Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I should have been born in the....

Traveler Leah is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Angelic

Default I should have been born in the....

I have recently decided I should have been born in the 50's. Honestly I have no desire to break the glass celing! Anyone else feel like they were born in the wrong decade?

My Mood
    Angelic

Bra burners thought they were doing women a favor...blah!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I always think I would have done good in the middle ages, or even the late 1800's.. The whole gunslinger era really interests me very much, the culture, the freedom, and the millions of opportunities, lol.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed JB. Middle Ages is where I should have been. Swords and battles

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Swords, Battles, shit dumped directly into the streets, plagues, horrible teeth, etc, etc. I don't think the swords and battles balance out to the reality of the situation. haha.

I think I probably would have fit well into 1960s culture, which I guess would make me need to be born in the early 50s to be able to take advantage of that properly.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

It was only that bad in the population centers, I think. Where I come from originally we had no plumbing or electricity, although they do now. In rural areas like that it's pretty nice. Of course, all the swords and battles caused dead battlefields, which WERE a breeding ground for disease.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Point well taken, but I shall take my cake and eat it too. With my 3 remaining teeth.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Swords, Battles, shit dumped directly into the streets, plagues, horrible teeth, etc, etc. I don't think the swords and battles balance out to the reality of the situation. haha.
    Yes, true, but I think it can be felt this way only from our perspective. Many years from now people might look at us and shudder at the thought that we had the flu or had to tie our own shoelaces.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

If The Sweeney and Life on Mars are anything to go by, then make me a cop in the 70s please!

Seriously though, sometimes I wonder if I was born a few years too late. I've found myself listening to a lot of 90s music, and finding it really connect to me. Probably would've been awesome during indie nights at clubs! That's an idealised viewpoint, anyway.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I love the whole Victorian era...I could have been the perfect fat chick in the big skirts and high boots!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I should have been born later. About three or four centuries from now. I WANT FLYING CARS AND INTERSTELLAR SPACE TRAVEL!!!!!!!!!!!

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I would fit in perfectly in the 1970's. Those are the shows I like to watch, they had the greatest music, and all that....

But I have to admit....the middle ages does sound appealing, even with all the plague and death and all. I love swords!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'd take the 50's. A more simplistic life. I love the cinema from then, and James Dean was around
    Or maybe I'll take England in the early 1800's

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    If The Sweeney and Life on Mars are anything to go by, then make me a cop in the 70s please!

Seriously though, sometimes I wonder if I was born a few years too late. I've found myself listening to a lot of 90s music, and finding it really connect to me. Probably would've been awesome during indie nights at clubs! That's an idealised viewpoint, anyway.
    A cop
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The 1950s (in the USA) would be great as long as you were white and male. I was of age in the 1970s and let me tell you, from a fashion perspective alone, they were HORRIBLE!...but at least you knew your chemist then!!!

My Mood
    Angelic

Well...I think I might skip the "crap in the streets" and black plague stage and head right on into WWI. If I'm gonna fight, it's not gonna be fair. I'm not about marching onto a field with horns blazing just to charge into someone's sword. I'm the kid that finds a big machine gun and goes at it! I'd also love to be a sniper lol but my heart tells me I might cry afterwards.

My Mood
    Angelic

ok...I've changed my mind a 1940's flapper but the girlfriend of a big mobster that wasn't afraid to let me play with his guns.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

What's the era where pale skin and fat was hot? That's the one I want.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I always feel like I should have been born a long, long time ago ... in a galaxy far , far away ....

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leah View Post
    Well...I think I might skip the "crap in the streets" and black plague stage and head right on into WWI. If I'm gonna fight, it's not gonna be fair. I'm not about marching onto a field with horns blazing just to charge into someone's sword. I'm the kid that finds a big machine gun and goes at it! I'd also love to be a sniper lol but my heart tells me I might cry afterwards.
    I actually think I would have taken shit in the streets and the plague over mustard gas. I've read some pretty gruesome descriptions of what that was like by English authors.

Dulce et Decorum Est

1 Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
    2 Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
    3 Till on the haunting flares we turned out backs,
    4 And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
    5 Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
    6 But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame, all blind;
    7 Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
    8 Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

9 Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!--An ecstasy of fumbling
    10 Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
    11 But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
    12 And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime.--
    13 Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
    14 As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

15 In all my dreams before my helpless sight
    16 He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

17 If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
    18 Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
    19 And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
    20 His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin,
    21 If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
    22 Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs
    23 Bitter as the cud
    24 Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
    25 My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    26 To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    27 The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
    28 Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Yeah, I always feel like I should have been born a long, long time ago ... in a galaxy far , far away ....

People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

If I would have been born in the Middle Ages, I would have been burned for being a witch
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I have recently decided I should have been born in the 50's. Honestly I have no desire to break the glass celing! Anyone else feel like they were born in the wrong decade?
    Bra burners thought they were doing women a favor...blah!
    Um, you do realize that if you'd been born in the 50's you still wouldn't have been old enough for a bra until around the 70's?

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I used to wish I that I had been born in the middle ages but Chris pretty much hit the nail on the head...extremely shitty time to be alive, at least in Europe. Now...if I could have been a wealthy sheik with 147 wives...now that would have been something. But then, whenever I think of being born in another time now I always have to follow it up with, "but only if I can be rich".

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always wanted to be alive in Rome during the Roman Empire. I'm not saying this would have been a good time to be alive, but still. The same goes for the American Old West, after the Civil War.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

In Nowhere Boy, the young John Lennon asks his mom, "Why couldn't God have let me be Elvis Presley?" and she replies, "Because He was saving you to become John Lennon." That kind of sums up my feelings about this topic -- the world is what you make of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast