Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics Universe

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Civil war split wont last for long, you can bet on it. All will take is another 'event' to unite everyone back together again. Oh look, World War Hulk is on its way

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple of new additions to my library, picked them up last night - The Walking Dead Book 2. [finally!], The Gunslinger 5, and Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness 1-4

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats man
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness series is awesome, some great story ideas there and Ash is always an awesome character

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I just finished reading all of Planet Hulk and then read the first World War Hulk. Amazing stuff.

WWHulk spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    When hulk is talking to the people of Manhattan via the hologram from his ship and he says "Now this city will fall. You have twenty four hours to evacuate. When I return I want to see Mr Fantastic Iron Man and Doctor Strange, and if they are not here" *holds up the broken and bloodied body of Blackbolt* "I will do this to your whole stinkin' planet!" I nearly stood up and cheered.

Next on the slate is Annihilation.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Tvmorbid View Post
    The Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness series is awesome, some great story ideas there and Ash is always an awesome character

HOly crap!! I gotta check this out. I'm a huge Evil Dead fan (and ED2 and AoD). Has the series just started?

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post

HOly crap!! I gotta check this out. I'm a huge Evil Dead fan (and ED2 and AoD). Has the series just started?
    No, it's already 4 issues in. The 5th should be coming out in the next few days.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post

No, it's already 4 issues in. The 5th should be coming out in the next few days.
    cool, not that much to catch on. I'll check into it when I go to get Gunslinger #6.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally picked up Civil War.

My Mood
    Amused

Dude...what do you think. I've been collecting the CW Chronicles. Also just started getting Zombies 2. I never did find the Army of Darkness vs. Marvel Zombies yet. But I did start collecting the new Thor and Ghostrider.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

X-Factor Comic Gets First Gay Kiss
    By Layla Dhere / The Advocate

X-Factor, one of Marvel's Comics' most critically acclaimed series, includes a same-sex kiss between characters Rictor and Shatterstar in the latest issue. This is one of the first same-sex kisses featured in a mainstream comic.

Previous issues of X-Factor hinted at a relationship between the two, but their sexuality remained ambiguous until now. Rictor's bisexuality has not been confirmed or denied, and writer Peter David has said that he doesn't believe it's something that needs to be explicitly addressed.

"I have much more fun tweaking the fans than actually spelling anything out,” David said in an interview with LiveWireWorld.net. "I certainly don't think we could say at this point that Rictor is definitively gay. I think we could make the argument that he's bi, but I don't see the point at this juncture in spelling it out -- not because of any sense of homophobia or anything like that but out of a sense that I think it's more entertaining and more thought-provoking if we keep it ambiguous."

While the first openly gay characters in mainstream comics were featured in 1986's miniseries Watchmen, Marvel refrained from writing openly gay characters until the 21st century, hesitant to promote agendas from either end of the political spectrum.

turtlex comments : Um, X-Factor is NOT one of Marvel's most critically acclaimed comics. I read it - but honestly, my friends and I usually refer to X-Factor as the X-Men's PR team. Also, it may be Marvel's first gay kiss, but there are a lot of other comics which have featured gay characters and them kissing. Actually, Alpha Flight ( which is also Marvel ) featured Northstar, a gay character, years and years ago but I don't think he did much kissing.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I dont like marvel or dcs retroactive continuity
    not one bit

But I'm really grooving on the whole norman osbourne in charge Dark Reign stories
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

I can say, in general, with regards to Marvel taking their characters in "new" directions... I've read some of the NOIR series... and really thought it was horrible.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah noir is lame
    as far as elseworlds like series dc is generally better than marvel

My Mood
    Gay

Default Marvel Celebrates 70 Years ... Opinions?

Good Citizens of the Comic Tower -
    Marvel Comics is celebrating it's 70th year!!

I thought I'd toss out a quick opinion thread regarding Marvel... please cut and paste the questions and add your answers.

1. All-Time Favorite Marvel Character :
    • a. Male
    • b. Female
    • c. Overall
    • d. Favorite Couple
    2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist :

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer :

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover :

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics :

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics :

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics :

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics :

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics :

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics :

11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why :

If you have any questions / answers you want to add to your response, please do so !

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

1. (a) Thanos
    (b) Elektra
    (c) One of those two

2. Stan Lee

I'm not even going to pretend that I know enough about comics to answer the rest of those questions.

FWIW, I have a friend who's worked at D.C. for over a decade, and he says Marvel's better.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

• a. Male - Wolverine
    • b. Female - Jean Gray
    • c. Overall - Wolverine
    • d. Favorite Couple - Spiderman and MJ
    2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist : Bushimi?

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer : Ugg...not sure on this one

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover : There is a cover with Wolvie and Jean kissing, very cool

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics : When Xaiver's son went back in time and killed him by mistake starting the best comic arc in all of the universe. AoA

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics : Magneto and Rouge saying goodbye for the greater good at the end of AoA

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics : Wolverine and Spidey in Berlin when the younger Harry Osbourne was killed. Close second...Wolverine and The Hulk, round two.

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics : Age of Apcolypse

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics : Origin's of Wolverine for real this time

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics : Jean Grey's phoenix power

11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why : XMen: Omega--it was the close to AoA and has got to be the best ending to any arc ever...that series is really the best there is out there.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    1. (a) Thanos
    (b) Elektra
    (c) One of those two

2. Stan Lee

I'm not even going to pretend that I know enough about comics to answer the rest of those questions.

FWIW, I have a friend who's worked at D.C. for over a decade, and he says Marvel's better.
    I love this FWIW

Actually, to me, DC and Marvel are just very different kinds of universes. DC has always been about Red-White-and-Blue-Good-Guy-Bad-Guy-Rah-Rah and Marvel has always been about flawed heroes and angst. I like my comics with angst.

Matt - I love when you pop in over here!! Great answers. I loved the AoA story as well.

This is my favorite Jean Grey / Logan shot :

Oh, and for the record - Marvel picked it's top 70 covers from the last 70 years and the # 1 cover was The Incredible Hulk #340 by McFarlane... which I find kind of funny, because if you look at it below... unless you look close... you can barely even see the Hulk !!

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

you know marvel celebrating 70 years is kindof a marketing ploy technicality because the marvel we know and love was created in the mid 60s by stan the man with help from ditko and kirby, so the marvel we all know is 40 something years old not 70...

All-Time Favorite Marvel Character :
    a. Male ben reilly
    b. Female black cat
    c. Overall Spiderman
    d. Favorite Couple Peter and MJ (in the ultimate universe)
    2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist : Bagley

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer : Bendis

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover : Web of spiderman # 117

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics : The end of spectacular spiderman #226, when peter parker finds out that he's the clone

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics : In the timebomb storyline when peter is trying to kill MJ because of his mental clone implants

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics : Norman osborne kicking everyones ass at the end of the thunderbolts caged angels storyline

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics : The second clone saga (durr)

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics : Again spiderman finding out hes the clone (and I still believe that he is)

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics : spider sense
    11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why : Once more spectacular spiderman 226 when peter finds out that he's the clone

My Mood
    Gay

Of course it's a marketing ploy!! I expect nothing less. I can't wait for 75!

Great answers, btw.

Bendis is awesome.

I'm having such a hard time deciding on the answers to my own questions. How embarrassing!

Emotional Moment is very hard for me, I can think of a lot of them. I love Spidey and the death of Gwen Stacey storyline. I love the last moments of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Hulk's "not just strangers die of AIDS" storyline. There are so many. Rogue! Cripes, every time she looks at Remy and can't touch him!!! This is gonna take me a while, I just know it.

Great cover choice : Spider-Man VS Peter Parker?!

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Great cover choice : Spider-Man VS Peter Parker?!
    Hells yeah thanx for posting the pic, i have issues with pic posting

My Mood
    Gay

No problem. It's a great cover.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

a. Male : Frank Castle (The Punisher) It was a tough choice though cause I love Spidey too. Recent storylines made up my mind (One More Day comes to mind).
    b. Female : Sue Richards (The Invisible Woman)
    c. Overall : The Punisher
    d. Favorite Couple : Reed and Sue Richards

2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist :
    Alex Ross

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer :
    Tie. Brian Michael Bendis/Garth Ennis

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover :
    Marvels #2

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics :
    The Marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics :
    The death of Gwen Stacy.

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics : The fight against Thanos for the Infinity Gauntlet. Positively Cosmic.

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics :
    Welcome Back, Frank

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics :
    The revelation that Johnny Storm's wife wasn't Alicia Masters, but a skrull instead.

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics :
    Johnny Storm's flame ability.

11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why :
    The Amazing Spider-Man #248. If the number doesn't stand out to you, the title of this issue is The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. It was published in 1984. I read it several years later, in 1988 I think, and I have never forgotten the story. It is entertaining, funny, poignant, sad, and moving all in between 32 pages. It's a masterpiece of writing and my vote for best single issue.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Gay

Thanks, Sam... I've been waiting on your answers!

Nice call on the Marvels cover - Alex Ross is amazing and that whole series is a masterpiece of art and interpretation.

I am leaning towards The Death of Gwen Stacey, too, but just can't decide, there are so many emotional moments that come to mind.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you've never read that Spider-Man issue Pam, you really should get a reading copy.

As to the Marvels cover, it was a tough choice. The sight of Angel lifting off the ground carrying the child to safety from an angry mob is really an emotional sight. Wolverine and his claws reflecting Hulk just can't beat the power of Ross's watercolors.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast