• 2: Only so-so

1 3.13%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never read

5 15.63%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #2: Firestarter (1980)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #2: Firestarter (1980)

Firestarter, 1980

Please vote for Firestarter using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Good book.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, good book, but not one of King's best.

sk

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Totally characteristic of him, though. Not good like The Dead Zone, but a solid supernatural thriller.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

This was the first SK HB I purchased new and read fast. Loved it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another really underrated '80s novel, like Cujo.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Really good, but gotta reserve the 5's for the best. So its a 4.
    Sloth Love Chunk

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought I would be the only 5 in this bracket as normally when I discuss this book people are a little 'its ok, but not brilliant' so I am really pleased with the result on this

While the writing is a little clunky and I can see why people wouldn't rate it as his best work, it holds a little place in my heart. One of the first King books I read and I was of an age that Carrie as a character really resonated with me. (not popular at school - check, crazy arse mother - check etc etc etc)

So I give this a 5, I can sit down and read this and all those memories come flooding back, for better or for worse

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Candy, I you aware this is Firestarter, not Carrie?
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

indeed!

Candylove, I can always change your vote in any poll, just ask bears

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    indeed!

Candylove, I can always change your vote in any poll, just ask bears
    oh crap!!!! told you my internet was playing up (god alone knows what other threads i have posted in by mistake)

yes please Jean, if you could delete my vote and I will revote when I get home at the end of the week - on hotels wi fi at the moment so limited in time

If anyone spots any other candy errors, please apologise on my behalf
    Spoiler:
    only back on the site two minutes and fuckin up already

Country
    Country Flag

love, I am not sure that thing will let you vote again. Just tell me what your vote should be, and I'll put it there manually

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Really good, but gotta reserve the 5's for the best. So its a 4.
    Ditto this. I loved the idea of the secret government agency ("The Shop") and the plight of the father and vulnerable daughter fighting the evil forces. And the garbage-disposal scene--loved it! Another book begging for a re-read.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

This book was good stuff. I gave it a 4.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Haven't read it. Not yet. No time! I want to build a machine. It will be called a Time Duplicator. It will allow me to create parallel universes, only for me, where I can do multiple things at the same time, and when the wormholes close, I will have the memories of all the things I have done.

Country
    Country Flag

candy - I have removed your "5" vote from here, but I still don't know what do you want me to make it instead

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

A 4.

Though it is funny that I set this book on fire wile wasted and reading by hurricane lamp during a power outage. My eyes don't work so well when trashed and I removed the globe...ect. It was quite a shock to see smoke coming from the book you hold in your hands as you read. I still have yet to hunt down another copy.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    candy - I have removed your "5" vote from here, but I still don't know what do you want me to make it instead
    Could you pop me a four in?

Sorry for late reply, just got back to normal internet (£5 an hour they charged in the hotel - robbing gets)

Country
    Country Flag

done!

(even here I don't think I've ever heard of Internet at £5 an hour... although there still are things bears do not know)

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

One of my favorites of Sai King's books!

Country
    Country Flag

last chance to vote, the poll is closing!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally read this book just a few months ago. I've never seen the movie.

After all the book and movie marketing imagery of the girl, I had no idea that story had such a focus on the parent/child relationship. I really liked that.

Country
    Country Flag

that's the only thing I liked about it

the poll is closed now...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Firestarter has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.111111111 or 82.22%, placing 4th in this bracket. It will not be moving on to Round 2.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I've never seen the movie.
    Good, and vintage, though somehow a bit short of the book's sense. And George C. Scott did remarkable work as Rainbird, but great an actor as he was in general, in hindsight the idea that he's out of place in the role keeps coming back.

+ Reply to Thread