Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rate the Last TV Show You Saw

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Fringe - Season 1

Watched the first few eps of this last year, but initially, I must admit, I was just a little bit put off. There were some nice ideas, with the standalone cases mixed with some hints of an arc, but that, mixed in with one of the main trio being an FBI agent, reminded me a little too much of X Files for me (which I've still yet to finish). As a result, it didn't seem to have anything new to interest me, with the exception of eccentric scientist Walter Bishop. I thought he was a brilliant character. The other two characters of FBI agent Olivia and shady character Peter were just a little too, for lack of a better word, cliched for me, or at least, typical of a number of US shows.

But, having been convinced that it got better as it went on, I finally got back to it recently, and I'm glad I did. Yes, it still remained a little too standalone and X Files-ey for a few episodes, but eventually, it finally made itself clear that, while it was a show that audiences could watch at almost any point for the "case of the week", not only were the cases becoming more distinctly connected, the show was also making itself clear that it was telling its own story. There was also excellent development given for the characters of both Olivia, having to deal with both major changes to her life, to say the least, and Walter, who slowly finds out more about himself ep by ep.

It all culminates in a finale that not only nicely resolves threads that have been building up throughout the first season, but also sets things up for the rest of the series in a very big way. (Even if I was very "hmm" about the final shot.) Overall, a pretty decent scifi show. 7/10
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Only "hmm" about the final shot?!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Watched the first few eps of this last year, but initially, I must admit, I was just a little bit put off. There were some nice ideas, with the standalone cases mixed with some hints of an arc, but that, mixed in with one of the main trio being an FBI agent, reminded me a little too much of X Files for me (which I've still yet to finish). As a result, it didn't seem to have anything new to interest me, with the exception of eccentric scientist Walter Bishop. I thought he was a brilliant character. The other two characters of FBI agent Olivia and shady character Peter were just a little too, for lack of a better word, cliched for me, or at least, typical of a number of US shows.

But, having been convinced that it got better as it went on, I finally got back to it recently, and I'm glad I did. Yes, it still remained a little too standalone and X Files-ey for a few episodes, but eventually, it finally made itself clear that, while it was a show that audiences could watch at almost any point for the "case of the week", not only were the cases becoming more distinctly connected, the show was also making itself clear that it was telling its own story. There was also excellent development given for the characters of both Olivia, having to deal with both major changes to her life, to say the least, and Walter, who slowly finds out more about himself ep by ep.

It all culminates in a finale that not only nicely resolves threads that have been building up throughout the first season, but also sets things up for the rest of the series in a very big way. (Even if I was very "hmm" about the final shot.) Overall, a pretty decent scifi show. 7/10
    You need to watch a few more seasons before you pass judgement. It really goes to some incredible levels in subsequent seasons. Stick with it and you will be rewarded!!!! Otherwise, I will have to have you "Bollocked"!!! LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Ok, two things here: one, the exact same trick was used near the beginning of the Life on Mars remake the same year, and it didn't really impress me then, and two,
    Spoiler:
    I never really like it when the image of a huge tragedy to any country is used for a "shock" reaction. It's just too exploitative, to me. As far as establishing that Olivia's in a parallel universe, yes, it's an easy way to do it, but too easy.
    Honestly, I would've preferred it if the fact revealed in the final shot wasn't revealed in the cliffhanger, and more casually revealed in the background. The ending of
    Spoiler:
    finally meeting William Bell
    should have been enough. Then again, perhaps reminding me too much of the shit remake of Life on Mars might've just spoilt it for me.

Overall, the finale was satisfying, but definitely not up with the best of them that we got with, say, The Reichenbach Fall for series 2 of Sherlock, or Through the Looking Glass for Lost. Not just shocking, storywise, but both have huge emotional content for the characters. We didn't quite get that with the season 1 finale of Fringe, although I did like the revelation that
    Spoiler:
    the Peter we've known is not the one from this world. Wonderfully and subtlely done, and a brilliant performance by John Noble when he visited the grave.
    Overall, not one of the best finales I've watched, but still pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You need to watch a few more seasons before you pass judgement. It really goes to some incredible levels in subsequent seasons. Stick with it and you will be rewarded!!!! Otherwise, I will have to have you "Bollocked"!!! LOL LOL LOL
    Be fair, I should be able to judge the first season on its own merits - that's why I've specifically referred to it as season 1 in my review. And unlike Carnivale, I do plan to watch the 2nd season and hopefully beyond, one month at time, possibly.

Oh, and speaking of "stick with it": where the fuck are my Life on Mars reviews, you bounder? Get back to watching it, right now!

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved the finale of the first series, I am unsure if you (ie the viewer) get something different from finales when you wait each week for an episode as opposed to the glut of box sets. I know I was breathless when I saw the scenes out of the window - I do understand your comment about a tragic event being used for shock tactics, however i didnt see as a shock, more a difference.

Going a little off tangent but not much, I remember when Lost was on each week and how I literally could not wait for the next weeks installment, I was having this conversation with my sister who has just got the box sets and she was a little 'meh' about a lot of the stuff that had me gagging for the next episode, and we reasoned that i had all week to dissect each clue, sentence and character whereas she just pops another disc in.

I think Merlin is quite correct with his comment though, I understand that you have reviewed series one, but you really do get a lot more from the series as it goes on - a little like Matt Smiths first season compared to his second

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Then I'll rate season 2 when I get to it. As it is, the first season is pretty good. Not great, but pretty darn good.

As for the shock ending, I just love my shock endings too much. Absolutely love 'em. Lost, Doctor Who, Sherlock, all had great shock endings, and even Fringe. It just feels like a cheat when it's a little out of the blue and there's been no clues to it. Bear in mind,
    Spoiler:
    I'm not referring to it being revealed as a parallel universe, that was clear practically instantly, but I just didn't like how the Towers were not only standing in this universe, but apparently revealed to be Spock's Secret Headquarters, too. It just rubbed me the wrong way, really.
    Her seeing them out of the window would've been better, I think. Just my opinion, really.

Personally, the graveyard was a much better shock - nicely built up, subtle, and powerful, too.

- Melike

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Ok, two things here: one, the exact same trick was used near the beginning of the Life on Mars remake the same year, and it didn't really impress me then, and two,
    Spoiler:
    I never really like it when the image of a huge tragedy to any country is used for a "shock" reaction. It's just too exploitative, to me. As far as establishing that Olivia's in a parallel universe, yes, it's an easy way to do it, but too easy.
    Honestly, I would've preferred it if the fact revealed in the final shot wasn't revealed in the cliffhanger, and more casually revealed in the background. The ending of
    Spoiler:
    finally meeting William Bell
    should have been enough. Then again, perhaps reminding me too much of the shit remake of Life on Mars might've just spoilt it for me.

Overall, the finale was satisfying, but definitely not up with the best of them that we got with, say, The Reichenbach Fall for series 2 of Sherlock, or Through the Looking Glass for Lost. Not just shocking, storywise, but both have huge emotional content for the characters. We didn't quite get that with the season 1 finale of Fringe, although I did like the revelation that
    Spoiler:
    the Peter we've known is not the one from this world. Wonderfully and subtlely done, and a brilliant performance by John Noble when he visited the grave.
    Overall, not one of the best finales I've watched, but still pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Be fair, I should be able to judge the first season on its own merits - that's why I've specifically referred to it as season 1 in my review. And unlike Carnivale, I do plan to watch the 2nd season and hopefully beyond, one month at time, possibly.

Oh, and speaking of "stick with it": where the fuck are my Life on Mars reviews, you bounder? Get back to watching it, right now!

You're right of course, but in my defense I lost the ability to watch it online. Nevertheless, I should get out and rent it. I'm on it, Chief!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Awesome, boss!

Right, last show I watched: The Office (Original)

On the surface, a cringing comedy about a bunch of exasperated office workers having to deal with an incredibly embarrasing boss that's filmed documentary style. It's something the remake shares, and it's one of the few similarities the two shows do have. Because while the remake is an entertaining sitcom (at least it used to be), the original is a mixture of dark and subtle comedy with a kind of lingering tragedy. No one really wants to work there, with a lot of the main characters clearly feeling trapped by the situation. A true masterclass in subtlety as what's not said in front of the camera is just as important as what is said. Not just in comedy either, but also in terms of drama - the two characters of Tim and Dawn are prime examples of this, as two characters who are so clearly in love with each other but, with Dawn engaged to a git of a fiance and the cameras on them the whole time, neither try and act on it. It is, without a doubt, one of the greatest and most believeable love stories put to screen that I have ever seen.

To me, this is 14 episodes of perfection. I've watched it so many times, and each time I find something new. (This time, it was, "Hold on...this series is a classic study on human misery and downward spirals, a story of how people just find themselves trapped in an office, with no hope of escape. Jean would fucking love this!") The remake is great entertainment, but the original is easily one of the best tv series of all time. 10/10

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Breaking Bad - Series 1

Here's one I started subscribing to Netflix for, and I'm glad I did. This is one of those shows that I can find very little, if anything to truly fault on - great three-dimensional characters, excellent writing in all the key areas - character development, story and dialogue - and some really great acting, particularly from Bryan Cranston in the lead role of a chemistry teacher with cancer trying to make extra money for his family by making and selling extremely high quality crystal meth. Easier said than done.

The one thing that surprised me the most about this show was the humour, which is very dark and very grim but also very funny and completely in tone with the drama. In the first few episodes at least, the whole thing comes across as a rather dark farce, with one thing going horribly wrong after the next and the two characters face some very difficult choices. This farce element kinda goes away in the second half of the series, which is a shame, as it was the key thing I loved most about the series, providing not just comedy but also some truly challenging drama, but even then, the series continues to be great, with Walter clearly heading down a very dark path. The only problem I had with the finale was that it wasn't really much of a finale, although that can be put down to the writer's strike. Still, a very enjoyable show, and I'm really excited what season 2 will bring. 9/10

- Melike

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Mad Men - season 1-4

A very entertaining dive in the ad industry in the 60s with all the glamour and the subtle innuendo you'd expect. Lots of interesting characters, most of them your next door neighbour with all their faults. However, this would typically be interesting for someone working in the ad or comms business, but not so much for other people. I'd recommend it anyway, although the first episode wasn't as great as I hoped it'd be. Every episode helps you understand how every character adapts to an ever-changing world, starting from the late 50s and going all the way to 1965, following a pattern that is very sensible. Not your average sensational show but very pretty, with very classy characters working in Manhattan.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

When I'm done with The Wire, Mad Men is definitely next on my list of shows to watch. I've heard so many great things about that one.

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Breaking Bad - Series 1

Here's one I started subscribing to Netflix for, and I'm glad I did. This is one of those shows that I can find very little, if anything to truly fault on - great three-dimensional characters, excellent writing in all the key areas - character development, story and dialogue - and some really great acting, particularly from Bryan Cranston in the lead role of a chemistry teacher with cancer trying to make extra money for his family by making and selling extremely high quality crystal meth. Easier said than done.

The one thing that surprised me the most about this show was the humour, which is very dark and very grim but also very funny and completely in tone with the drama. In the first few episodes at least, the whole thing comes across as a rather dark farce, with one thing going horribly wrong after the next and the two characters face some very difficult choices. This farce element kinda goes away in the second half of the series, which is a shame, as it was the key thing I loved most about the series, providing not just comedy but also some truly challenging drama, but even then, the series continues to be great, with Walter clearly heading down a very dark path. The only problem I had with the finale was that it wasn't really much of a finale, although that can be put down to the writer's strike. Still, a very enjoyable show, and I'm really excited what season 2 will bring. 9/10
    Nice. Glad you liked it. I agree - the dark humor is amazing, and it's always in synch with the atmosphere of that particular episode.

Also, Bryan Cranston is amazing. What an incredibly talented actor.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen season 5 yet but some episodes in season 4 were a bit slow so be prepared for a few transition episodes. I do think it's a pretty good series, though.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nonono, didn't like it Feev, I loved it. Gotta be one of the best US shows I've seen.

However, it's not the very best, that would most definitely be The Wire, which I just finished the 2nd season of and will post a full length review very, very soon, as I'm just amazed that the 2nd season wasn't just as good as the first - it took everything that was awesome about the first season and hugely expanded on it, taking it into a whole new direction. So many wonderfully crafted characters on both sides of the law to care about and to hate, with union leader Frank Sobotka being my favourite complex character from last season. However, it wasn't just about the characters, or the season long case, even. It was all about the number of layers within, painting a huge picture of the city of Baltimore, of how we see and justify right and wrong, of where we draw the line between "good guys" and "bad guys". I have nothing to fault this on, absolutely nothing. Excellent writing, great drama, some wonderful humour thrown in (my favourite involving a ball), and a truly rewarding story. 10/10

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh bloody hell, now I'm going to have to hasten my The Wire watch too !

Gahhh my plate is full ! I love it though

My Mood
    Yeehaw

To be fair, feev, just to make it easier: remember what my favourite show is that you still haven't finished watching yet! Then you can think to yourself, "Oh, if he loves it, I'm sure it can't be that good!"

Oh, that reminds me: any chance of a review on Sherlock, yet?

- Melike

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

What did I finish today ...

The Killing: Season 2: 4/5
    A pretty good show. It wrapped up the "Who Dun It?" mystery in the finale. It SHOULD have been wrapped up in the first season's finale, but, they didn't. This season was a little all over the place, and at times it seemed more about telling the stories of characters that aren't really involved with the main storyline anymore. If I didn't calculate all my episode-by-episode ratings and somehow get a 4 out of 5, I would probably have given it a 3/5. The first season was better.

The Pauly D Project: Season 1: 3/5
    Yay, my Jersey Shore fix! This isn't groundbreaking television here, it's just about a following a guy that got famous on Jersey Shore and now he's trying to turn that into something even bigger. It was interesting to watch his behind-the-scenes stuff leading him to work at the Palms here in Vegas as a DJ for one of the big night clubs, and also for him to DJ the final Britney Spears concert of her tour. It's watching someone go through the process of ACTUALLY MAKING IT. Fun. And Pauly D comes off as a nice guy, so yay!

Doctor Who (2005): Season 1: 4/5
    A very very enjoyable first season, with some very GREAT episodes thrown in. I think my final talley for the thirteen episodes was 4 5's, 8 4's, and 1 3. Not bad at all, just not quite enough for a 5/5. Excited to start the second season with
    Spoiler:
    the new Doctor. I'm surprised they got rid of Christopher Eccleston so fast though.
    But but but, I have other shows to watch. With that being said, here is what I'm watching right now and what is up next:

Right Now:
    Episodes: Season 2
    Battlestar Galactica: Season 2
    Being Human: Season 2
    True Blood: Season 5 (wow five seasons already)
    The Glass House: Season 1
    Falling Skies: Season 2
    Take Me Out: Season 1

Next:
    MasterChef: Season 3
    Love In The Wild: Season 2
    Hell's Kitchen: Season 10
    Saving Hope: Season 1
    Wilfred: Season 2
    Awake: Season 1
    The Finder: Season 1
    Hatfields & McCoys

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

True Blood is going out of control in my opinion. They have gone way away from the source material and I just don't get where they are going.
    Spoiler:
    Tara a vampire now. And what the hell were they thinking putting a silver sprayer on the front porch for that matter.
    I did like Pam's story in there.
    Spoiler:
    Her meeting Eric and and all that.
    I hope they give us more glimpses of that this season. And most of all, I liked what they did with Emma.
    Spoiler:
    She looked like a cute puppy husky...lol

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I read the first four or five books. They were OK, but I like the show better. The books were very plain and simple, they followed Sookie. The brother wasn't a main character, neither was Bill, Eric, Sam, Tara, etc. It was all about Sookie. But on the show, they have Sookie doing the Sookie things from the book AND they have all these other interesting characters running side missions around her. Granted, I think they have one or two too many main characters and storylines right now (Looking at you Terry and Arlene!) but it's still a good show. And last season with
    Spoiler:
    Eric and Sookie
    was my favorite thus far.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Doctor Who (2005): Season 1: 4/5
    A very very enjoyable first season, with some very GREAT episodes thrown in. I think my final talley for the thirteen episodes was 4 5's, 8 4's, and 1 3. Not bad at all, just not quite enough for a 5/5. Excited to start the second season with
    Spoiler:
    the new Doctor. I'm surprised they got rid of Christopher Eccleston so fast though.
    Really glad you enjoyed it, Shannon. Regarding your spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    It was actually announced, right after the first ep was broadcast, that Eccleston had quit, which put a bit of a downer on things, after so much excitement over the show finally being back. I have no idea why the BBC announced it so early, especially since I think Eccleston himself planned to keep it secret until the season finale, I think. Ah well. You'll like David Tennant, I'm sure. And I know what it's like, to get excited about a "new" Doctor. You're not sure what you're gonna get from the new guy.

Looking forward to when you start season 2 in the distant future!

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Agreed, Tennant's an amazing Doctor so you're in for a treat. Are you going to mix in Torchwood to your viewing list Shannon?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe a little bit later on.

What show should I spend today, tonight and tomorrow watching the first season of? Fringe or The Wire? First to get three votes wins. Hurry hurry so I can start it! I have them both downloaded now.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'd recommend mixing it in with your Dr. Who watch. DD can point you in the order to watch them. I did that on my initial viewing and really enjoyed it. There's a little cross over here and there with them.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen The Wire but it's heralded as one of the greatest tv shows in the history of homo sapiens.

I can vote for the little I've seen of Fringe however, I just started it and I think it's great.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

As someone's watched both, and therefore actually counts, definitely the Wire. Amazing show.

- Melike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast