Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Whelan, Artist

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Wiz, that charcoal sketch is awesome - amazing artist, 25-year (or more) history, on and on. Michael Whelan must think almost as much of you as we do around here!

Bob, thank you for sharing the photos of the painting - it is magnificent. And congrats on your newest artwork purchase!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I ordered this from the Whelan website and it arrived today. It's an artist proof of The End Of The Road. 28" by 20". It is a giclee print on canvas. Looks pretty close to an original painting, IMO. I'm going to the frame shop tomorrow!

Mine arrives on Saturday, I did not get an AP (althought that is what I ordered). I got a call from Audrey last Friday I think, I was the first to order the new print and had ordered the AP but apparently they had more orders than AP's and would I be interested in accepting a regular edition if I could have a specific number say #19, and btw I would have that number from here on out. So I thought about it for oh....half a second (while peeing my pants) and said yes

I finally hung my other DT prints and original art and will post pics when this is framed and hung too.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Dave! That is great!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, did you received the "gift" painting as well?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, some truly fantastic artwork on the previous page - thanks for sharing, we're really lucky to have this sort of access to other fan's collections

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered this from the Whelan website and it arrived today. It's an artist proof of The End Of The Road. 28" by 20". It is a giclee print on canvas. Looks pretty close to an original painting, IMO. I'm going to the frame shop tomorrow!

Bob-
    He showed me this on Sunday and also showed me the 23 different variations they had to go through to get the colors scheme just right! He said getting the colors right was far more difficult than he imagined, but you are right, it looks very authentic.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Isnt supposed to be in the upcomming (well.. one day), Grand revised edition?

Bob, i bet that your frameshop must be quite happy to see you, they can watch som impressive items..
    but must also be quite scared to damage it....

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

firstly, that is one of my favorite of whelan's rolands. secondly, i have many canvas giclees of my own work so i know how high quality they can look when done right. congrats on that purchase, it looks amazing!

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

very nice!
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Wiz, excellent addition to your collection there! Glad that you and your family are doing well. Sounds like your boys really took a liking to Michael's work.

Bob, could you take a detail shot of the watch? The print looks gorgeous.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bast_imret View Post

I suppose so. I haven't made it to the frame shop so it is still at home. Is there anything particular about the watch that causes you to ask?

Also, there are supposed to be hidden messages in the trees. I can make out a few random letters and the occasional "19". Has anyone taken the time to find these and can clue me in?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I suppose so. I haven't made it to the frame shop so it is still at home. Is there anything particular about the watch that causes you to ask?

Also, there are supposed to be hidden messages in the trees. I can make out a few random letters and the occasional "19". Has anyone taken the time to find these and can clue me in?

At about 2:00 from the birds in the sky is the word chassit

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

No, just wanted a closer shot of how the image looks on the canvas, and the watch dangling from his hand is what stood out to me.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Can anyone post a picture of the gift print that came with that illustration?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Can anyone post a picture of the gift print that came with that illustration?
    Mine is at the framer with the End of the Road Giclee, I probably would not have had the small print framed but Michael signed it with a greeting and a KA doodle

It will be at least another week before I get it back to get a pic of it

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I just wanted to bump this thread and mention what wonderful people the Whelan's are.

The two of them have been so great to me and this site, they are both amazing.

Thank you Audrey and Michael.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I just wanted to bump this thread and mention what wonderful people the Whelan's are.

The two of them have been so great to me and this site, they are both amazing.

Thank you Audrey and Michael.
    I can also attest to that!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I can attest to the fact that the site is really easy to purchase from.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Whelans are amazing people. I only met them at Palavercon, but throughout the event they were so wonderful to me, Audrey answering my unceasing questions , and Michael, once he found out I was a fan of his Eye and KA doodles, putting them all over my DTVII AE where he signed alongside his original sig that came in the book when I bought it. His inscriptions were very nice and humorous too. My well worn 1st edition Gunslinger got the inscription "Is this Pere Callahan's Personal Edition?", and my DTVII AE got "You are truly one of The White." He also gave me some scrap paper that he had made a doodle or 2 on, including a face, while he was signing. I also got to hold and take unlimited pictures of my favorite illustration of the series, the one piece of art I'd love to own more than any other, you know, this one:

I can't say enough good things about the Whelans, and I'm glad to have had the honor to meet them.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a very neat story, Spencer. You're very lucky!

John

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. It was awesome meeting you there too! I'll get some pics of the inscriptions and doodles when I can.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That is amazing Spencer, sounds exactly like what I have come to know of them.

(even though that has just been few communications)
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

I also LOVED his slide show, not only his awesome fantasy paintings, but some of the album covers he's done as well, including one of my favorites, Bat Out of Hell II.

and here's another one he did that you may recognize:

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the inscription in my 1st edition Gunslinger:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

that's awesome spencer. whelan is so cool!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast