Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Contest #2 - Abel Vannay

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    ... and interpreting him vastly different that you probably actually see him to make a point.
    Ding ding ding we have a winner!

During the first contest I didn't post a picture of Ticky for the specific reason that I didn't think that my interpretation would be good enough to be placed among the other works. I wasn't the only one who posted saying, "I would've submitted something but..."

The biggest killer of creativity is self doubt. Not believing in yourself or your skills, or even fearing mockery holds too many artists back. I thought that by submitting a downright ridiculous version of Vannay that members would have that excuse of the "but..." taken away.

"Normally I'd have never posted one of my pictures because I'm not a good enough artist but that Vannay picture was strange and it still got people talking and it got votes so I should try."

Unfortunately, the admins here are too nice and they messed it all up.

Regardless I would hope some of our more self doubting artists won't be so afraid because they have nothing to fear and they should submit anyway because the only true judge of art, is time.

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

I hope that the admins will take what I've said seriously though. Creating a message board contest where submissions can be vetoed by admin after a memberwide voting process negates the need for voting in the first place.

If you're afraid that the members won't vote for what you want, fixing it to how you see fit, reflects not only a flaw in the system, but in you, the admins as well.

We all love the Dark Tower and wish the towerpedia well. Have a little more faith in us please. We wouldn't want this site's legacy to be a joke. We may all be different people with different backgrounds, but we all share this commonality.

We've given our time, effort and money for the Dark Tower. We love it and we want it taken seriously.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think you make an extremely valid point, Jimmy. I think what everyone was thinking is just that we do take the Towerpedia seriously, since it is our only informational content on the series. I agree that we should give the members some credit, and I really don't think that a joke image would be voted in. The right to veto images is merely a safeguard, and I seriously don't think it is one that we would ever need to use, because the majority are going to vote for the image that they feel best represents the character.

I applaud you for making an effort to try to open up other artists on the site, and make them feel comfortable participating. I also apologize that it was kind of ruined by the staff reaction. I love the funny images. This should be fun; we should be able to laugh. And we want to see any piece of art that any member wants to produce. We want to encourage, and I know that this has turned more toward discouragement.

The Directors are going to discuss the matter more thoroughly. More later...
    Heng Dai

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

*bump*

Remember, the contest ends Monday!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I should change mine... but I can't so... I am ready.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice boehmke is on a distinguished road boehmke's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

HANNAH POST YOURS NOW!!!!!

I don't care of the drama it may cause! I WANT TO SEE!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Next time I won't send mine and I hope from the bottom of my heart that boehmke will write me something like this...

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grillslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillslinger View Post
    I need an extension after all, friend!
    You got it! Contest will be open until December 18, 2007. No more extensions will be available.
    Thank you Hain of Dag!
    The 18 is Tuesday! I'll have my entry on time!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You are correct - apparently my calendar reading skills are questionable. You still have until tomorrow.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

Okay....getting to a scanner. I'll have it up in the next couple of hours.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I'm just waiting for you!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, nice - it even ticks!

Okay, here it is...I wanted to do a lot more with it, but I waited until the last moment.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very cool.
    Thanks so much for the contribution.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay!

I'll keep it open for another 1/2 hour, just to be sure. So at 7:45 it's all over, folks.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Contest is now closed. Voting to begin soon!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5