Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Where do you think you belong in The Stand?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colorado

47 50.54%
  • Las Vegas

9 9.68%
  • Ingoring dream and trying to survive

12 12.90%
  • Dead (Captain Trips)

13 13.98%
  • Other (specify)

12 12.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stand - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

He's not saying that--Nick was blown up, just a different one

He's just saying that he wished the boys that did go to Vegas could have gone down better than they did.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey everyone! Just a quick reminder, this thread has the radioactive "Spoiler" marker beside it as well as the word Spoilers in the title, so there is no need to use spoiler tags. This thread is for those who have read the book in it's entirety, so we can freely discuss all aspects of the book!

All that being said, there is some great discussion in here. It makes me want to read The Stand again for the millionth time.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, Mattrick! Yes, I was confusing Nick (who DID save all the council members) with Ralph!!!

I've been under a lot of pressure.

Anyhoo....my minor objection to how the two guys in Vegas died remains.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Shit, I was confused too.

I'm overwhelmed by The Stand today

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for all the confusion.

Move along, there's nothing more to see here.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

if you're quoting officer barbarady (as I linked that to) I'll rebuttal with 'the booktastic book guy making love to chickens so you learn to remember Ralph instead of Nick' lol

I was sad when Nick got blown up, probably the first character death besides
    Spoiler:
    unmentionables from a certain work of fiction this site is based on
    . While I like the other characters the two that spoke the loudest to me were Trash Can Man and Nick - the best. I love the way King is about to capture people with handicaps (blindness, deaf/dumb, paralyzed, downs) and make their character so in depth. Nick spoke to me stronger (laugh if you get it) than other characters because he's life as been so tragic and he's had all these limitations and he can't experience so much the worker has to offer, he's homeless yet he still manages to be a nice person and his pairing with Tom Cullen was great, unable to communicate (deaf and dumb...and well, just dumb). There are characters I like also (Lloyd, Harold, Nadine, Tom Cullen, Flagg) that (160 pages in) are not yet made an appearence. Knowing there is still so much to happen gives me goosebumps. I hardly recall the book except for I know from the mini-series I've seen numerous times I recall the general plot well and certain changes (no rita, just Nadine etc) but there is so much I've forgotten.

Still, never been a big fan of Larry. I like his characters backstory but at the moment, until Captain Trips really rolls and he goes through the tunnel, not much really happens with him. Talks with his mom, music star blows money on drugs...nothing new. I recall Larry being a great character as it progresses when you see him shed the head he developed so quickly as, on the road and in Boulder, it means as little as Tom Cullen being dumb or Nick being deaf and dumb.

Though, I find it interesting how the 'evils' in Vegas turn out to be not so much different than the people in boulder in many regards. Tom Cullen wasn't bothered, they had an order as well and worked as it's own society. They were just about drinkin and partying while people in boulder liked having town meetings and drinking coffee.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dear friends,

thank you very much for marking your spoilers. However, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that it is a "spoiler" thread, that is, we don't mark spoilers referring to The Stand here. I appreciate it that you want to be as careful as possible, not to ruin anything for anyone, but, since ***Spoilers!!! are mentioned in the title of the thread (and a special spoiler icon is attached), we now should also care about the readability of the thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

my spoiler was about the dark tower.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, and thank you very much for having marked it!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    Interesting thoughts and connections.

I read The Stand (Uncut) for the first time while deployed during the early Gulf War. It was JUST what I needed. A deep escape. I enjoyed the characters, the journey, and of course the writing.

I plan to read it again. My only problem has always been "The Stand." Maybe I need to read it again, but I didn't see much "cause and effect" of those who entered Vegas (Nick, Larry, etc.) in relation to the fact that the bomb would have gone off anyway.

This WILL always be one of King's epics. Along with IT and the Dark Tower books.
    Larry and Ralph and Glen had to be there, They had to "make their Stand" because Flagg had allready decided that this was the where and when that he was going to make his.

Once, he was quite sure, he would have done a quick fade when things began to get flaky. Not this time. This was his place, his time, and he would take his stand here.
    Mother Abagail told them much the same when she "sent them west".

He brought you here only to send you further, on a quest. He means for you to try and destroy the Dark Prince, this Man of far Leagues...
    Magic over Rationality.

* Glen describes rationalism (science) as a deathtrip and makes the leap that if rationalism is the deathtrip then irrationalism (or Magic) is the Lifetrip, and that maybe Flagg is but the “last magician of rational thought.”

And what defeats The Leader of The People and First Citizen (and I'd be willing to bet that's the title they hung on John Farson) was the presence of the agents of the white. And looking at it - had Stu been there - they would have failed. It had to be Larry and Ralph.

Ralph - to channel the pure Faith; and Larry to channel the Faith Learned (which is of course the most powerful).

Had it just been Flagg and Trash - Flagg could have zapped Trash and his present off to "never never trashcanland". Zap - no problem. We both overestimate and underestimate him. Absent the presence of Larry and Ralph - his own do not begin to question him.

That - more than anything - leads to his demise. His people SEE that he is a liar. And in the face of TRUTH and THE WHITE their belief in Flagg falters. Without undying devotion there is no magic - rational or otherwise. When Whitney Horgan came forward and cried to those gathered "This ain't right!" That was the end of Flagg. And Larry and Ralph had to be there for that.

They Made Their Stand.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I never noticed this before, but Mother Abigail calls Frannie's baby... THE CHAP.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

For real?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I remember thinking it was weird when they first started calling Mordred that.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

yes! She says it when she's on her death bed and Frannie is bitching (as usual). Mother Abigail has just told Stu he has to go West... and she calls her unborn child THE CHAP.

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I never noticed this before, but Mother Abigail calls Frannie's baby... THE CHAP.
    Nice One! I totally missed the "chap" reference.

I'm still gnawing on the whole "four fathers" thing too. The obvious answer is obvious of course - but here is one with twice the ka-daddies

And lets not forget the description of the "tyke":

* Peter's :
    "small hands were balled into fists... There was an amazing swatch of dark black hair on his head. His eyes were blue and they seemed to look directly into Stu's eyes, as if accusing him of being the author of all his misery. His forehead was creased with a deep vertical slash..."
    now who does that sound like?

I also never realized that ka is mentioned in the Stand... the Judge says it right before he is killed.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the ending of the unabridged version more than the cut version.

Anyone else?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Yes! I just finished it again, and I really enjoyed the ending!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I enjoyed the ending of the unabridged version more than the cut version.

Anyone else?
    What are the differences?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The unabridged version finds Flagg on an island with a whole new race of natives to begin his evil works over again with.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read The Stand more times than any other King book. And that's saying a lot. I read the first edition when I was 13 and finished it in less than two weeks. I bought the unabridged version when it came out when I was 15. It was one of the first things I ever bought with money that I actually worked for. I make it a point to re read it every few years.

One thing that always drew me to the novel is the idea that my Grandma (my maternal grandmother) could totally be Mother Abigail. She was unyielding in her belief and would be strong even in a crisis like that.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool! Is it ok if we all pile round your Grandma's for milk and moral cookies?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

**wonders what "moral cookies" are.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought thats the kind of thing Mother Abagail might dish out

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast