Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: 11/22/63 ******Spoilers!!!

Along the Path of the Beam Jacqui will become famous soon enough Jacqui will become famous soon enough Jacqui's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't understand- was it not in paperback, or was it limited edition or something before? Or does America work differently to the UK with its book releases?

Anyway, I absolutely love this book. I think I'd almost go so far as to say that it's my favourite King book.

I once asked a theoretical question on a Stephen King fanpage on Facebook, "Do you think that there could have been any way that Jake and Sadie could have been together?"

And one person thought I was asking if time travel really existed.

So, Palaver people, Do you think that there could have been any way that Jake and Sadie could have been together without breaking the world?

(Hoping for some actual answers here- I can rely on you lot!)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Jacqui, I think the only way Jake and Sadie could be together would be if Jake could have killed Oswald (despite his worry about Oswald being a "patsy") before the climactic scene in the Book Depository, or, alternatively, if he had decided to abandon his "quest" to kill him after all, thus leaving similar results of what we have now.

John

Along the Path of the Beam Jacqui will become famous soon enough Jacqui will become famous soon enough Jacqui's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, although I think that Jake was right when he said that he was worried that he'd be keeping Sadie hostage if he was to take her to his when.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I don't understand- was it not in paperback, or was it limited edition or something before? Or does America work differently to the UK with its book releases?
    It was released as a hardcover. It was then released as a trade paperback. It is now being released as a mass market paperback.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

But what's the difference between the two paperbacks? That's what I was asking...I read the words, but I just didn't understand them. Repeating what was said before doesn't make it any clearer, I'm afraid.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    But what's the difference between the two paperbacks? That's what I was asking...I read the words, but I just didn't understand them. Repeating what was said before doesn't make it any clearer, I'm afraid.
    This explains it pretty well.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very well.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry, I must be thick. Or British. I just don't understand why there's a difference between the two, or (if it turns out I have understood it after all) why it's taken so long to mass market a paperback that I bought in a supermarket years ago. I apologise for my stupidity.

This book was released everywhere that sold paperback books in Britain. This is why I'm not getting it.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A mass market paperback is a small-sized paperback. A trade paperback is almost the size of the hardcover, but is a paperback. At least in the US, the trade paperback usually precedes the mass market one.

An interesting note--the US trade paperback of 11/22/63 has a mistake on the back cover. It refers to the town as Jolie, not Jodie, at least on the first issues. I don't know if it was corrected later or not.

John

Country
    Country Flag

It depends on the book and the publisher. The US and the UK have a historical agreement to publish for their respective parts of the world. The publishing schedules of UK and US publishers are different.

Generally the hardcover, if there is a hardcover version, is released first. Then they release a trade paperback. Sometimes they are released at the same time. If there is no hardcover then the trade paperback would be the 1st edition. The trade paperback is a large sized paperback. It is almost as large as the hardcover.

Some time later, if the book is popular enough, they release a mass market paperback. The MMP is smaller and made of cheaper paper. It is available at a lower cost than the trade paperback. It is your typical "paperback" sized book.

In the US 11-22-63 has been published in hardcover on 11/07/11. Trade paperback on 7/20/12. Mass market paperback on 1/26/16.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everyone, that's a hell of a lot clearer now

I hadn't realised that those bigger paperbacks were different to the small ones. To be honest, I always assumed that they were for people who preferred or needed larger print! Oh well...

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Should we confuse the issue even further and mention 'Airport edition paperbacks'...?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Should we confuse the issue even further and mention 'Airport edition paperbacks'...?
    Those too!

And Jacqui, they do put out the large print in paperback.

Don't forget about the proof copies!

Country
    Country Flag

Nah, I know what proof copies and airport editions are hehe

Sorry, I've derailed the thread. Back to the book, everyone!

Traveler Tiberius is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Relaxed

One question: Does anyone have or is anyone interested in making a timeline with the events taking place in the novel? If not, is anyone interested in proofreading mine, once I am finished?

Why am I asking? Ever since I read Sadie would be hurt by her loving ex-husband on April 30th instead of April 10th, I am working on a timeline, showing Jake's influence or the parallel events unfolding between September '58 and 2011. I would like to see whether something like this might come out of it or not:

https://xkcd.com/657/

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Most intriguing, my new friend. I shall keep an eye on such a mind.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Ya' just gotta confuse us eh?

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished the book, and absolutely loved it. It was one of the more satisfying endings I've read in a long time - very bittersweet. I'd like to know what the original ending was, as King said that his son recommended the ending he went with. My only critique was that it was too long. The day to day happenings of Oswald seemed to drag. Sure, there were some important elements on there, but it seemed to drag on and on.

This would easily fall into my top 10 King books. Quite possibly my top 5.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I just finished the book, and absolutely loved it. It was one of the more satisfying endings I've read in a long time - very bittersweet. I'd like to know what the original ending was, as King said that his son recommended the ending he went with. My only critique was that it was too long. The day to day happenings of Oswald seemed to drag. Sure, there were some important elements on there, but it seemed to drag on and on.

This is also one of my favorite books. Absolutely loved it. Here's a link to the alternate ending. http://stephenking.com/other/112263/112263.html.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was one of the more satisfying endings I've read in a long time - very bittersweet.
    Totally. I loved the story and adored the ending. But:
    My only critique was that it was too long.
    this, this! not just "long", but emptily, uselessly long, not like The Stand is long (and full of life and giving amazing reading experience with every new passage), but like Lisey's Story is.
    Amazing story nevertheless.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

This is also one of my favorite books. Absolutely loved it. Here's a link to the alternate ending. http://stephenking.com/other/112263/112263.html.
    Thanks for the link. That was really bad! It reads like it would be a first draft. So glad he listened to his son for a better ending.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah that's a stroke of Joe Hill brilliance right there.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Wait...JFK is dead???

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched a Twilight Zone episode from 1986 yesterday called Profile In Silver in which a time travelling historian travels to 1963 to “observe” the JFK assassination and finds out what happens when you try to change the events of history.

I wonder if this episode was an inspiration for 11/22/63?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13