Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: American Horror Story

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was a fun season if not a particularly well-written or well-acted season. Yet despite its short-comings, I have it ranked number two behind Murder House with Coven and Freakshow a little behind it. Asylum was by far the worst in my opinion.

Thanks for the kudos. I must think too much like the writers (probably not a good thing) because I remember figuring out the season one twist
    Spoiler:
    (the daughter was a ghost)
    immediately. I actually think there were still protagonists at the end in Liz Taylor and Kathy Bates. They weren't particularly strong but the last two episodes definitely centered on them. It fits Murphy's running theme of the "freaks" (mental patients, witches, freaks, and transgendered) are actually the heros while the "normal" people (doctors, nuns, every parent in Coven, the rich boy, the police) turn out to be the villians.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Even though I guessed who the ten commandments killer was after the first episode
    spoiler
    , I still enjoyed this season a lot. The hotel is my favorite of all the locales used so far.

I get that happy endings are crowd pleasers but I really would like another twisted ending like season 1. THAT has definitely been my favorite finale of all the seasons. The other finales get a little hokey for me.

By the way, has anyone else read the theory that each of the seasons represents a different circle of Dante's Inferno? The idea being that each season has it's own particular sin. Of course, all the seasons contain multiple sins but it can be argued that there is a main sin for each.

Season 1 - Lust
    Season 2 - Fraud
    Season 3 - Treachery (or possibly Anger)
    Season 4 - Greed
    Season 5 - Gluttony

The fact that each season is in a common, central area (or circle) also lends credence to this theory. If true, maybe we will get 9 seasons altogether.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I'm hoping it's better then Hotel.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Interesting. I was really looking forward to it being
    Spoiler:
    the Croatoan theory.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    If "The Mist" is accurate, it could be that the Roanoke colony disappears due to whatever comes out of the mist. I thought I heard they're jumping between past and present this season, so maybe the mist returns in present day?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

American Horror Story: Season 6 ?6 - Teaser 1-15
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Spoiler:
    If "The Mist" is accurate, it could be that the Roanoke colony disappears due to whatever comes out of the mist. I thought I heard they're jumping between past and present this season, so maybe the mist returns in present day?
    That is true. I can't wait for this season to finally start.

Country
    Country Flag

Has the date been announced yet?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Sept 14, so we don't have too much longer to wait

Country
    Country Flag

Wow! Even less than I thought. Less than two weeks!

And good thing this teaser isn't creepy or anything:

American Horror Story season 6 teasers channel 'The Conjuring' with demonic doll

A NEW GAME BEGINS

They have the best teasers.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So what did y'all think of the first episode? It definitely had a Blair Witch vibe but in a good way. The "reenactment" having different actors/actresses cracked me up a bit but it does take some tension out since you know they survive (at least long enough for most of the events to be in the past.)

I really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Blair Witch as well plus an episode of A Haunting. Totally not what I was expecting but I loved it. Thought it was a bit scary as well, which I always wished some of the past seasons had played up on the horror more, so hopefully this one will.

Country
    Country Flag

I think it was a creative choice (and risky, too) to go the dramatic re-enactment route. I never would have guessed something like that. I'm definitely intrigued but will have to wait at least another episode or two to decide if I'm hooked by it. What I'm wondering about is the format. I assumed that we'd be following the people in the first episode for the whole season, but people seem to get the impression that each episode is going to jump to different people who lived in the house. I never got that impression, though. What I'm hoping they'll do (and what I thought they would) is to somehow bring together the real people (Lily Rabe and Real Matt, whose name I can't remember) and the actors playing them (Sarah Paulson, Cuba Gooding Jr., etc.). Maybe they're filming the re-enactment in the real house, and the actors start experiencing weird things so they bring in the real people to investigate with them. It would raise the stakes, I think, and make us care about the re-enactment characters (since we know they're just acting). The dramatic re-enactment/talking-to-the-camera thing might get old after awhile.

Random thoughts:

- I hope we get a new opening credits sequence (but I have a feeling we might not if they want to maintain that we're watching a "My Roanoke Nightmare" instead of American Horror Story.

- The animal noises.

- That was Kathy Bates for like two seconds at the end, right?

- On EW.com's recap they mentioned that Billie Dean (also played by Paulson) from Season 1 talked about the missing Roanoke colony, which I totally didn't remember.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

That's my one worry too. I'm afraid the re-enactment might get a bit old, but I hope not. Where did you hear that it's going to be different people living in the house each episode? I assumed it would be the same people that we follow through the season, and we'll uncover more of the past as the series goes on.

The animal noises, plus the torn up trash cans... I was just waiting for Bigfoot to appear

And yes that was Kathy Bates.

Also I really need to rewatch season 1. I don't remember that reference either, but I also don't even remember Sarah Paulson in that season. I just had to look up who she was.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Where did you hear that it's going to be different people living in the house each episode? I assumed it would be the same people that we follow through the season, and we'll uncover more of the past as the series goes on.
    A bunch of people over at IMDB. But I just think it's speculation. It just struck me as interesting that so many got that impression that we'd be jumping around to different occupants each episode.

And yeah, Sarah Paulson as Billie Dean was just a minor character. I think she appeared in Hotel, too (but I haven't seen it yet)?

EDIT: So it looks like we're only getting 10 episodes this year. That means no excuse for filler!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

That is funny because I never got that feeling from the show either, especially since it ends at a dramatic point. It'd be weird to switch to a new family now. And after looking up who she was in the first season, she does appear in Hotel as the same character.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    That is funny because I never got that feeling from the show either, especially since it ends at a dramatic point. It'd be weird to switch to a new family now.
    It definitely would. Unless a bunch of past owners of the house had the exact same experiences, then they could just continue the plot but with different characters. But I don't think I can see them doing that.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The trailer for episode 2 suggests they are sticking with the same story at least for a little while...

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You know the main reason I like this season so far? SO FAR it tells a God-damned coherent story. Not like ...

"THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS SEASON ON AMERICAN HORROR STORY WE'RE DEALING WITH AN INSANE ASYLUM, ALIENS, ZOMBIES, NAZIS, SERIAL KILLERS, ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND WEREWOLVES! TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO SEE OUR STORY GO NOWHERE AND THE ENDING FALL INTO THE TOILET, SEE YOU THEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Other than the first season, which I thought was great, the other seasons have been huge fucking disappointments. Off to a good start, now stay that way!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm definitely intrigued but will have to wait at least another episode or two to decide if I'm hooked by it. What I'm wondering about is the format. I assumed that we'd be following the people in the first episode for the whole season, but people seem to get the impression that each episode is going to jump to different people who lived in the house. I never got that impression, though.
    That's what my thinking as well. Mainly because I don't see how they stretch the re-enactment/documentary thing all season with the same couple. It's just not going to work.

What I'm hoping they'll do (and what I thought they would) is to somehow bring together the real people (Lily Rabe and Real Matt, whose name I can't remember) and the actors playing them (Sarah Paulson, Cuba Gooding Jr., etc.). Maybe they're filming the re-enactment in the real house, and the actors start experiencing weird things so they bring in the real people to investigate with them. It would raise the stakes, I think, and make us care about the re-enactment characters (since we know they're just acting). The dramatic re-enactment/talking-to-the-camera thing might get old after awhile.
    This is what I'm hoping for too.

On EW.com's recap they mentioned that Billie Dean (also played by Paulson) from Season 1 talked about the missing Roanoke colony, which I totally didn't remember.
    That's a great catch. I will have to got back to the first season. As you mentioned, Paulson's character was a blink and you miss it character. If I remember correctly she plays a medium that's hired to inspect he house or something.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So far this season hasn't really grabbed me.

One way it could redeem itself for is at some point the actors in the Re-Enactment begin to be terrorized. The whole crew too. It needs something because I'm not loving the format at the moment.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

I feel ya, Mike. But this week's episode was my favorite so far. I guess because we finally got some insight into the mythology of the colony.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Kathy Bates

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast