• 2: Only so-so

3 7.32%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never read

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bracket #3: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (1982)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There would be no need to hold any polls in that case. The Dark Tower as a single novel will get all 100%

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

do you think it would easily beat The Stand?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think so. Most people here, in my estimation, are Dark Tower fans first and King fans second. I may be wrong, but that's my sense when this question came up a couple times. Not me, though, I'm the other way around. I didn't start reading The Dark Tower until just a few years ago, with quite a sizable chunk of King books already read.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

On this site I'm sure it would. As Pablo said, I think a majority of people here are more DT fans, than King fans. But if you did a poll elsewhere I think it would be the opposite, with a lot of people never having read The Dark Tower. Most people I know have never even heard of it, and the few friends that I have that do read King, have not read it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

maybe we should some day have this event excluding the Dark Tower. To see how other books compete without it.

Country
    Country Flag

That's actually an intriguing idea. However, for better or worse, I bet The Stand will still win :grumble-grumble:

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I wish we would one day vote The Dark Tower as a novel. I wonder how it will compare to The Stand. I really really want to know this Battle Royale some time in the future.
    Well, in any case, it would be one of the few novels that could top The Stand at the weigh-in.

Country
    Country Flag

last chance to vote! the poll is closing!

John F. Kennedy Forge of the King is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

last chance to vote! the poll is closing!
    I'm glad I made it in on time

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I will say that almost every SK I have read is a 5 with maybe 5 or 6 rating lower and a few still yet to be read. I started reading SK when Salem's Lot came out as a paperback and still have yet to read Carrie and The Shining(I do own 1st/1st of both, hehe). Not sure what the hang up is there.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    There would be no need to hold any polls in that case. The Dark Tower as a single novel will get all 100%
    do you think it would easily beat The Stand?
    I don't think it would get the 100% (very close mind) for me as a complete work The Stand does seem a better all round novel that didn't let up for one instance (sorry Pablo)

As a complete novel, i think DT sagged in some places (Drawing, wastelands 10/10 from me, wizard, susannah not so much so)

As to whether it would beat The Stand, I agree with Heather that it would on this site, however in the wider arena I don't think so as a lot of SK readers adore the Stand and weren't that blown away with DT

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

If I were judging the Dark Tower as a whole instead of each installment, I would still vote for "IT".
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

as would bears

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    As a complete novel, i think DT sagged in some places (Drawing, wastelands 10/10 from me, wizard, susannah not so much so)
    I agree with this. In my opinion, TDT as a single novel would beat a lot of SK's other books, but if it could even be put into direct competition with it's own individual volumes, it would not win against every one of those.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    If I were judging the Dark Tower as a whole instead of each installment, I would still vote for "IT".
    as would bears
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Gunslinger has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.439024390 or 88.78%, placing 2nd (runner-up) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2