Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which King book should I read next?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Stand

15 57.69%
  • 'Salem's Lot

8 30.77%
  • It

3 11.54%
  • Under the Dome

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, What Next?

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Well, What Next?

So Im about 40 pages from wrapping up the entire DT collection.
    Having never read SK before DT (blasphemous, I know) after I take a short break and read various other authors I'll come back to his universe. I'd like to hear some suggestions on some of your favorite SK books. I have in my possesion The Talisman, which I have yet to read, so I'll probably start there. I am interested in hearing what my friends at DT Dot Com would suggest though.

Me, Skolpadda.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

OK... well, The Talisman is along a similar line to DT, a very good read...

but my fave book of ALL TIME is The Stand. There is a lot with Randall Flagg which you may find interesting.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Another vote for The Stand. If you read The Talisman, follow it up with Black House.

I also really enjoyed Misery - it's a page turner, IMHO.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The Stand for sure, its just kind of a "must read" for King
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The aforementioned Talisman is a must read.

If you want to get a little more info on the empathic vampires, I suggest you read Desperation (my all time favorite SK book) and Regulators.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Everything's Eventual - which is a collection of short stories. You'll be reaccquainted with Roland and Dinky Earnshaw...so what are you waiting for?

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I would go with Salem's Lot.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, fuck it! Read 'em all.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Another vote for The Stand. If you read The Talisman, follow it up with Black House.

I also really enjoyed Misery - it's a page turner, IMHO.
    Co-sign.

I like Daghain's suggestion too.

EE is essential reading, not only because of The Dark Tower connection, but because even the non-DT element is outstanding. One of the best Stephen King collections out there, IMO.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree Ruthful, I enjoyed every story. Different Seasons would be my second choice for short stories. I wasn't keen on Apt Pupil though, not because it was badly written, but because the content was so disturbing.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Oh, fuck it! Read 'em all.
    Hear, hear!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with all the above, but say that you should work your way through a collection of his short stories.

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Short stories might be the best way to go, you might get burned out at reading King's longer works. I always rebooted with his short stories before hitting a novel.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

so did I, Jimmy!

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Skeleton Crew and Night Shift are excellent palatte cleaners, imo.

I really enjoyed Night Shift

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, his short stories make a good start and I frequently find myself going back to them. Personally I can't choose one collection. I stand by my last statement though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I personally am not very fond of King stories, with very few exceptions. I like them to some extent, but for me they are nothing comparing with his novels. So, after the DT I would suggest going on to 'Salem's Lot (as DT-connected), and then The Stand and It, of course!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like Salems Lot, i think it would be a good choice

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You guys are always a fountain of knowledge and a great help.
    It's always appreciated!

See us both in the black

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you are looking to further your DT storylines then I would suggest reading The Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand and Salem's Lot. Those are three excellent books that tie into The Dark Tower.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you are willing, I would start with Carrie, and in order of publication date, read all of King's works. It really allows you to see the development in King personally, as well as a bit of how society changed over the last 35 years.
    After all, period pieces whether they be books or movies are really a reflection of the time the piece was made.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That's some damn good advice there too!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

That would quit the task Jerome, my friend. DT took me over a year to read (with other authors/books in between). I have the utmost respect for you all who have read the entire works of King. I cant find a bow smiley. So I am literally bowing to you. Believe me.

See us both in the black

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Another thought would be to take a break from King and read the seven titles written under Bachman. Five of them are what I call "2 day reads". You could knock all of them out in a month or two of casual reading.
    If you aren't ready to tackle all of his books, I think The Stand, The Shining and It should go to the top of your list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast