Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which King book should I read next?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Stand

15 57.69%
  • 'Salem's Lot

8 30.77%
  • It

3 11.54%
  • Under the Dome

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, What Next?

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well guys, The Talisman and Dreamcatcher arrived today.

It looks like ill be reading The Talisman first ^_^
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

great! thank you for the PM, too

I'm closing the poll, which has served its purpose, and an admin will remove it later

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-tet View Post
    Well guys, The Talisman and Dreamcatcher arrived today.

It looks like ill be reading The Talisman first ^_^
    Awwww...and after that analogy I typed out for you too...you should wait for Insomnia and start that first instead.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sorry man, the poll has spoken, ill read insomnia after The Talisman and Black House...Unless of course inheritance book 3 is out by then
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Traveler BevMarsh83 is on a distinguished road BevMarsh83's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default What to Read Next??

I've got a few King books hanging around my bookcase that I haven't read yet......so not really sure where to head next!! Opinions greatly appriciated

Desperation
    Talisman
    Cell
    The Stand (I know, can't believe I haven't read it yet!)

Em x

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

DESPERATION!!

....NOW

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The Stand.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the replies guys! I did start The Stand a couple of years ago but couldn't get into it...might give it another go : )

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

dear Bev , I have merged your thread with the pre-existing one, hope you don't mind!

Country
    Country Flag

Noooooo not at all!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Bev - give The Talisman a go. If you enjoy it, it will answer the "what next" question with Black House.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Bev - give The Talisman a go. If you enjoy it, it will answer the "what next" question with Black House.
    ditto if you don't enjoy it. Or even if you never finish it at all (Black House would lose something in this case, but not really that much)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

good point Jean. Talisman complements Black House quite well, but enjoying the former is not a requirement for enjoying the latter [though I personally love both]

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys
    Just realised that I own Black House aswell! Mmmmmm might get started on Talisman now.............

Along the Path of the Beam Depren is on a distinguished road Depren's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Want to Read a Book

So I've read The Stand and the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King and am looking for another book to read by him. Looking for suggestions (I know there are a lot of great ones) for which one you guys(and gals) think are his best other than the two I've read. Thanks in advance.

-Marcus

Gunslinger Apprentice Shamey is on a distinguished road Shamey's Avatar

The Shining would be a good one to read next. I also really liked The Long Walk. But that's a short one. Oooh Four Past Midnight is a good one too

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I second The Long Walk. And It if you don't mind reading another long one.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree about The Long Walk, but I also strongly suggest that you read the Green Mile. It is an amazing serial novel. (but that's just my oppinion).
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Traveler iprimate858 will become famous soon enough iprimate858's Avatar

Default SK Book Recommendation

Okay, its been a while since I last posted in these forums, but I need some advice.

I go through phases in how much I read. There will be months in which I will only finish one book, and then there will be weeks in which I'll finish a dozen. Right now, I'm in my "focused" phase.

I just finished "A Storm of Swords" by George R R Martin, which was excellent. The natural thing to do would be to read "A Feast for Crows", which is the next book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm holding back though, because the fifth book has yet to be released, and I want to pace how I read them. I don't want to relive the Dark Tower, waiting years to find out what happens to my favorite characters.

I've felt like reading some Stephen King, and I've begun The Shining, which I've surprisingly never read. It should only keep me occupied for two to three days tops though, and then I'll have to choose another book.

So here's my question: Which would you recommend reading? Eyes of the Dragon? Or Talisman? I'm in the mood for some good old fantasy reading, which is the better novel?

I'll even take it a step further, based on my love for George R R Martin's novels, who else, besides King, would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by iprimate858; 08-24-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: grammatical errors

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I'd try Talisman. Don't forget that Eyes of the Dragon, while VERY good, was intended as a children's book (it's dedicated to King's daughter Naomi). It's a simpler story than the more complex Talisman. After Talisman, you might want to try its "sequel" Black House.

John

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by iprimate858 View Post
    I just finished "A Storm of Swords" by George R R Martin, which was excellent. The natural thing to do would be to read "A Feast for Crows", which is the next book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.
    Excellent series!

I just finished A Clash of Kings a few days ago myself, and I'm going to pick up ASoS shortly after I finish the 3rd Harry Potter book. Be sure to stop by the ASoIaF thread which you can find here. *Just remember to mark spoilers!*

Traveler iprimate858 will become famous soon enough iprimate858's Avatar

I'll go there right now It is an amazing series, and I wish I were in your position, A Storm of Swords is in my opinion the best out of the first three.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

A storm of swords is one of the best books I've read, full stop.

I'd agree with the Talisman / Black House suggestion, but also offer up Robert Jordan as an alternative, though the series has started to lag as its gone on (no disrespect intended to the late Mr Jordan) or Stephen Donaldsons Mordant's Need.

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Well

I was in the same predicament, so here's what i did. I followed DT with "Insomnia" then I went to "The Stand" then I went to "Desperation." Also Roland's short story in "Everything's Eventual" is a must read for DT fans, not the greatest story but it's DT so you must read, hehe.

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Decisions Decisions

Alright I'm half-way through "It" and I'm getting to that point where I'm trying to decide what to read next. So the big question for me that I need help with is, "The Talisman" or "The Eyes of the Dragon" your thoughts and opinions would be extremely helpful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast