 500 CDs and another 100 or so records. Not too bad considering my age.

my wife is more a fan of ms. winehouse than i, but i definitely appreciated tat she used the dk's as a band for her album and tour. it backs up my comparisons of them to the mg's as the mg's had an existence as the stax house band aside from releasing their own records. the dk's ooze with that same feel. i did not know you were a horn player, very cool. if you appreciate the dk's horns, DEF check out the Budos Band albums, also on Daptone Records. It is the same horn section, and then some, but in an instrumental afro-funk groove context. It makes me wish I could play a horn. The best I can do is try to pick up some of the phrasing in my guitar playing. of all of the daptone bands, they are the one i couldn't eliminate from my collection.

EDIT: Here is some video of the Budos Band

1. them live playing 'Up from the South'

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=8u5fNNaXFH4"]YouTube - BUDOS BAND[/ame]

2. a video someone made for "Volcano Song"

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=tTi7I92ArXU"]YouTube - Budos Band - Volcano Song[/ame]

and yes, you have a very respectably sized music collection, and seem intent on growing it larger, always a good thing.

Country
    Country Flag

As a certain favourite philosopher of mine said: Without music, life would be a mistake. I adhere to this statement.

Country
    Country Flag

Jackfuckinpot!
    I just found 9 Jandek albums for free via the glory of Google and file servers!

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

I wasn't aware that Michael Kamen had passed away. That's too bad, I really enjoyed his works.

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

That song from the movie Once, "Falling Slowly" makes me wanna cry, it's haunting even without words, the melody is amazing.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Along the Path of the Beam The Man With No Name is on a distinguished road The Man With No Name's Avatar

Great! Many here have listed groups that I like. I see Zappa, Zorn, White Stripes, Squarepusher...I like a lot of electronic, experimental music as well. I'd say my favorite electronic music is from a group called Download. If anyone knows, Download is comprised of Cevin Key from Skinny Puppy fame and Phil Western. They have other little side projects too. I like them all. I dig some fusion jazz, from Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock. I love dub music very much, like King Tubby, Twilight Circus Dub Soundsystem, Scientist, Dub Trio etc...

My favorite group above all are the Melvins.

some cool stuff in your post there man with no name. good to have you here.

Default Buddy Miles - RIP

The great funk-rock drummer Buddy Miles has died at the age of 60. Miles is prob most well known for his work in Jimi Hendrix' "Band of Gypsys," as well as stellar work in the band Electric Flag [with the great buitarist Mike Bloomfield]. very sad. a great drummer goes to the clearing.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,2356173.story

Buddy Miles, 60; drummer with Hendrix, voice of California raisins
    From Times Staff and Wire Reports

February 28, 2008

Buddy Miles, the rock and R&B drummer, singer and songwriter whose eclectic career included stints playing with Jimi Hendrix and as the lead voice of the California Raisins, the animated clay figures that became an advertising phenomenon in the late 1980s, has died. He was 60.

Miles died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at his home in Austin, Texas, according to an announcement on his website.

A massive man with a distinctive, sculpted afro, Miles hit his peak of popularity when he joined Hendrix and bassist Billy Cox to form Hendrix's Band of Gypsys, which the New Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll called "the first black rock group." Miles had played with Hendrix on the guitarist's influential "Electric Ladyland" album released in 1968.

The Band of Gypsys made just one album, a live set recorded on New Year's Eve in 1969-70, and two of Miles' songs, "Them Changes" and "We Got to Live Together," were included on the album. He gave the recording a memorable drum riff on one of Hendrix's signature songs, "Machine Gun."

But, according to Miles, the Band of Gypsys association was brief and stormy. He told The Times in 1988 that Hendrix's management, not the guitarist himself, fired him within a month of the concert. He thought Hendrix's managers were leery of continuing with an all-black group.

"It had to be a racial thing," Miles told The Times. "I think it had to scare them because of the political aspect at the time."

Miles was born Sept. 5, 1947, in Omaha. He developed an interest in drums at an early age and by 12 was playing in his father's jazz combo. Within a couple of years he was in demand as a session player and a sideman, working with top-name R&B groups, including Ruby and the Romantics and the Delfonics. According to the Rolling Stone encyclopedia, he played on the session that produced the Jaynetts' 1963 hit "Sally Go Round the Roses."

While playing with Wilson Pickett in 1967, he was approached by guitarist Mike Bloomfield, who asked him to join the blues, rock and soul group Electric Flag. Miles played on three of the band's albums before forming his own group, the Buddy Miles Express, in 1968. Next came his association with Hendrix.

Over the years, Miles recorded two albums with Carlos Santana, one of which went platinum, and worked with other leading music figures, including Muddy Waters and John McLaughlin. He re-formed the Buddy Miles Express in the mid-1970s and had a hit with his song "Them Changes."

By the late 1970s, however, Miles' career came to a halt over convictions for grand theft and auto theft. He served time in the California Institution for Men at Chino and at San Quentin State Prison. He was incarcerated until 1985 and formed bands at both prisons.

After he was released, he sang with Santana's group and got the raisin gig while working on an album with the guitarist. The popular television commercials for the California Raisin Advisory Board featured a quartet of singing and dancing Claymation figures with Miles, as Buddy Raisin, doing the lead singing covering Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine."

The commercial's popularity spawned a million-selling offshoot album of remakes of rock and soul oldies, "The California Raisins Sing the Hit Songs."

Everyone should go out and buy Black Mountain's new album. It's like this crazy mash-up of pink floyd's structure,black sabbath's heaviness, and Neil Young's song writing...
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I swear Green Day needs to hurry up and pop out a new album. I'm itching for some new tunes.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Can you imagine what Metallica would have been like if Cliff Burton hadn't died?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpxOmksHrY"]YouTube - for whom the bell tolls[/ame]

*sigh*
    I bet they still would have had that great thrash sound and not started sucking.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Nine inch nails just released a new album!

nin.com <--- free dl'd

Quote Originally Posted by towerguard View Post
    Nine inch nails just released a new album!

nin.com <--- free dl'd
    They are also touring N. America this summer...

dates and pre-sale info can be found on their site at this link...

http://tour.nin.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast