Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Where do you think you belong in The Stand?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colorado

47 50.54%
  • Las Vegas

9 9.68%
  • Ingoring dream and trying to survive

12 12.90%
  • Dead (Captain Trips)

13 13.98%
  • Other (specify)

12 12.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stand - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree - check out the Tower Connections section in the Baronies.

If you wanted to start a discussion in The Stand section, we could really get brainstorming going off your observations - it'd be great if you could include some quotes for comparison

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like the editors (or King himself maybe) went through the effort of updates the books timeline with so many references to 'the 90's and even the eighties.

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    * The origin of "being sent west."
    * The origin of "you have forgotten the face of your father."
    these two are really very insightful (the others being rather obvious, now that you pointed them out - though I have to confess I personally had never thought about The Stand in the light of the Dark Tower); I think it might even help us at last to understand the correlation of timelines and the worlds (as far as it is possible at all, the said correlation having to be intrinsically paradoxical), thank you Childe, and hile, long time no see, it's great you're here!
    Hile and hello,
    Thanks for the welcome and kind words.

As far as timelines and the worlds - that's something else I've been pondering for a while now. But that's for another time I think.

While we're on The Stand I wanted to post this little nugget I found a while back - I know this is another of your favorite subjects Jean - and I couldn't resist.

* After Trashcan Man blows up the tanks at Cheery Oil: "They were the eyes of a man who has discovered the great axle of his destiny and has laid his hands upon it." Trashcan Man found his Ka.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

OK... I'm about 2/3 of the way through my reread of The Stand...

Question... if everyone is so psychic, and everyone is having these bad vibes about Harold Lauder, why is it that no one... repeat NO ONE, does anything about him?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Flagg was fine. I didn't like Lloyd or Molly.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

my student, who had been reading The Stand for almost a year, called me yesterday. She had finished it. She was crying and saying, "I lived with those people for a whole year, and now they are dead, almost all of them!"
    Which version was she reading?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice Old Man Splitfoot is on a distinguished road

The Stand was probably the third or fourth book by King I ever read, and probably my second or third favorite (outside of the Tower). It's required summer time reading for me; I don't quite know why, but every summer since I was 12, I've read both It and The Stand. Now it's hard for me to read them any other time of the year. Really kind of strange.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    my student, who had been reading The Stand for almost a year, called me yesterday. She had finished it. She was crying and saying, "I lived with those people for a whole year, and now they are dead, almost all of them!"
    Which version was she reading?
    Complete, unabridged, - it's the only version I have.

Childe: gr gr gr. I don't really know what to do about all that - if .net dies, I'll just restart my Ka thread here. Destiny, - and in the case of Trashcan Man, too, - always seemed to me a retrospective notion; we know it was the point where he "found" it onyl after we know how it all ended, even though the author has the right to anticipate.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post

Question... if everyone is so psychic, and everyone is having these bad vibes about Harold Lauder, why is it that no one... repeat NO ONE, does anything about him?
    Maybe because he's so geeky and awkward that no one really thinks he's capable of doing something extreme.

I'm writing my thesis right now on school shootings and it's a common theme amongst them. No one ever suspects the shooters to do anything that drastic. They are shy, dorky, and overlooked by most everyone.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post

You have to remember that above all else - Harold was still veiwed by the other folks in the Free Zone as a kid. Those with cause to suspect him the most were the ones most influended by that perception, and we don't like to see "kids" possess the capacity to do great harm. Fran suspected Harold - yes - but there was also a lot of guilt that went along with her suspicion. Same with Stu; and Larry practically idolized him after following along across the country. Fran and Larry (after Leo gave with his "insight") did try and dig up somehting on what Harold was up to and almost succeeded - but Flagg was a step ahead of them again.

Also - and I hate using this as an analogy - but it seems to fit. It's like the family in the neighborhood that puts on the perfect front - but everyone knows that they're beating their kids. You know it's going on - but you can't prove it - and who wants to be the first to confront it? That's Flagg's brand of evil in a nutshell. Just under the surface and hard to see.

And what Erin said.
    Last edited by Childe 007; 12-04-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Missed a post.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice Childe 007! You said a lot of what I was thinking....just much more eloquently and you sounded a lot smarter.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

For real, that last analogy was great.

Folks knew what was going on in Las Vegas was bad, they just didn't understand how bad.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

One more thing on the subject of Harold Lauder.

He is the most tragic character in this book - IMO. Harold was in a place that a lot of us think we are at 17 - the outcast, that (name your affliction here) person who didn't fit in - who was the butt of all of the "in crowd"'s jokes and cruelty - and all of a sudden he is the last man standing. Fat Goofy Harold outlived all of his "cool" sisters crowd - he beat them all.

Except Fran - one of those he fantasized about - really "the one". And after the initial shock of Capt. Trips swept through Ogunquit and it was only Harold and Fran left - it must have seemed to Harold that he was in Eden.

And all it took to throw him right back to Loserville was contact with one other human being.

It didn't really matter what happened between Stu and Fran - it could have been anyone - because in Harold's mind - all it took was one other person to make him the "outsider" again.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting thoughts and connections.

I read The Stand (Uncut) for the first time while deployed during the early Gulf War. It was JUST what I needed. A deep escape. I enjoyed the characters, the journey, and of course the writing.

I plan to read it again. My only problem has always been "The Stand." Maybe I need to read it again, but I didn't see much "cause and effect" of those who entered Vegas (Nick, Larry, etc.) in relation to the fact that the bomb would have gone off anyway.

This WILL always be one of King's epics. Along with IT and the Dark Tower books.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post

I plan to read it again. My only problem has always been "The Stand." Maybe I need to read it again, but I didn't see much "cause and effect" of those who entered Vegas (Nick, Larry, etc.) in relation to the fact that the bomb would have gone off anyway.
    I don't know about that... remember the "hand of god"?

I think the guys HAD to be there for that to happen.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah. I do remember that part now--more from watching the movie recently, so am looking forward to re-reading the accounts in the book some day. I don't know if it will change my opinion. All said, this is one of my favorite Non-DT books. The journey and characters alone make this a literary masterpiece, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    One more thing on the subject of Harold Lauder.

He is the most tragic character in this book - IMO. Harold was in a place that a lot of us think we are at 17 - the outcast, that (name your affliction here) person who didn't fit in - who was the butt of all of the "in crowd"'s jokes and cruelty - and all of a sudden he is the last man standing. Fat Goofy Harold outlived all of his "cool" sisters crowd - he beat them all.

Except Fran - one of those he fantasized about - really "the one". And after the initial shock of Capt. Trips swept through Ogunquit and it was only Harold and Fran left - it must have seemed to Harold that he was in Eden.

And all it took to throw him right back to Loserville was contact with one other human being.

It didn't really matter what happened between Stu and Fran - it could have been anyone - because in Harold's mind - all it took was one other person to make him the "outsider" again.
    That is excellent insight! I never looked that closely at Harold.

OK, here's a question.
    Why did they decide to merge Rita Blackmoor/Nadine Cross/ and some of Lucy Swann into one charater for the miniseries? AND, more importantly, WHY did they change Nadine?
    In the book, Nadine was the one who took care of Joe/Leo but in the miniseries, it was Lucy. It seemed like the book made Nadine a "good" person but the movie gave her more of an edge.
    Was this because they didn't want people to feel sorry for her character in the movie? Because, as I read the book again, I find her character to be a tragic one as well. I did not feel that way watching the miniseries.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think "The Stand" was a way for King to say these people stood--against all odds and for the future of human kind, they stood.

I believe that applies to anyone who was in Boulder

As a matter of fact, when I met Dora one of the first things I asked her is "will you Stand?".

She thought I was a freak but luckily she likes that.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

No silly, you have it wrong...

People in Boulder are freaks.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I read The Stand (Uncut) for the first time while deployed during the early Gulf War. It was JUST what I needed. A deep escape. I enjoyed the characters, the journey, and of course the writing.

This WILL always be one of King's epics. Along with IT and the Dark Tower books.
    I'm not sure what book you read but ol' Nicky Andross doesn't exactly make it out of Boulder...which is sad because he was awesome.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    No silly, you have it wrong...

People in Boulder are freaks.
    Yeah, now.

But they would be a little less liberal after the superflu I think

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Yeah, now.

But they would be a little less liberal after the superflu I think
    LOL!!! Are you sure? I think it might be something in the water up there

Last edited by Jean; 12-07-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: corrected the code to make quote appear as such

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

I'm not sure what book you read but
    Yes, I know he didn't make it. I just would have liked to see he and Larry die in a way other than chained up at some festival while an atomic bomb explodes.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the reason the guys had to go was so that a crowd would be there when the bomb went off

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I know he didn't make it. I just would have liked to see he and Larry die in a way other than chained up at some festival while an atomic bomb explodes.

wtf? Nick didn't go to vegas. Nick was killed by the bomb harold built, in boulder. How do you get the idea that he was in vegas and blown up by a nuke?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast