0 0%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never read

2 4.44%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bracket #2: The Stand (1978)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears wholeheartedly second the three divemaster's comments!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Not sure why this one gets such considerable high praise. It's good, certainly. But I rated this a four.
    I agree with you.
    Spoiler:
    Loved it until the last scene in Vegas. The "Hand of God" thing turned me off. Come to think of it UTD was a lot similar!! Hmmmmm............................................ ...............
    Perhaps you should read both versions.

It is King's best work! EVER!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Feel free to badmouth me, but I think The Stand is way overrated. Maybe I'm missing something.
    %$@#!'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... And bears, in their turn, are not crazy about Bag of Bones...
    %$@#!'!

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Second favorite.
    Mine too, the first being It.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    3) For those the didn't like the hand of God--think about it. The entire story is based on the fact that God has a plan and is using special people to realize that plan. How can you be shocked when God asserts His presence? I would have been extremely disappointed if after all the Mother Abagail, and the visions, and other God-directed happenings, if the end would have been just randomness or the cleverness of Man. It was Man who got the world into the mess of the story! The "hand of God" fits perfectly into the story-world that King created for this tale.

Ergo, my third favorite is Desperation.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Feel free to badmouth me, but I think The Stand is way overrated. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Agreed. I read the Stand over ten years ago and have never been compelled to do a reread. The only books getting 4 or 5s from me are the ones I actually wanted to reread. And the comic versions don't count as rereads.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Merlin: "88 posts and you're dictating protocol?" Why do you always do this? Nice guy one second, rude the next. I think you might be have twin Merlins on the same TDT.org account!

I hit "Never read" because I haven't finished it yet. I think I got about a third of the way through it and it slowly slipped through the cracks. I'll pick it up one day, for sure.

And to whomever it may concern, I don't think that spoilers SHOULD be ok in these threads. I like reading what people have to say about a book whether I read it or not. No one has to come in and say

(The Sixth Sense Spoiler)
    "I loved the movie The Sixth Sense and
    Spoiler:
    I can't believe Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!"

Couldn't they just say "I loved the movie The Sixth Sense and I was very surprised at the big twist near the end!"?

The people who have seen the movie will know what they are talking about and the people that didn't will know there is a big twist, but not what the twist is. And if something spoilery is near and dear to people's hearts that they would like to share, they should put it in spoiler tags.

My opinion, of course.

Traveler AndrewP is on a distinguished road AndrewP's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic

Default My first post! Comment on The Stand

When I was 14 or so, I read The Shining... which still may be my favorite to this day, but quickly followed it with The Complete Edition of The Stand (the only one available at the time... or at least for a 14 year old.) I remember reading it and being absolutly mesmerized by, as another person mentioned, the epicness of the whole thing. Not only that, but I remember being very pleased with the ending. I reread the novel about 3 years ago, and while I still loved it, I thought that Stu and Fran were too... perfect. They just seemed really unbelievable to me, as if they could do nothing wrong. The one thing that I have always loved about King is his ablity to make true to life charcters, and upon rereading, I found them, Fran especially, to be unbearably thin. Still, I rated this book a 5, though perhaps 4.5 would be more realistic. I still love the story, and that scene in the Lincoln tunnel ranks up there with one of the scariest things that I have ever read.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Boy, I wouldn't say Fran could do no wrong. please check out this The Stand discussion thread. And I found Stu true to life, even if not the most complex character around. But it's Harold that was the really interesting member of that triangle, don't you think?

Also, while I'm here, to further comment on divemaster's defense of the climax: after all, remember that the book is titled The Stand, not The Plague. Seriously should come as no surprise what it's really all about.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I HATED the end of IT.
    Now you've surprised a bear...
    I will go in the IT thread and explain, dear Captain!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Stu was one of the top three in-terms of best developed character and would be interested to hear why you found him unbelievable Andrew. I also think Fran was a fine character but have less of a problem with you saying she was thin.
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

love this book, not my fav. but that was not in this ranking list....
    Spoiler:
    The Talisman is my fav non DT book.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Merlin: "88 posts and you're dictating protocol?" Why do you always do this? Nice guy one second, rude the next. I think you might be have twin Merlins on the same TDT.org account!

I hit "Never read" because I haven't finished it yet. I think I got about a third of the way through it and it slowly slipped through the cracks. I'll pick it up one day, for sure.

And to whomever it may concern, I don't think that spoilers SHOULD be ok in these threads. I like reading what people have to say about a book whether I read it or not. No one has to come in and say

(The Sixth Sense Spoiler)
    "I loved the movie The Sixth Sense and
    Spoiler:
    I can't believe Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!"

Couldn't they just say "I loved the movie The Sixth Sense and I was very surprised at the big twist near the end!"?

The people who have seen the movie will know what they are talking about and the people that didn't will know there is a big twist, but not what the twist is. And if something spoilery is near and dear to people's hearts that they would like to share, they should put it in spoiler tags.

My opinion, of course.

BRICE WILLIS IS DEAD??!!?? wtf!!!!!!

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

last chance to vote, the poll is closing!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Shannon's perspective in regards to major spoilers (not every little plot point or event, but the key ones). King himself, and this website, draw in new fans all the time. Also, many "old" fans haven't made it through King's entire catalog quite yet. It seems pretty easy to show a bit of courtesy and save discussion of major spoilers to the threads dedicated to the in-depth book discussions.

Anyway, on the topic of THE STAND: 5, for all the commonly recognized reasons.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Stand has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.790697674 or 95.81%, placing 1st (winner) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2.

Traveler Laurar will become famous soon enough Laurar's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow

My favorite book of all times. If I could only have one book for the rest of my life this would be it..

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    The Stand was the first Stephen King book I ever read, and still my all-time favorite book regardless of author. I had never even heard of Stephen King when I received a paperback copy of The Stand as a gift for my 15th birthday. Obviously, a 5 for me.

I re-read it about every year or so. Like visiting old friends.

A few comments:

1) I don't think folks should have to tread lightly with regard to spoilers for a 35-year-old book. Especially in a thread dedicated to said book. If you haven't read it, vote and move on.

2) The "hand of God" is not the end of the book. There's a LOT that happens after that.

3) For those the didn't like the hand of God--think about it. The entire story is based on the fact that God has a plan and is using special people to realize that plan. How can you be shocked when God asserts His presence? I would have been extremely disappointed if after all the Mother Abagail, and the visions, and other God-directed happenings, if the end would have been just randomness or the cleverness of Man. It was Man who got the world into the mess of the story! The "hand of God" fits perfectly into the story-world that King created for this tale.
    I personally really liked the hand of God as well as the dialogue between Larry and Ralph, very emotion provoking scene for me.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2