Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: If you could ask King anything about the Dark Tower series...

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Again, my impression from DT7 is not that the events didn't happen, just that they didn't occur in the reality of DT as they did in the book. I.E. the Crimson King still tried to kill Patrick Danville, Ralph Roberts dies, etc but various details were muddled when King "transcribed" them. I'm pretty sure that King would say the same thing.

But my initial point was that Random321321 asked if King intended it to be that way, and my answer was, no I don't think he did. I don't think when King wrote Insomnia he knew that A.) the Crimson King wouldn't be stuck on the top of the Tower and B.) that Patrick wouldn't die after saving two people.

John F. Kennedy Random321321 is on a distinguished road

Of course not. I phrased my question poorly. What I really want to know is: what was the vague outline that King had in mind in which the events of Insomnia would be fully correct?

Once he called Insomnia a "mind-trap", I knew that he had just given himself permission to alter the story however he wanted to, and any time I spent thinking about the details in Insomnia was essentially wasted. I still think that car crash might have been the worst thing to happen to the Dark Tower.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG

Remember what he wrote into the books about people begging and cajoling "How's it going to end?! How's it going to end?!" And yet even now we're saying "Well, how would it have ended, if things had been different? Huh, Mr. King?! Huh?!"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I fhe reads this he will be mortified.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

Again, my impression from DT7 is not that the events didn't happen, just that they didn't occur in the reality of DT as they did in the book. I.E. the Crimson King still tried to kill Patrick Danville, Ralph Roberts dies, etc but various details were muddled when King "transcribed" them. I'm pretty sure that King would say the same thing.

But my initial point was that Random321321 asked if King intended it to be that way, and my answer was, no I don't think he did. I don't think when King wrote Insomnia he knew that A.) the Crimson King wouldn't be stuck on the top of the Tower and B.) that Patrick wouldn't die after saving two people.
    Ah, I should apologise. I thought you were meaning that all the events were discounted from canon. Got the wrong end of the stick there and cry your pardon.

Yeah, I think it was written in to get around any discrepancies that readers may not be able reconcile. Thats not to say they cant be though but such theories are for different threads .

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

How can anything be canon when there are infinite worlds?
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Quote Originally Posted by beam*seeker View Post
    Yet another cop out along the lines of "the world has moved on" so such and such wasn't a continuity error.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd ask what was before the tower?
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Random321321 View Post
    Yet another cop out along the lines of "the world has moved on" so such and such wasn't a continuity error.
    There is a Tower which stands at the nexus of time. The serpent swallows it's own tail. I mean, seriously: how can you measure a work of fiction with conventions of pop culture traditions such as crossover continuity when it happens to be a work created for the clear purpose of measuring those very conventions?

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    There is a Tower which stands at the nexus of time. The serpent swallows it's own tail. I mean, seriously: how can you measure a work of fiction with conventions of pop culture traditions such as crossover continuity when it happens to be a work created for the clear purpose of measuring those very conventions?
    Yes, that's what King wants you to accept. It's a clever move, but I ultimately feel it's just laziness in disguise. It's not even original, Cervantes pulls the same move in Don Quixote part 2 to explain a continuity error in part 1: oh these are translations of accounts of non-reliable witnesses, etc... And of course, the whole story is about fiction and it's affect on reality.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some other questions:

1. Do you plan on exploring Flagg's character in greater depth in any future works? (like his backstory as Walter Padick)

2. What were Marten's feelings for Gabrielle? Did they go beyond using her and/or lust?

Traveler Rolandofmosheim is on a distinguished road

The one that has bugged me since reading SOS, is Why does Roland Tap his throat three times before crossing open water?

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Why did Flagg have such a pussy death?

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that's what King wants you to accept. It's a clever move, but I ultimately feel it's just laziness in disguise. It's not even original, Cervantes pulls the same move in Don Quixote part 2 to explain a continuity error in part 1: oh these are translations of accounts of non-reliable witnesses, etc... And of course, the whole story is about fiction and it's affect on reality.
    I am truly split between deciding if it is laziness, a plot device, or some cosmic comment on the nature of reality in general...
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Gunslinger Apprentice BigSchu22 is on a distinguished road BigSchu22's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I am truly split between deciding if it is laziness, a plot device, or some cosmic comment on the nature of reality in general...
    The cynical side of me wants to say it was laziness and part of his rush to finish the last books and be done with the series as a whole, but I think that even with Bev and Robin's books, it would be hard for him to maintain every single strand of continuity, especially with constant readers like us paying attention.

I think he realized this difficulty early on (after the several year gaps between some of the books) and wrote this concept in as a way to address all the continuity problems. He may continue to address some of these issues with re-releases, like he did with the Gunslinger, but I'd almost prefer he didn't so we don't go down the George Lucas road.
    Scorpius: Kill her. Then we'll have pizza and margarita shooters. Go on, John. Kill her. Do it. Do it.
    John Crichton: [aims gun at Scorpius instead] Nobody has margaritas with pizza.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3