Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics Universe

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Marvel Comics Universe

I have been a fan forever, I may spend too much time in this thread.

I know a lot of folks are DC around here so someone may need to start a thread for that.

Currently, I am reading the Wolverine TPB because he has a huge fight going on with Sabortooth. They were fighting during the Mutant Massacre in '85 when I started reading comics so I have a soft spot for them
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I always was into the idea of comics and I like the characters, but I never really did read them. I heard that there's some huge X-Men hardcover book with, what, all the Ultimate issues in it? I want that.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My kid got a Ultimate X-Men graphic novel for Christmas from my ex (his mom). It was really cool to read. I love the fact that he is old enough to get gifts I would be interested in borrowing from him.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

There are "other" Marvel comics?!?!

LOL j/k
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I know, its very hard to believe.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

The most recent marvel stuff that I have read was the Civil War stuff. I have been too bsy to dig into much lately.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read the Marvel Zombies series yet?

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I actually haven't, though every comic fan I know tells me taht I need to. I just haven't found time. Robert Kirkman actually came to campus here at EKU a while back, but I didn't get to go meet him.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't heard of it. We're lucky to get X-Men out here in bodunk town.

<--also can't get the new Gunslinger comic.

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Marvels Zombies is really quite entertaining. It's not your typical zombie story -- the zombies retain their human intellgence, for one thing -- but it's a unique comic and really a hell of a lot of fun. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an offbeat horror story.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh shit! I'll have to check those zombie comics out. I wonder if that was the series that Will was telling me about...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMP View Post
    Marvels Zombies is really quite entertaining. It's not your typical zombie story -- the zombies retain their human intellgence, for one thing -- but it's a unique comic and really a hell of a lot of fun. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an offbeat horror story.
    I just ordered the first volume

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm so glad Fever was the last to post.

So, you're sig is the one shot cover for Marvel Zombies and it turns out there is an entire arch dedicated to it. 5 issues that have already been bundled I think.

Matthew found out on the net that at some point the Silver Surfer comes along and the marvel zombies finally beat him, take his power inside and then unite to fight Galactus.

And win....

Anyone else here about these?

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm so glad Fever was the last to post.

So, you're sig is the one shot cover for Marvel Zombies and it turns out there is an entire arch dedicated to it. 5 issues that have already been bundled I think.

Matthew found out on the net that at some point the Silver Surfer comes along and the marvel zombies finally beat him, take his power inside and then unite to fight Galactus.

And win....

Anyone else here about these?

Saw it with my own two eyes. There's a really funny scene when zombie Wolverine slashes at the Surfer. I won't say what happens, but it's classic.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A friend lent me the X-Men - Age of Apocalypse collection - its pretty damn good. I'm generally more of a DC girl though...well, just Doom Patrol to be precise.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The Age of Apocalypse is one of my most favorite Marvel story lines ever. Its really good, I used to have all 28 of them or however many it was.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    The most recent marvel stuff that I have read was the Civil War stuff. I have been too bsy to dig into much lately.
    Damn, Civil War. I got turned off right away when, yet again, Alan Moore's Watchmen was ripped off, (the government regulation of superheroes thing, which is only background setup info in that book), to create an entire storyline, just as it's been done before in the X-Men movie and in at least one X-Men comics storyline (I THINK Operation:Zero Tolerance, but I could be wrong). I stuck with it, and was totally disappionted with the ending. Tony "Iron Man" Stark is a totalitarian asshole, Steve "Captain America" Rogers acts like a true hero for most of the series, and then...

Spoiler:
    The wrong guy wins the damn thing, (Tony should have gotten HIS comeuppance, not Steve), and in the aftermath, to make a bad ending even worse, Steve Rogers is killed.

In my opinion, possibly the worst, just plain WRONG ending to a comics story ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Damn, Civil War. I got turned off right away when, yet again, Alan Moore's Watchmen was ripped off, (the government regulation of superheroes thing, which is only background setup info in that book), to create an entire storyline, just as it's been done before in the X-Men movie and in at least one X-Men comics storyline (I THINK Operation:Zero Tolerance, but I could be wrong). I stuck with it, and was totally disappionted with the ending. Tony "Iron Man" Stark is a totalitarian asshole, Steve "Captain America" Rogers acts like a true hero for most of the series, and then...

Spoiler:
    The wrong guy wins the damn thing, (Tony should have gotten HIS comeuppance, not Steve), and in the aftermath, to make a bad ending even worse, Steve Rogers is killed.

In my opinion, possibly the worst, just plain WRONG ending to a comics story ever.
    Spoiler:
    I kind of like when the wrong guy wins from time to time, because it shows taht anything is possible, and taht you shouldn't expect anytyhing. I'm a pretty big fan of Civil War, dspite the Watchmen ripoff. Comics constantly rip each other off anyway. I'm used to it.

P.S. I started the Ultimate FF comics that lead into Marvel Zombies today. I'll give my verdict later.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I do agree with a lot of what of what you say there Chris. You can't always have a happy ending, as a matter of fact, it's the unhappy endings that are the most memorable sometimes, and, though I may not have liked it, it certainly was memorable, and I DID buy the books, after all.

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Yeah, because Tony Stark would clone Thor, but would never ever clone Captain America and have the clone killed in public, all while the real Cap is sitting in the Negative Zone prison.

He isn't dead, not by a long shot.

Country
    Country Flag

I hated Civil War with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. So many complete bastardizations of character, pointless moments of shock value that meant nothing, and an utterly disappointing ending.

In other words, everything I've come to expect from Mark Millar.

Haha, that's comics in general, haven't you caught on yet?

Everything in Marvel and Dc since Superman wasn't really dead after Doomsday killed him has been moments of shock value that meant nothing. I just take it as being the nature of the beast now, unfortunately.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't agree with that at all.

There are a lot of good, quality comics out there that actually have substance. The Superman titles are both really strong right now, and the stuff with Justice League and Justice Society is spectacular. Dan Slott's work with She-Hulk has been consistently entertaining, and Annihilation and 52 were both tremendously successful at making me feel engaged and involved with B or C-list characters that didn't matter before.

There's always good stuff out there. You've just got to look for it.

I didn't say there wasn't good stuff, there's tons of good stuff. I thought that Civil War was good stuff. I just said that mainstream comics have been full of moments of shock value that meant nothing ever since they didn't really kill Superman.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

At least that one Robin stayed dead.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast