Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Where do you think you belong in The Stand?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colorado

47 50.54%
  • Las Vegas

9 9.68%
  • Ingoring dream and trying to survive

12 12.90%
  • Dead (Captain Trips)

13 13.98%
  • Other (specify)

12 12.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stand - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I was never a big fan of James Sheridan as Randall Flagg. His entire demeanor was a little too comical, especially in the early going. It's that he was bad but for DT I'm sure they could find someone better. I had some trouble thinking of him as this evil, powerful man at times.

Actually, I think maybe, that's supposed to be the point. If you look at how Randall Flagg is portrayed in DTVII, maybe Randall was never meant to be such an 'evil and powerful' man. As I am rereading the book, I am finding little signs of this, whereas when I read it before finishing the DT series, I never noticed... I only noticed the 'evil-ness'.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked The Stand particularly because it was such an in-depth novel. I haven't read it in years and am looking forward to a reread.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So am I! I haven't re-read it in ages, one of my students always has my copy.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved it, it is the one I have re read the most often and I do believe I'm up for another.

I just really want to buy and listen to it on CD
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post

Actually, I think maybe, that's supposed to be the point. If you look at how Randall Flagg is portrayed in DTVII, maybe Randall was never meant to be such an 'evil and powerful' man. As I am rereading the book, I am finding little signs of this, whereas when I read it before finishing the DT series, I never noticed... I only noticed the 'evil-ness'.
    They show you hints of the humanity in him but all his human traits are selfish. He pretends to care for Nadine but only so he can have his child. Nadine, herself, realizes this and ends his plans. He uses his humanity in order to use other people for his own needs. At least, that is what I remember from the mini-series when I last watched it years ago. It makes sense with learning, in The Dark Tower. He is human.

I love Lloyd though and Miguel Ferrer portrayed him pretty great.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have never read the stand....but I plan to after I finish the Tower books. I heard that it is quite good.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

William, read it! You'll love it, I'm sure.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

my student, who had been reading The Stand for almost a year, called me yesterday. She had finished it. She was crying and saying, "I lived with those people for a whole year, and now they are dead, almost all of them!"

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

did somebody say up thread they didn't like the dude who played Flagg in the movie?

I totally agree. I don't know what it was, but that guy was no Flagg

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Lloyd though and Miguel Ferrer portrayed him pretty great.
    Co-sign.

He was one of my favorite parts of that series.

I know it has its critics, but I thought the adaptation of The Stand was one of the few times that Mick Garris actually did a pretty good job with the material he was given.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    did somebody say up thread they didn't like the dude who played Flagg in the movie?

I totally agree. I don't know what it was, but that guy was no Flagg
    I first read Randall Flagg and pictured a dark cowboy almost (funny as I hadn't read The Dark Tower yet) as King always talked about his boots and his jeans, the way he could sweet talk you and be your best friend while you know he's the devil at the same time. Imagined being leaner with a plainer face, a grizzled face that's almost baby face. A dark cowboy mixed with lying politician. Jamey Sheridan, not his performance as much but he didn't look as if he could be so coaxing.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

who would you have suggested?

Traveler beef_roller is on a distinguished road beef_roller's Avatar

I was never a big fan of James Sheridan as Randall Flagg. His entire demeanor was a little too comical, especially in the early going. It's that he was bad but for DT I'm sure they could find someone better. I had some trouble thinking of him as this evil, powerful man at times.

Randall Flagg/Walter O' Dim/The Man In Black/Richard Farson... however you want to name him, he's always been the same. As Odetta says, yes he was semi-comical in the beginning in the beginning of the Stand. Always joking, having a malicious type of humor about himself, the dark jester I guess you could say. He was always right there in a King or leaders ear giving his advice.

Yet if you notice, he is also like this in the beginning of the DT series as well as in "The Eyes of The Dragon". I think James Sheridan is in fact quite a good actor to portray these men. I wonder though if he will affect the DT series later on though when the character begins to become much darker.
    I wasn't made to be nice, I was made to be right. - William Booth, 1935-1999

Life sucks. - Anonymous

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

who would you have suggested?
    Well, it's hard to say what actors will do a television mini-series; The Stand was fortunate enough to get Sinese and Lowe, at least fourteen years ago.

For his role The Dark Tower I'd suggest say, Stellan Sarsgard. Perhaps, Cillian Murphy.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I first read Randall Flagg and pictured a dark cowboy almost (funny as I hadn't read The Dark Tower yet) as King always talked about his boots and his jeans, the way he could sweet talk you and be your best friend while you know he's the devil at the same time. Imagined being leaner with a plainer face, a grizzled face that's almost baby face. A dark cowboy mixed with lying politician. Jamey Sheridan, not his performance as much but he didn't look as if he could be so coaxing.
    And see from the description of him, I thought he would look like a dude off of the cover of those old romance novels.... A gorgeous man, that it's hard to say no to. You don't realize he's evil until too late, then you've already agreed to do whatever he says.

but incidentally, Jamey Sheridan became more and more attractive to me the more the movie went on, so I think on some level the casting was well done. I still didn't think he was instantly as gorgeous as I thought he would be. *shrugs* Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I reaaaaaaallly thought he did a good job!

he had the right smile for Flagg... big smile... looks warm on the outside but is really chilling and a little scary

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I actually liked Sheridan as Flagg, mainly for the creepy smile like Odetta said.

As for the rest of the casting, I think most of it was spot-on. Especially Gary Sinise for Stu Redman and the guy who played Glenn. Molly Ringwald kinda bothered me a bit as Fran, but it was mainly just because I don't really like her as an actress.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

I agree... Molly Ringwald bothered me too.
    I really liked Rob Lowe for Nick.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought that Lowe was the best portaryed character, and can't wait to see him in Salams Lot

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Agree on Molly! Everyone else was perfect.!

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah, The Stand, the book that turned me into a rabid King fan. It's absolutely one of my favorite novels, and in regards to King works it's ranks equally with IT for me.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, even among non-King fans (yes they do exisit), The Stand is a highly regarded novel

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello All -

Just a quick aside if I may. This started nagging at me after I read The Stand again a few months ago - so I went back and read it again last week - and I have to tell you - I am really starting to belive that this is the beginning of Roland's tale - and Roland's world. There are just way too many similarities in principle themes to shrug them off.

* We see the beginning of Flagg coinciding with the end of the world.
    * We see Roland's ka-tet represented right down to Oy.
    * The origin of "being sent west."
    * The origin of "you have forgotten the face of your father."
    * The survivors all seem to have a heightened sense of telekinesis - the touch - which was common among gunslingers.
    * The last line of the book even hints at the end of The Dark Tower.

I think there are actually more than this but these are the ones that real off the top of my head. Anyone else have any insights?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    * The origin of "being sent west."
    * The origin of "you have forgotten the face of your father."
    these two are really very insightful (the others being rather obvious, now that you pointed them out - though I have to confess I personally had never thought about The Stand in the light of the Dark Tower); I think it might even help us at last to understand the correlation of timelines and the worlds (as far as it is possible at all, the said correlation having to be intrinsically paradoxical), thank you Childe, and hile, long time no see, it's great you're here!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Seriously, those are some amazing connections that I had never thought of either.

Wonderful!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast