Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Personalized Film Recommendations

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Whenever you mentioned Beneath Matt, I always thought you were talking about another film. I just looked for it and realized it's not even the same name, it's called Below It was ok but nothing spectacular, so I was always wondering why you were raving about it. I just added to my list so I'll watch it soon.

Also, I just looked up Coherence after many of you have been saying great things about it. Looks really good, but I don't know when I'll get to see it. Hopefully they'll release it on dvd soon.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

a question, rather urgent:

I have been trying to watch Brazilia, got about 40 minutes in, very bored and annoyed; so, the question: will it be like this till the end, or is anything going to change radically? If the former, I'll just not force myself to go on.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Brazilia?...

Do you mean Brazil by Gilliam?

I really hope you don't.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Brazil, sorry

see, I still can't think or type properly so this may account for my inability to watch it

yes, I mean Brazil by Guilliam, and I am extremely sorry I didn't find it watchable. I think maybe I should wait till I am fully restored to normal (if it is ever supposed to happen) and then try again

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I didn't care for Brazil at all

By any chance Jean, have you seen Tideland?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Brazil, sorry

see, I still can't think or type properly so this may account for my inability to watch it

yes, I mean Brazil by Guilliam, and I am extremely sorry I didn't find it watchable. I think maybe I should wait till I am fully restored to normal (if it is ever supposed to happen) and then try again
    I can honestly say I'm shocked you didn't like Brazil. I thought for sure that film would be right up your alley. It's been compared in relevance and importance to other political satires like Dr. Strangelove ... (although I'm aware that that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good film)

Yeah, that might be a film to revisit later. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything dystopian. Films like that are always dark mirrors reflecting the absurdities that can come to pass. In the case of this particular film, I've always admired Gilliam's inventiveness when choosing the particulars; the steampunk aesthetic, the extremely chaotic and impersonal layout of the Ministry. It's all in the details.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

bears adore Tideland!! Not as much as Twelve Monkeys, but still

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Brazil, sorry

I can honestly say I'm shocked you didn't like Brazil. I thought for sure that film would be right up your alley. It's been compared in relevance and importance to other political satires like Dr. Strangelove ... (although I'm aware that that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good film)

Yeah, that might be a film to revisit later. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything dystopian. Films like that are always dark mirrors reflecting the absurdities that can come to pass. In the case of this particular film, I've always admired Gilliam's inventiveness when choosing the particulars; the steampunk aesthetic, the extremely chaotic and impersonal layout of the Ministry. It's all in the details.
    I see what you mean. I love everything you mentioned (steampunk in particular), but I couldn't help feeling that someone was trying to feed me a dinner consisting entirely of mustard, pepper, and wasabi.
    Maybe I am just not up to it yet. I'll totally try later.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Don't forget to try Coherence, Triangle, and Timecrimes, Jean!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I second Timecrimes. Pretty sure Heather will third it.

Country
    Country Flag

bears saw Triangle, it was ok. Rather liked the last ten minutes, but not the rest of it.

Never heard of Coherence.

Am afraid to watch Timecrimes because read that it was hard to follow. For me anything that isn't chewed to the point of being perfectly articulated (something only really good directors can achieve if the material isn't totally straightforward) is hard to follow in movies, so every time I hear the word Timecrimes I am intimidated

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Whaaaaa? Hard to follow? Maybe if you're 15 lol.

It's a fairly straight forward (no pun intended) time travel film. I didn't have any "how did" questions at the end, if that's what you mean. The best part is the... moral aspect, you could say. You should have no trouble following it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure bears have seen Triangle, think we talked about it after I watched it. I've seen it three or four times now, very skillfully made. Horror really has limitless possibilities in terms of storytelling. There is no story they can't tell. Science fiction is close, but is still limited a lot of times on the limits of science, or soon to be discovered science...it can tread on lines of fantasty and reality but only so much as science fictions goal is often to be somewhat possible. The only limit to horror is how horrific, brutal and dark is too horrific, brutal and dark lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... I couldn't help feeling that someone was trying to feed me a dinner consisting entirely of mustard, pepper, and wasabi. ...
    Well, yeah, insofar as it spotlights the sense of living in a world where that is standard practice. Unless you're talking about something else. Did you make it past the restaurant scene?

And you have also seen Time Bandits, Munchaussen, and The Fisher King already, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

bears adore Tideland!! Not as much as Twelve Monkeys, but still
    Excellent, I knew it'd be a film you'd love.

I second Timecrimes. Pretty sure Heather will third it.
    Definitely! Love that film.

bears saw Triangle, it was ok. Rather liked the last ten minutes, but not the rest of it.

Never heard of Coherence.

Am afraid to watch Timecrimes because read that it was hard to follow. For me anything that isn't chewed to the point of being perfectly articulated (something only really good directors can achieve if the material isn't totally straightforward) is hard to follow in movies, so every time I hear the word Timecrimes I am intimidated
    I agree with Feev, Timecrimes is pretty straightforward. Not sure where you heard otherwise, but I don't think you'll have any problem following it. And I'm pretty positive it's a film you'll love.

I know a bunch of us have talked about The Fall before, but can't remember if you've seen that one or not? If not you must watch it. And I don't know if you're looking for any tv series to watch but I would highly recommend Dead Like Me, and Pushing Daisies

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Horror really has limitless possibilities in terms of storytelling. There is no story they can't tell. Science fiction is close, but is still limited a lot of times on the limits of science, or soon to be discovered science...it can tread on lines of fantasty and reality but only so much as science fictions goal is often to be somewhat possible. The only limit to horror is how horrific, brutal and dark is too horrific, brutal and dark lol
    Hmmm... agree and disagree.

I agree that Horror has limitless possibilities, but in the context of cinema it tends to be very formulaic. I mean, pretty much all slasher films are interchangeable; they get all funneled down the same corridor and brush against the same tropes. It's all contingent on what kind of monster you're presenting.

Whereas in scifi films explores a wider array of the components that fall under it. Time travel, space travel, alternate realities, the science of dreams, questioning our reality, advancement of technology, etc etc.,

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm... agree and disagree.

I agree that Horror has limitless possibilities, but in the context of cinema it tends to be very formulaic. I mean, pretty much all slasher films are interchangeable; they get all funneled down the same corridor and brush against the same tropes. It's all contingent on what kind of monster you're presenting.

Whereas in scifi films explores a wider array of the components that fall under it. Time travel, space travel, alternate realities, the science of dreams, questioning our reality, advancement of technology, etc etc.,
    Yes, but sci-fi is stuck with the explaination aspect of sci-fi. There is always something to explain and often the explaination is an integral portion of the film/book. Horror requires no explaination and it's only limit is imagination. There is no explaination needed for why a vampire exists, it existing is enough. That's the main difference between the two in terms of possibilities. Science fiction almost always requires some reasoning for what is happening, horror does not. Horror doesn't get pigeonholed with logic, which makes it far more flexible imo. Science fiction is easily number two in terms of flexibility, you can do whatever you want so long as it makes some sense.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't see Triangle as a horror film, I thought it was sci-fi. And Jean, a few weeks back I posted the trailer for Coherence in the trailers thread, check it out. Great mindfuck!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I didn't see Triangle as a horror film, I thought it was sci-fi. And Jean, a few weeks back I posted the trailer for Coherence in the trailers thread, check it out. Great mindfuck!
    I didn't see the sci-fi elements. I saw hell lol

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Yes, but sci-fi is stuck with the explaination aspect of sci-fi. There is always something to explain and often the explaination is an integral portion of the film/book.
    A certain amount of exposition is required for any genre. Take something like Planet of the Apes. All that is required to know is that the experiments resulted in them attaining increased intelligence.

Horror requires no explanation and it's only limit is imagination. There is no explaination needed for why a vampire exists, it existing is enough.
    I'm trying to think of a monster movie where there was no explanation of where it came from or how it originated. I can't think of one. Refresh my memory... Like I said, all genres contain exposition.

That's the main difference between the two in terms of possibilities. Science fiction almost always requires some reasoning for what is happening, horror does not. Horror doesn't get pigeonholed with logic, which makes it far more flexible imo. Science fiction is easily number two in terms of flexibility, you can do whatever you want so long as it makes some sense.
    Again, we're debating this strictly in the cinematic sense. Horror might be more flexible as a story telling platform or w/e but in films it almost always follows a rigid format. When the endgame of all horror films are to vanquish a hostile, there is an overlapping of tropes and ideas and resolutions etc., As opposed to something like sci fi where you can have heavy actioners like T2, speculative sci fi like 2001 A Space Odyssey, existential stories like Eternal Sunshine, and everything in between.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9