Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Michael Whelan, Artist

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
    I got Oy's Lament - just delighted - and I can confirm there was no presale, least not one that I saw. I just logged in and got lucky I guess.
    That was my first choice (of course) but I got Junkyard Robots after a discussion with the hubby. This is my Christmas gift and it was between that or The Little Red King Sleeps. I didn't realize Badlands Avenue has a very small Oy, Roland and Susannah in the background - kinda cool.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I got Oy's Lament - just delighted - and I can confirm there was no presale, least not one that I saw. I just logged in and got lucky I guess.
    That was my first choice (of course) but I got Junkyard Robots after a discussion with the hubby. This is my Christmas gift and it was between that or The Little Red King Sleeps. I didn't realize Badlands Avenue has a very small Oy, Roland and Susannah in the background - kinda cool.
    CONGRAYS BECCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    CONGRAYS BECCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    A special Whelan piece for sale....

Original Michael Whelan MAN IN BLACK Pencil Prelim

Created by Michael as the working foundation for the Grant LSOE Cover Art. It's a large piece measuring 20" x 30"ish.

In speaking with Audrey and Michael about the process of creating both this piece as well as the final cover, Michael literally wore a robe similar to what is depicted around the house throughout the duration of the project. Doing what he could to place himself "in character" to ensure he gave us a proper interpretation of what King envisioned.

As most of you know, I own the Original Cover Art and feel its time for another passionate collector to enjoy the pencil work that inspired the final piece.

Will accept serious offers via PM.

Shocked this has not sold yet. It is sooo amazing in person.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Michael Whelan, Artist

I’m a backer of the Beyond Science Fiction Michael Whelan Kickstarter. They just shared the forward and I thought this thread my be interested in reading

We're sending files to the printer for proofing during the week ahead. It's time to see everything on paper and get Michael's input for color approval. The process of getting the proofs usually takes a couple of weeks (including courier transit), so timing is perfect since Michael is going to be in Italy as an honored guest of the massive Lucca Comics & Games Convention from now until right around the time the hardcopy proofs arrive.
    In the meantime, we promised to show you something cool this week... out is an original essay about Michael Whelan by Robert Williams, the Father of Modern Alternative Art. Robert wrote the piece specifically as a foreword for the new Beyond Science Fiction book, and it has never been revealed to anyone - until now! Here it is...

Foreword
    Michael Whelan not only rides the high crest of modern speculation in science fiction and fantasy, his efforts also define the art of the future. This book is a glimpse into his exploration of expression.
    Whelan’s father—an aerospace engineer—certainly created the progressive mindset necessary for Michael to embrace science and its future possibilities. Raised in California and Colorado, Michael was well equipped for his career with a sound art education, having earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from San Jose State University and later studying at the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles. Art Center during the 1970s was no liberal art walk in the park.
    The awards Whelan has received for achievements as an illustrator are impressive enough—twelve Hugo Awards for science fiction art and three Howard Awards for fantasy art. Yet more significant are the accolades from his association with internationally recognized fiction writers who have benefited from his graphic services. As a general rule it’s the cover art that sells a book. Along with these accomplishments has come the gratification of a rather sizable following of devoted acolytes, his very own fan base.
    I am also an artist and painter and have been for over fifty years. I have undertaken this creative endeavor as a representational artist functioning in the orthodox academic art world. Consequently, I have been asked to theorize on Mr. Whelan’s work in a broader fine art context. First, let me make it clear that there is no single graphic authority that would be in a position to stand in cultural judgement of his talents and successes. His skill and imagination override any formal critique. Michael’s association with some of the top science fiction writers of our time would make criticism kind of a moot point.
    But all is not calm seas, as one would expect, in the realm of high art. Here is where I express my historical observations with respect to Michael. For over a hundred years, representational (or what we call realistic) art has had some rough encounters with the progressive modern arts. The impressionists of the 1870s preferred the flat color plane rather than the drawn line to give volume and definition to form, and they were quite adamant about it. Tight skill and realistic painting was considered part of the old dead world of classicism.
    Modern art followed suit during the early twentieth century. And later, the final death knell rang out for well-defined draftsmanship in the late 1940s with the advent of abstract expressionism. One would think that all idioms of art could live together, but this was not the case. The fine arts dilettantes of New York conveyed the opinion that lesser connoisseurs depended on three-dimensional expression.
    Michael would have had almost no opportunity of becoming an accepted blue chip painter on the international art stage. Ah— there was, alas, pop art during this time. But, pop art depends totally on appropriation of popular culture with very little opportunity for an artist having a rapacious imagination.
    The other art world was illustration. The fine arts upper class held illustration in low regard. When I was in art school during the 1960s I was referred to as “the illustrator” as a smug euphemism by my fellow students. Illustration has an interesting past. Almost all artists throughout history took commissions. There was no distinction between fine art and commercial art like experienced today. The golden age of true illustration evolved with the technical advancements in printing processes (hence, Michael’s world). These glory years were from the late eighteenth century until shortly after the second world war. This is when great names like James Montgomery Flagg, Howard Pyle, N.C. Wyeth, Maxfield Parrish, J.C.Lyendecker, Fredrick Remington, Norman Rockwell, and so on became illustration heroes.
    The world Michael Whelan comes from is even more exciting, the old wonderful phenomenon called pulp magazine illustration, the very cultural bottom of art. This is the world that has ignited more American imaginations than any other form of graphic, and the influence that made me an artist. The pulp magazine was the literary ground zero for science fiction and fantasy. It has origins and a provenance that shames most “fine art.” Fantasy imagery goes back in time three millennia, and science fiction to at least the mid-Renaissance (Leonardo da Vinci for example). The oldest paradigm of extraterrestrial art that I’m conscious of are engravings of fantastic flying nude nymphs on the surface of the moon which were primed in The Edinburgh Journal of Science in 1835. But, for the average person, science fiction was considered silly, puerile, and—at best—musing.
    Nonetheless, without the preceding seventy years of preparatory influence of science fiction, there would have been no moon landing in 1969. Michael Whelan belongs to this elite group of talented “imaginateurs” that keep our imaginations exercised and prepared for the coming impossible. In the same way he has stood on the shoulders of unsung graphic giants to bring you his tailored apparitions, young imaginative graphic aspirants will stand on his to expand his visual contributions.
    Michael’s wonderful work is a testimony that exploratory thought and skill don’t come easy. Accredited art schools do teach technique, but nobody teaches imagination, self discipline, and perseverance. Thank you Michael Whelan for your visions, we’re indebted to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Country
    Country Flag

What he said.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

I sadly missed out on the Whelan David posted today by.. get this... 7 seconds. UNREAL. So, I am just reviving this thread a bit to say how amazing Michael's work is and that if anyone out there wants to sell a piece, I would VERY MUCH like to see it and perhaps acquire. Thanks! kris
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Proud new owner of the Original Art WAYSTATION from The Gunslinger.....

Had lunch with Michael last weekend and he was pleased to discover the whereabouts of this piece. One of the few that he and Audrey lost visibility to over the years.

He indicated that it was, without question, one of his favorite King pieces he ever created.

Enjoy.

Country
    Country Flag

Good job buddy

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful piece!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

+1

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Had lunch with Michael last weekend and he was pleased to discover the whereabouts of this piece. One of the few that he and Audrey lost visibility to over the years.

He indicated that it was, without question, one of his favorite King pieces he ever created.

Enjoy.

Man, I MUST come visit to drool over the artwork you have.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very very important piece. Congratulations!

Traveler palooka will become famous soon enough palooka will become famous soon enough

Enjoy.

Beautiful! I love it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful! And the framing is perfect.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Oh my gosh. Just speechless. This is one of my favourite illustrations. BIG congratulations for acquiring it.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I received my Beyond Science Fiction and Beauties/Beasts books.

The books are nice; not spectacular but nice. They are similar to The Art Of Tomislav Tikulin if you are familiar with that book.

The art is incredible of course.

I do feel cheated though. I purchased the Carnival Completist's Set which was supposed to include signed hardcover books and my name in the acknowledgments.

I am rather disappointed in that I received hardcovers with signed bookplates. That is not the same thing. There were updates which stated that Whelan was signing the books. Now Baby Tattoo is acting as if a bookplate is just as good as a signed book even though that wasn't what I purchased.

I am in the acknowledgments in the Beyond Science Fiction book - the more important of the two. I am not in the acknowledgments in the BeautiesBeasts book even though I'm a backer.

Spoiler:

Selected reward
    $149
    Carnival Completist's Set (Hardcover)

The limited edition hardcovers of everything the Carnival of Astounding Art book series currently has to offer... two signed copies of the hardcover art book (one with each cover) plus one signed hardcover of the limited edition companion book "Beauties Beasts". NOTE: THE INTERIORS OF THE "BEYOND SCIENCE FICTION" BOOKS WILL BE IDENTICAL; ONLY THE COVERS WILL BE DIFFERENT. 50 OF THESE SETS ARE AVAILABLE AS REWARDS.
    Includes:

Signed Hardcover Book (main cover)
    Signed Hardcover Book (alternate cover)
    Signed Hardcover Beauties Beasts Book
    Name in the Acknowledgments
    Postcard Set
    Kickstarter Exclusive - Signed 8"x10" Mini Print

"At this point, the freshly printed books have traveled from the far east to the west coast, but they have to complete one more trip before they make their final journey home to you.

In an effort to get the books signed as soon as possible, Ringmaster Bob Self loaded his red minivan to the brim as soon as the international shipment cleared customs. He then shanghaied world-renowned magician Rudy Coby to be his co-piolt for a cross-country road trip to Michael Whelan’s studio.

This morning, Michael began signing books for Kickstarter backers, and as of this very minute, he's autographed them all! As soon as the red van is loaded, Bob and Rudy will high-tail it back to Los Angeles. The books should arrive at Baby Tattoo HQ by the weekend, and will begin to ship to backers on Monday!"

This was from an email received June 27 from Kickstarter.

Nothing in this story makes any sense if we're talking bookplates. Unless they pasted the bookplates in the books and then drove all of the books across the country twice. Which is possible considering the rubbing on the covers.

"The hardcover books feature Michael's signature on a specially designed bookplate - this is a standard way of including autographs in many kinds of books. We put a lot of care into this bookplate, making sure it was on high quality paper and featured a design that complimented the design of the book, including subtle debossing to match the cover."

This is in response to a comment on the Kickstarter backer page.

Here is my response to that comment, "Mari, in your reply to Fabian about bookplates you stated, "this is a standard way of including autographs in many kinds of books." While that statement may well be true, bookplates are not really a standard way of signing signed limited books, since they are rarely used for signed limiteds.

Two standard ways would be a direct signature or a signature on a limitation page tipped-in.

We were continually told that the book would be, and in fact was, signed. Sorry to be so semantic and pedantic, but a signed bookplate is not a signed book. If the offer was for a book with a signed bookplate then this wouldn't be an issue. We would have known what we were buying."

You right click the photo, select View Image and then click for a larger size image..

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

I believe he did sign them all with the bookplate already attached to the book. They probably didn't design the edition with a separate signature page which would be more expensive.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe he did sign them all with the bookplate already attached to the book. They probably didn't design the edition with a separate signature page which would be more expensive.
    BTAIM, It looks cheap-just like a signed bookplate almost always does.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I'm fine with it. This book was supposed to be a softcover anyway. They got enough backers to upgrade it to a hardcover.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm fine with it. This book was supposed to be a softcover anyway. They got enough backers to upgrade it to a hardcover.
    Did they upgrade all of the softcovers?
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Then they should have "upgraded" to a signature page. The whole drama of making a "midnight run/cannonball run" to get the books (plates) signed in retrospect was a waste of time. Color me less than impressed with the whole deal. The only part I enjoyed was going to Riverside, Ca for the exhibit, and meeting MW, and fellow fans.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Then they should have "upgraded" to a signature page. The whole drama of making a "midnight run/cannonball run" to get the books (plates) signed in retrospect was a waste of time. Color me less than impressed with the whole deal. The only part I enjoyed was going to Riverside, Ca for the exhibit, and meeting MW, and fellow fans.
    I agree on all fronts. The gallery opening was a lot of fun and something that I will always remember. The bookplate is kind of disappointing; it feels like at least the hardcovers should have had an actual limitation page. I will add that I am also very much enjoying the artwork I got with my reward

Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    I agree on all fronts. The gallery opening was a lot of fun and something that I will always remember. The bookplate is kind of disappointing; it feels like at least the hardcovers should have had an actual limitation page. I will add that I am also very much enjoying the artwork I got with my reward

Man that piece is Sick!!!!!! Love it man!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Did they upgrade all of the softcovers?
    Actually I was thinking of a different book I backed. They upgraded the cover to a textured/embellished cover, added 16 extra pages and thicker paper with better resolution images.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast