Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Internet Censorship?

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Default Internet Censorship?

American Censorship Day.

Congress is voting on this bill today. Look at the above link for more information.

If it passes, whole websites would be blocked from being viewable in the United States of America.
    "There are not even 100 people in this country who hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they think the Catholic Church to be."

--Archbishop Fulton Sheen

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

if the bill passes it will force lots and lots of people (myself included) to get our asses away from the computer and perhaps see if walgreens carries pitchforks and torches

so yeah
    this thing shouldnt be considered seriously by any member of congress, it's disgusting
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not an American, but if I was, I'd be doing what ever I could to make sure this doesn't happen. Feedom? Rights? What the hell is happening over there people?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

you know, American or no American - in every country there is a pro-American lobby (political or cultural) that will be realy to spring up and yell: see?! in America they've already done it! we can't stay behind the citadel of democracy!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I will hire the Joker to bomb congress.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

any updates?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice iowabob will become famous soon enough iowabob will become famous soon enough iowabob's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical

U.S. Congress contemplates legislation punishing copyright infringement on websites

Congress debated the Protect IP Act and the Stop Online Piracy Act on Wednesday amidst opposition from major websites to the proposed bills.

According to an August article in The Washington Post, Senator Patrick Leahy introduced the Protect IP Act, which grants the government and private copyright holders the power to take legal action against "rogue" websites that enable copyright infringement.

In these cases, the Post wrote, judges could rule to suspend financial support to sites allegedly containing unauthorized copyrighted material.
    Other than domestic sites, Medill Prof. Craig Lamay said this law, if passed, could target foreign websites.

"By allowing the justice department to go after piracy sites, the bill also grants jurisdiction over sites not in the United States," Lamay said. "It's bullying."
    Another Post article published online Wednesday said House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith presented a similar bill, SOPA, which aims to curb online piracy. According to the Post, this bill allows the government to penalize websites that contain copyrighted content without permission.
    While the Post said the SOPA bill has both Democratic and Republican support, major networks like Google seriously oppose the bills because they say it would undermine websites' right to free speech and inhibit job innovation.

"Some sites are so giant that they can't keep track of every little infringement," Lamay said. "These bills allow the justice department to come after these small infractions with a baseball bat."

On Tuesday major networks including AOL, eBay, LinkedIn, Facebook, Google, Twitter, Yahoo, Zynga and Mozilla wrote a joint letter printed in The New York Times expressing their concerns about the bills to Leahy, Senator Chuck Grassley, Smith and Representative John Conyers Jr.

To speak out against the bills, Tumblr created a censorship page that connects subscribers with their local district representative to urge him or her not to vote for the bills. Communication senior Elsa Stahura said she heard about the bills and how major networking sites were trying to work against them.
    "I was pretty impressed that Tumblr would create a censorship page dedicating itself to this cause," Stahura said.

Associated Student Government Speaker of the Senate Wilson Funkhouser said he called his representative upon logging in to his Tumblr account. He said he briefly spoke to the representative about the dangers of the bills.

"I am glad that Tumblr made it easy for people to actually talk to their representative," Funkhouser said. "It sets itself apart as streamlined communication."

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

HES DEAD
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    HES DEAD

True, but I'm a bit crazier than he ever was.

No motherf*cking b*tch would dare to f*cking censor me.

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    HES DEAD

True, but I'm a bit crazier than he ever was.

No motherf*cking b*tch would dare to f*cking censor me.

You do a pretty good job yourself!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????