Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rate the Last TV Show You Saw

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Rate the Last TV Show You Saw

I'm setting up this thread because not only did I feel the need to review the first season of the Wire, but also because there will be a few shows that I'll most likely see and think they are not so great. I'm thinking this thread can be used to review a show based on one episode or by a whole season.

So, I'll start off.

The Wire - Season One

So I finally started checking this out a few weeks ago. It seemed appropriate to review it as a whole season rather than one episode, as it's novelistic structure - of crafting one season long story with a beginning, middle and ending - meant it took a few episodes to put the pieces into place and for the main group of characters - from narcotics and homicide divisions - to truly become a team. It's an interesting approach to take with the series. Even more interesting is that, for one whole season, it's all really focused on trying to arrest one suspect.

Not that it's character focus is narrow. One thing I really grew to appreciate in the series was its huge cast of characters, as it not only focused on the lives of the police but also the criminals, too. In time, there's a lot of characters that we begin to care about on both sides of the law, and a lot of characters we grow to hate, too. One interesting problem added to the mix was the amount of bureacratic bullshit the team had to deal with in trying to get enough evidence to arrest this one single suspect, as the team will sometimes be told to make an arrest that won't only hold up in court but also fuck up the case, purely for the sake of bringing statistics up, or effectively told to look the other way if one direction they follow the case in leads to something a little bigger than drug dealers.

With such a large focus, it more than makes up for its first few episodes where arguably, very little of the main plot happens. However, even these episodes were very watchable, with its characters feeling completely real and even some great moments of humour added in (one of my favourites being two cops bringing in a drug dealer and telling a bullshit story about a man he'd shot just to get him to write a letter of apology to the victim's mother).

The dvd box set really helps in watching this show, as there's less of the usual structure of having something resolved by the end of an episode and more of one long story broken down into 13 parts, so it can certainly help in remembering something brought up in the finale that was mentioned in the first episode when you only watched it a couple of weeks before. The show may not be for everyone, and it's got a fair bit to go before I can describe it as "the greatest tv show ever made" as a few fans seem to describe it, but not that much. It's an extremely well made, incredibly complex series that has far, far more to it than the surface plot of cops trying to arrest one man. I've heard the other seasons each have a very different focus, both on what the case is and on the city of Baltimore, which considering how much was resolved by the end of the first season is very fitting. I'll be interested in seeing where the show goes next, certainly. 9/10
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Dexter Season Six: A very good season of Dexter. The character's bounced off each other the best they ever had this season. There was a great nostalgia filled episode which took Dexter to Nebraska. I enjoyed the villains a lot this season and the religious avenues the show explored, it brought out some interesting sides in Dexter. The ending of course opens the show up to go down many possible directions and the next season should be excellent.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Eternal Law

Just finished watching the first ep of this show. It's about two angels sent down to Earth to work as lawyers, with their clients sent to them from "Mr. Mountjoy" (better known as God). It's an interesting mashup of two very different genres, although not exactly original, as anyone who's seen A Matter of Life and Death will tell you (including the creators). It's got some interesting ideas, and there's a nice amount of mystery to many of the characters to slowly be revealed over the coming weeks, although the lawyer parts were a little too...traditional for me. I'll continue watching it, but I'm hoping it'll get better over the coming weeks. 6/10

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Dexter Season Six: A very good season of Dexter. The character's bounced off each other the best they ever had this season. There was a great nostalgia filled episode which took Dexter to Nebraska. I enjoyed the villains a lot this season and the religious avenues the show explored, it brought out some interesting sides in Dexter.
    Slang me some of that weed you're smoking.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Dexter Season Six: A very good season of Dexter. The character's bounced off each other the best they ever had this season. There was a great nostalgia filled episode which took Dexter to Nebraska. I enjoyed the villains a lot this season and the religious avenues the show explored, it brought out some interesting sides in Dexter. The ending of course opens the show up to go down many possible directions and the next season should be excellent.
    Slang me some of that weed you're smoking.
    Hmmm, now you've really got me interested in Dexter. A season that polarises opinion between you two interests me more than the widely critically acclaimed past few seasons before it. (This probably has to do with Carnivale and my early experience of Fringe so far, although I'll continue watching both in order to see if they get as great as everyone says they are. Ricky's recommendation that it does get much better by the season 1 finale gives me some hope.) It's like The Ghost - as a political conspiracy thriller, it's pretty shit and is incredibly slow moving, but as another Polanski movie that's full of tiny details and great subtleties, I thought it was absolutely great. I loved it, but I can see how others were bored by it. If I had gone to watch it expecting a fast paced conspiracy thriller like all the trailers suggested, I probably would have hated it. Hmm, maybe I'll start catching up on Dexter before season 7 starts. (Don't worry feev: Breaking Bad is still top of the list, after I'm done with season one of Carnivale and Cracker.)

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All you need to do is watch the first episode of Dexter and if you aren't compelled to watch the next episode(s) right away, I'll be incredibly suprised. Dexter seasons are shorter than Fringe's by about 10-12 episodes, so I don't know if you'd take that into consideration with your viewing schedule.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, as far as Dexter is concerned, how graphic does it get in terms of bloody violence? I'm thinking about maybe trying to start watching it....at least, I would start watching it. Who knows when I'd finish, as busy as my currect TV schedule is and with school starting on Monday....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    All you need to do is watch the first episode of Dexter and if you aren't compelled to watch the next episode(s) right away, I'll be incredibly suprised. Dexter seasons are shorter than Fringe's by about 10-12 episodes, so I don't know if you'd take that into consideration with your viewing schedule.
    A lot of the best American shows I've watched seem to be about that length per season: Deadwood, Rome, The Sopranos, and The Wire. They're also sometimes a full hour per ep. How long are the Dexter eps? Breaking Bad first, then Dexter, I think, as feev's really recommended the former, but I'll get back to watching Fringe while the Life on Mars watch is going on.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Okay, as far as Dexter is concerned, how graphic does it get in terms of bloody violence? I'm thinking about maybe trying to start watching it....at least, I would start watching it. Who knows when I'd finish, as busy as my currect TV schedule is and with school starting on Monday....
    For the most part, they cut away when Dexter has his victims "on the table", but the series definitely doesn't shy away from blood. You definitely are aware of what's going on. Lots of blood, language, and sex.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    A lot of the best American shows I've watched seem to be about that length per season: Deadwood, Rome, The Sopranos, and The Wire. They're also sometimes a full hour per ep. How long are the Dexter eps? Breaking Bad first, then Dexter, I think, as feev's really recommended the former, but I'll get back to watching Fringe while the Life on Mars watch is going on.
    Yeah, the 12-episode series doesn't really leave room for dragging things out, which I like.

And I'm pretty sure Dexter episodes are about 50 minutes to an hour (no commercials on Showtime! )
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Dexter seasons are typically 12-13 episodes, about 45-50 minutes each. The first season of Dexter is probably one of the best S1's I have ever seen, if that counts for anything. All things considered, it's probably the best (though not my personal favorite) season of the show thus far.

And yes, absolutely give priority to Breaking Bad. That show is too good to be placed behind anything else.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For the most part, they cut away when Dexter has his victims "on the table", but the series definitely doesn't shy away from blood. You definitely are aware of what's going on. Lots of blood, language, and sex.
    +

the occasional severed/mutilated body part(s) when he's investigating a murder.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Dexter seasons are typically 12-13 episodes, about 45-50 minutes each. The first season of Dexter is probably one of the best S1's I have ever seen, if that counts for anything. All things considered, it's probably the best (though not my personal favorite) season of the show thus far.

And yes, absolutely give priority to Breaking Bad. That show is too good to be placed behind anything else.
    Ok, I'll definitely watch that the moment I'm finished with Cracker. I'm still amazed at just how brilliant an actor Robbie Coltrane is when most of his face isn't covered by a massive beard. So many great moments. Especially when he lights a cigarette and a woman starts complaining, "Excuse me, this is a school!" "That's where I started."

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome...I can handle that. I don't mind blood...I just don't like seeing what causes the blood as much. But I'm sure I can handle it...anyone who has dissected a freshly slain chicken should be able to watch a tv show, right?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Agreed. Although I think it would be my favorite season of the show.

And Breaking Bad above Dexter? I'll have to check it out, I saw it's on instant.

Oh, and I never found Dexter to be overly graphic in terms of violence and gore, but then again I think my tolerance level is pretty high
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The thing about Breaking Bad is that it's very consistent. All the seasons are of equally high caliber.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Very impressive! Ok, I'll try and watch the last 6 eps of season 1 of Carnivale today and tomorrow before my holiday, so that when I come back next week, I have another high quality show ready to watch.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

I think TV networks need to go on a 5-year hiatus so I can catch up on all these shows.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Or at least go British and have 6 eps (or even 3, in Sherlock's case) a year! That'll make it a lot easier!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Carnivale - Season 1

Have just finished the finale of this. Thoughts? Overall, it's been an ok series. In the last few episodes it even started getting good. But it took far too long beating around the bush to get to that point. While the series had some beautiful moments in its earlier eps, for more than the first half of the season it seemed far too concerned about being 'mysterious' and 'surreal' and refusing to give us anything else. And I don't mean not giving any answers, like Lost - one thing I enjoyed about that show was how much it spent its time on its characters and telling their stories. They certainly seemed more lively and interesting than the characters here, at least when they were introduced. All the characters in Carnivale seemed to be there for the sake of the plot, which considering how little of it is initially given made it really hard to watch, for all the wrong reasons. The tone seems to want to aim for depression, to match the era, but never truly captures that emotion in all its complexity. Even the preacher, who initially seemed to have the most potentially interesting story in the first episode, which could have lead to an interesting crisis of faith character arc, never really went anywhere more than a strictly visual level, plotwise. It never challenged me emotionally or intellectually, and the preacher quickly became one of the least interesting characters for me. Events are slowly built up, but the payoffs are weak and predictable, Babylon being a prime example of this.

Thankfully, in the last few episodes, the characters start to have their own interesting stories, and more complicated relationships, so they slowly start to feel just a bit three-dimensional. The plot starts to speed up, though by the end there's still very little that's clear about what's going on. And there's even moments of humour too, and done just right, made out of how low the workers at the Carnivale have to be in order to survive. And if more had been made out of that much earlier on, if the hardships of the job in both the high and low aspects, the serious and the humourous, had been explored more, then I would've enjoyed this show a lot more. Instead, it's something with a lot of potential but comes across as rather shallow, as it's mostly style and little substance. It eventually got a little better than that, but it took too long to get there, and I'm currently in no rush to watch the 2nd season. 5/10

- Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Lost Season 4

It's a damned shame the writer's strike had to hamper this season. It really could have used the extra couple episodes it should have had to make it a more complete season. With that said it's probably the most underrated season of the show. It tells a very good story from multiple timelines and does it pretty seamlessly. We see characters go down some interesting paths. The new characters introduced are all pretty good, especially Miles and Faraday. And Keamy was just awesome. Some good action sequences, some good humour and some very touching moments. The finale was excellent with probably the best climactic cliffhanger of the series. My biggest complaint about this season was that Charlotte's backstory was cutshort this season due to the writer's strike and we really don't get too much insight into her character's history which is a shame because she obviously understand's history herself. The Constant is probably my all time favourite episode of Lost.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Totally agreed, Mattrick. Especially:

The Constant is probably my all time favourite episode of Lost.
    Agreed completely. An excellent use of
    Spoiler:
    time travel
    with some real emotion. I love it.

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Eternal Law

Just finished watching the first ep of this show. It's about two angels sent down to Earth to work as lawyers, with their clients sent to them from "Mr. Mountjoy" (better known as God). It's an interesting mashup of two very different genres, although not exactly original, as anyone who's seen A Matter of Life and Death will tell you (including the creators). It's got some interesting ideas, and there's a nice amount of mystery to many of the characters to slowly be revealed over the coming weeks, although the lawyer parts were a little too...traditional for me. I'll continue watching it, but I'm hoping it'll get better over the coming weeks. 6/10
    I have this on my planner and keep meaning to watch it (time is against me at the moment)

Has anyone seen Angels in America? I have this too

Looking forward to Fringe restarting soon

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Looking forward to Fringe restarting soon
    Fringe started back up on Friday...here in The States

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

we are never normally too far behind you guys - here hoping

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast