Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Phoenix Rises

Citizen of Gilead Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

Default The Phoenix Rises

Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

Chlorophyll absorbs light most strongly in the blue and red but poorly in the green portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, hence the green color of chlorophyll-containing tissues like plant leaves.
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

Notice the emphasis on the red and the blue, with "chlorophyll" in the middle (the image behind the band):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQuLMRP5qwU&feature=related"]YouTube - The Red by Chevelle[/ame]

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OK....and......??
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

The wonder bird Phoenix with its three eggs, the first full of air, the second hath two yolks, in the third a young cock pecks.

I just wonder what will rise from the ashes of Mars.

Fire and Ice.

Whoever hath eyes to see, can and will see rightly...Whoever hath ears to hear, shall not be called upon too loudly.

There is obviously hidden play going on with NASA and music and even our teachers.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice artwork and I like the music.

But I still have no idea what this thread is about.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

I don't either. I just ride the waves.

EDIT:
    The Philosopher's egg (stone)?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Works for me then.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Methinks psychobabble has two meanings.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

_
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I think some get upset that I can speak free about these things.

Symbols and colors used within speak to the subconscious. And, when crossing boundaries and surfaces there will always be surface tension.

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoy the free speak. I'm all about that. However, this seems a bit pointless currently.
    If anything, it's some good bulldada to increase my Slack.

Country
    Country Flag

It's only pointless to those who do not wish to see more in it.

I may be wrong but I think the point of this thread may have been to show the symbol for NASA's current mission to Mars. And what it might represent.

Pheonix = Rising from the Ashes = new life

So basically, Will might be thinking (I never know, for I don;t pretend to read minds) what exactly is this mission about? Habitating Mars?

He speaks in virtual riddles. I know it's not easy and most of the time is confusing, but that's just how he is.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Will is clearly off his chops.

Isn't this a Mozilla thing? (they renamed Firebird to Phoenix, and thats the symbol in the first post)
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

When did they rename Firefox to Phoenix? Did I miss a meeting?

I think Heather is right. I think it's about the Mars lander. But I always like a good Chevelle video.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
    The wonder bird Phoenix with its three eggs, the first full of air, the second hath two yolks, in the third a young cock pecks.
    this is where i get lost. could you explain what the first two eggs in this quote represent?

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I just got really high and this made more sense.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
    this is where i get lost. could you explain what the first two eggs in this quote represent?
    The Phoenix is a two headed bird...left and right, good and bad, male and female...

The Phoenix bird looking right is a symbol of "good", and to the left is "bad". In the NASA logo, the Phoenix is looking left.

Looking right:

There seem to be two groups, owls and roosters ("the young cock"). The owls watch over the night, while the roosters wake us up.
    ya know we ain't gonna die

EDIT:
    I found this:
    The Phoenix logo was chosen from artwork submitted by interested members of the Phoenix team in 2005. Most submissions were traditional: showing the lander on the Martian surface or designs based on the Phoenix name. Isabelle Tremblay of Montreal, Canada, won our logo contest with a more radical design which always reminds me of a Grateful Dead poster. She designed this logo in her spare time, her daytime job is system engineer for the Canadian Space Agency. She has helped the Canadian team provide and operate a sophisticated weather station for the Phoenix mission. The premier instrument of the station is the powerful LIDAR that sends laser beams into the sky to study clouds.

Our jazzy logo cleverly unites all the elements of our mission: the planet Mars, water, and fire. The Mars image in the background shows the northern polar cap and just to the left, still inside the arctic circle, a droplet of water swirls out into space from our landing site. Superimposed on the water is the fiery Phoenix bird scanning the Universe with a hunter’s eye. Clearly, the Phoenix is searching for something.

Remember the history of the mythical Phoenix. Throughout its 500-year life span it brings good fortune to those that see it. But as it finally ages and dies, it bursts into flames. A new Phoenix is reborn from the ashes of the old and thus continues for another 500 years. It is a popular myth throughout the world.

This is an apt symbol for the Phoenix mission that is built on the heritage of the Mars Polar Lander and the 2001 lander. When MPL was lost while landing on the southern polar layered terrain in 1999, the 2001 lander mission was canceled even though it was four months into its final assembly and test phase. The Phoenix mission has kept its costs low by leveraging the investments that NASA made in those two mission. We actually have launched the original 2001 lander, with a multitude of improvements and a new instrument suite, toward Mars on Aug. 4, 2007. Landing will take place on May 25, 2008, at approximately 4:30 p.m. PDT. Appropriately, this is Memorial Day.

NASA’s overall goal for the exploration of Mars follows the overarching theme: follow the water. Water shapes the planet by carving canyons and forming ice caps and perhaps glaciers. It is transported through the atmosphere affecting the climate that changes over the eons in response to orbital variations. When astronauts arrive on Mars, a source of water will be of prime importance. Finally, unfrozen water is the basis for life and the ingredients necessary for its genesis and growth. Truly, it is the holy grail of our exploration of the red planet.

Our scientific instruments also rely on fire and water to uncover the truth hidden in the soil minerals and chemicals. Our Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer (TEGA) instrument receives a sample from the robotic arm and captures it in a tiny oven. The heat is gradually raised within the oven to more than 1800° F vaporizing the water, carbon dioxide and organic material out of the sample. A sensitive mass spectrometer, an electronic nose if you like, records the composition of these vapors and our science team interprets these signatures to determine the soil properties.

A second instrument, MECA (Microscopy, Electrochemistry and Conductivity Analyzer), adds water to its soil sample and then performs a chemical analysis on the solution. Salts of various composition will modify the chemistry of the water and chemical sensors will relay the information back to Earth. MECA will also test the acidity of the solution along with any minor components that may be present.

The results of these two experiments allow the science team to understand the history of the northern permafrost and the potential for this important part of the planet to sustain life. All these ideas are incorporated into our colorful logo.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

owls and roosters ... i'll have to think about that one a bit.

i'm afraid i'm still lost about the significance of the first two eggs. failed attempts at bringing life?
    edit - okay yeah got it
    Last edited by Ruki; 11-22-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: just saw the edit on that last post

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i love owls

Daggy: Firebird and thunderbird are different products from Mozilla, seperate from Firefox. One is an Outlook type equivalent i think, not sure about the other.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, see how you are. Freaking me out already.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    But I always like a good Chevelle video.
    Oh good dear lord! Please don't get him started on Chevelle videos! LOL...it would take a whole different thread.

Although, strangely enough, Will would tell you they all have the same things in common.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Doesn't matter...I like Chevelle.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Will - you weren't WillyT at .net were you? He never spoke in anything but metaphor and riddles either
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 11-23-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: To change name

Country
    Country Flag

Slack's still increasing, say thankya.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast