Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Listening to it now--only on Nude (Track 3) and it's AWESOME! Nude makes me want to weep, it's so gorgeous. And 15 Step rocks glitchcore style, while Bodysnatchers is great straight up rock and fucking roll.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

Ok guys quick opinion poll

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqb5EcU65IQ"]YouTube - WHITESNAKE "Still of the night"[/ame]

How many Zeppelin songs can they steal in one song?

erm, Matt...that was just supposed to be a link, I like it this way too though, fix it if you think it's too much for the site.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Country
    Country Flag

Along the Path of the Beam Sympathy For The Devil is on a distinguished road Sympathy For The Devil's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im a huge Ryan Adams fan, not Bryan. Any fans of Ryan here? Also love the stones, zeppelin, the beatles, neil young, david bowie, Love, the doors, the pixies, the replacements, gram parsons, guns n roses and the smiths amongst others.

Country
    Country Flag

Not a Ryan Adams fan at all. Zep, Stones, Beatles, Bowie, Doors, Pixies and Smiths are all like classic and indie rock primer bands. Love are sadly underrated and unknown, as are the superb sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators. I've been listening to a lot of The Residents, Pumice, Burial, and Lightning Bolt recently.

Residents=experimental rock
    Pumice=lo-fi fuzz folk
    Burial=dubstep/DJ Shadow on downers/electronic
    Lightning Bolt=noise rock/noise punk

Oh yeah, and the usual diet of Circle Jerks, Black Flag, and Dead Kennedys in with the FZ.

Along the Path of the Beam Sympathy For The Devil is on a distinguished road Sympathy For The Devil's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Not a Ryan Adams fan at all. Zep, Stones, Beatles, Bowie, Doors, Pixies and Smiths are all like classic and indie rock primer bands. Love are sadly underrated and unknown, as are the superb sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators. I've been listening to a lot of The Residents, Pumice, Burial, and Lightning Bolt recently.

Residents=experimental rock
    Pumice=lo-fi fuzz folk
    Burial=dubstep/DJ Shadow on downers/electronic
    Lightning Bolt=noise rock/noise punk

Oh yeah, and the usual diet of Circle Jerks, Black Flag, and Dead Kennedys in with the FZ.
    How come u dont like ryan adams? Just not ur cup a tea?

Country
    Country Flag

Nope, he's just not my cup of tea at all. I'm open to everything, buy Ryan Adams never tickled my musical fancy.

Citizen of Gilead Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

Default Blood Like Rain

FINALLY!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNrpzvbdy8"]YouTube - Official Vicarious Music Video - Tool[/ame]
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

Country
    Country Flag

YES!! I'm looking forward to this DVD.

Indeed!

I'm glad they waited to release a video from the album.
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

Country
    Country Flag

Likewise.

I recently downloaded Trans and Everybody's Rockin' by Neil Young until I can buy them on CD.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

The Residents strike me as having crushed the threshhold of musical experimentation. The last time I watched a DVD of their work it reminded me of performance art. Usually I mean that as an insult, but in their case it really worked.

Country
    Country Flag

I love The Residents. Everything they do is as cutting edge in art as it is music in terms of both experimentation and quality. If you saw their Cube-E performances or even the early Mark of the Mole performances, those were totally stage shows with music rather than a concert with a stage show.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Coachella line up was announced today.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Frunobulax, you seem to know your experimental music pretty well... have you listened to any of John Zorn's projects? I am particularly interested in knowing if you've heard any of Zorn's "Naked City" project?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_City_%28band%29

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ok! PM me your email, and I'll just be sending you stuff according to my own understanding of good and bad...
    dylan = good

Agreed.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I'd love to be at Coachella on the Sunday. Willie Nelson...Rage....The Roots....Awesome.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

That does look like an awesome lineup for Coachella.
    Rage again!
    Bjork live should be interesting, as well.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sympathy: are you going to the big day out?
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Gunslinger Apprentice Will is on a distinguished road Will's Avatar

I love The Residents. Everything they do is as cutting edge in art as it is music in terms of both experimentation and quality. If you saw their Cube-E performances or even the early Mark of the Mole performances, those were totally stage shows with music rather than a concert with a stage show.
    I've been interested in them for a while, but I'm kind of intimidated by all the stuff that's out there. Where's a good place to jump in?
    People said I was dumb, but I proved them.

Country
    Country Flag

R of G, Naked City is one of my all time favourite bands! Grand Guignol and the S/T are always amazing, and Eye serves the band like a glove (although Mike Patton did a great job elsewhere with the band). Pretty much anything Zorn gets me into a state of bliss, and Merzbow's 1930 released on his label stands as one of the greatest noise albums to date.

Will, I suggest either The Commercial Album, Fingerprince (and its brother EP Babyfingers), or Duck Stab/Buster and Glen. If you like Negativland, go for The Third Reich 'n Roll.

Gunslinger Apprentice Will is on a distinguished road Will's Avatar

Will, I suggest either The Commercial Album, Fingerprince (and its brother EP Babyfingers), or Duck Stab/Buster and Glen. If you like Negativland, go for The Third Reich 'n Roll.
    In retrospect, I should have known to try "The Commercial Album" I guess. I started listening to it a few minutes ago, very interesting. I'm liking this. Just heard Secrets, creeptacular.

Thanks for the advice.
    People said I was dumb, but I proved them.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

R of G, Naked City is one of my all time favourite bands! Grand Guignol and the S/T are always amazing, and Eye serves the band like a glove (although Mike Patton did a great job elsewhere with the band). Pretty much anything Zorn gets me into a state of bliss, and Merzbow's 1930 released on his label stands as one of the greatest noise albums to date.
    Thank Gan! Somebody I can talk Zorn with. I pretty much fall into the category of Zorn-worshipper. Naked City has always attracted me because I am a guitar player and both Frisell and Frith are heroes of mine, so to hear them play in Zorn project together, and across such a wide range of genres is a real treat.

My true love as far as Zorn projects go is Electric Masada, and I can tell you why in two words, Marc Ribot. Ribot is my single favorite living guitar player and the biggest inspiration on my own playing. All of the work he does with Zorn is top notch but Electric Masada specifically stands out. I'm too young to have seen the 1974-75 Miles Davis line-up I love so dearly, but seeing Electric Masada [at there home-base of Tonic no less] was about as close as I suspect I'll come to hearing something similar.

Ok, so since you hit the Zorn question out of the ballpark, here's my "have you heard this obscure album" question. this is one to which i have never received even a "heard of it" answer, but given some of the music to which you are aware, it is quite possible that this one crossed your path at some point. it's an album by artist/director julian schnabel called "every silver lining has a cloud." with schnabel on vocals, it features guest musicians bernie worrell, bill laswell, buckethead and nicky skopelitis among others. laswell produced it. it came out in the mid 90's though i didn't pick it up until i happened across it about four yrs ago. interesting stuff and a chance to hear some of these players in a very different context than usual.

Country
    Country Flag

I've heard of it--seriously! I'm a Bernie Worrell fan via way of Talking Heads, and Buckethead is an interesting enough character to keep me aware of his output. I've been trying to find a copy of it, but to no avail.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast