Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Whelan, Artist

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very nice, Spencer!

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's damn cool man.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Here's the inscription in my 1st edition Gunslinger:
    Very nice and undoubtedly unique.

Gunslinger Apprentice artan is on a distinguished road artan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also got to hold and take unlimited pictures of my favorite illustration of the series, the one piece of art I'd love to own more than any other, you know, this one:
    Wonderful illustration, it's one of my favourite too...

....and great inscription...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Spencer, that is a great story! Wonderful inscriptions from a generous, talented artist.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

and once i actually have time to charge up my digicam batteries, I'll get pics of the other stuff.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

and once i actually have time to charge up my digicam batteries, I'll get pics of the other stuff.
    Do it, man! Do it!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Michael is top notch!

And to answer Herbertwest's question from the top of the page, this was the endpaper in VII.

The new book will have beautious endpapers as well!!

And I get to look at The End of the Road every day, well at least when Robert has it, as it hangs on the wall near my desk!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, The End of the Road, that is a good one.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

When I ordered the Legends print recently, it came rolled up with a narrow strip of thick paper keeping the print rolled. The strip of paper was a thin portion of the cover art of DT VII. You can see most of Roland, with a small bit of the Tower in the background and a bit of the field of roses. It's really cool and hanging on my wall.

Also, Whelan personally wrote a big "Thanks!" on my receipt in his distinctive handwriting. I thought it was really cool that the Whelan's put forth the effort to add these small personal touches to the shipping process. It's just another example of how thoughtful and awesome they are.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I am hoping to make it down to their house this summer, If I can manage to get an invitation! LOL
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

More of a general Michael Whelan update....

Michael has the signature pages to the new Little Sisters of Eluria/Revised Gunslinger book on his dining room table, so the book is beginning to move along following a long period of stagnation.

He has recently rediscovered his love of working with charcoal and has been doing some work with this medium. I joked with him that the charcoal sketch that he gave me earlier this year from his original Gunslinger work probably got him focused on charcoal again. He also just spent a week recently in the California desert with a couple close friends who are teaching him some awesome stuff about night photography.

I must say, he and Audrey looked fabulous and it was one of my most enjoyable nights in recent memory. They are fascinating people to talk to and the range of interesting subjects we discuss is always the highlight of our evenings together. It helps too that they are aligned pretty close to my wife's and my view on various world events and environmental issues.

To think, standing in front of and conversing with Stephen King last Friday and dinner with the Whelans on Wednesday, somebody "up there" must like me. Believe me, I realize how fortunate I really am.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Michael has the signature pages to the new Little Sisters of Eluria/Revised Gunslinger book on his dining room table, so the book is beginning to move along following a long period of stagnation.
    At least you squealed and not me!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    More of a general Michael Whelan update....

He has recently rediscovered his love of working with charcoal and has been doing some work with this medium. I joked with him that the charcoal sketch that he gave me earlier this year from his original Gunslinger work probably got him focused on charcoal again. He also just spent a week recently in the California desert with a couple close friends who are teaching him some awesome stuff about night photography.

I must say, he and Audrey looked fabulous and it was one of my most enjoyable nights in recent memory. They are fascinating people to talk to and the range of interesting subjects we discuss is always the highlight of our evenings together. It helps too that they are aligned pretty close to my wife's and my view on various world events and environmental issues.

To think, standing in front of and conversing with Stephen King last Friday and dinner with the Whelans on Wednesday, somebody "up there" must like me. Believe me, I realize how fortunate I really am.
    That sounds so cool! I love that I have met you and you know them.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Is that like a six degrees of separation thing?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

exactly!!

I've got like...two degrees from some very cool people.

My Mood
    Lurking

LOL!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the Whelan update, Wiz.

Hey, next time you're going to see King and Whelan each in the same week, how about taking my Gunslinger 1st/1st with you and getting some sigs for your ol' pal, huh?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Thanks for the Whelan update, Wiz.

Hey, next time you're going to see King and Whelan each in the same week, how about taking my Gunslinger 1st/1st with you and getting some sigs for your ol' pal, huh?
    Be happy to, especially with Michael. I have had him sign other people's books. He doesn't mind at all and will inscribe to a specific person if asked.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Really?! Sign me up! I'll send you my book the next time you two are going to meet up.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

ok, as it is a little slow around here, I am going to post two photos of some Michael Whelan work. This first one I posted once on the other site. I do not think I did it anywhere here (because it was not in my photo folder).

Anyway, we all know the artwork of Roland standing in the doorway looking at the tower. This was Michael's initial darker vision of that same scene. He sold this painting long and long ago and has no idea who owns it, but I really love it. Thought you all would like to see it (some again) too.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats beautiful! I would love to own that.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

This remarque of the Can-Toi was done in the S/L Art of Michael Whelan for someone, maybe even someone on this site. About 2 years ago, I got Michael to do 2 remarques for me in copies of his S/L book and people on the other site loved them so much that several requested DT drawings and were able to get them.

I know Mr. Ink got one, in fact it's part of his avatar. I recall the full shot was awesome....Walter in the golgotha at the end of the Gunslinger as I recall.

Anyway, here is another remarque that no one has seen before except the owner (and me of course). And now you. Enjoy.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

These are really amazing. I am always awed by the amount of cool stuff that is out there and the connections to people that mean I get to see it.

thanks Wiz.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome Matt

HA! I just realized I made a joke. Sorry, Matt, at your expense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast