Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which actor will advance to the next round?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robert DeNiro

11 44.00%
  • Robbin Williams

4 16.00%
  • Leonardo DiCaprio

3 12.00%
  • Steve Buscemi

2 8.00%
  • Henry Fonda

5 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TGAAOAT - Round 2, Group 6

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
    But do you base his whole career on one film?
    Me? No. I was sorta kidding. But I guess that, yeah, basing his career on that one film contributes to the popular bias Mattrick senses. Appears to me that judging an actor by one film is common. No less the case with stars who are judged positively thereby. I suspect that's played a big part in how this contest is going. I mean, I don't know for sure that anyone has thought "Oh, he/she 'is' (famous character)! I vote for that!" but it would make sense if more than a few have, don't you think?
    I think the latter way of reasoning is justrified ... If anyone has been great once, it means he is great...
    But not if one assesses greatness in a superficial manner. That's the specific element of the alleged kind of reasoning which I more intended to impugn as unjustified: superficiality.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I never thought versatility was that important at all. There are actors who are versatile and there are others who represent types: in French cinema, two greatest actors ever (Alain Delon and Jean Gabin) epitomize these two different kinds, both remaining greatest actors ever (sadly, without ever having a slightest chance to get any recognition here).
    Well, I for one would have voted for Alain Delon. He's great. And also for Jean-Pierre Léaud, if he was nominated. His portrayal of Antoine Doinel is awesome.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I never thought versatility was that important at all...
    The opposite is true for me. That's the mark of a great actor, one that's able to step outside of his or her comfort zone and still flourish.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, for me, an actor's truly great if they can make the audience feel a wide range of emotions through their powerful performance. It's one thing for an actor to move me to tears, it's another for him to make me laugh my arse off, but it's a wonderful thing if he's truly capable of pulling off both, especially if it's with a single role. This is why I voted for DeNiro over DiCaprio: DiCaprio may have played a wide variety of roles, but every single one I've seen so far have been completely serious, from start to finish, no room for making me laugh my arse off. Richard E Grant put in a mostly comic performance in Withnail & I, but it was a role not only played straight but also gave me one of the most deeply moving endings that I have ever watched. I can't think of a role where DeNiro has both moved me to tears and made me laugh my arse off in a single film, but he has achieved both seperately. I'm still waiting for the same from DiCaprio. Until that happens, I'm still convinced he's "good", at best.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think there are merits in both sort of actors. I admire versatility, but isn't necessarily bad to know what you do best and focus on that either.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I think there are merits in both sort of actors. I admire versatility, but isn't necessarily bad to know what you do best and focus on that either.
    Exactly! Just look at Rowan Atkinson. J/K because I actually love Mr. Bean

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Guessing you're not a Blackadder fan, then? Because while the first series was admittedly similar to his Bean roles, from the 2nd series onwards it's a completely different type of comic character he played: sly, devious, and a much more craftier bastard than his usual roles.

Sorry if that sounds like having a go, I'm not, I'm just saying that, surprisingly, Atkinson really is good at more than one type of role. Oh, and the end of series 4 proves that he can be a great actor at times. Just not in films like Johnny English!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Guessing you're not a Blackadder fan, then?
    rofl, that's what I started typing as a reply...

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post

Sorry if that sounds like having a go, I'm not, I'm just saying that, surprisingly, Atkinson really is good at more than one type of role. Oh, and the end of series 4 proves that he can be a great actor at times. Just not in films like Johnny English!
    It's funny you mention Johnny English...I saw a trailer for that(JE Reborn, that is) for the first time on my television yesterday! It looks...interesting. Yet I find myself oddly intrigued...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Definitely good to consider our standards. Cause, you know, we already had a Best Character contest. Best Actor should be judged by different qualities.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This group is closing today !

Country
    Country Flag

no surprises here...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Robert De Niro advances !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2