Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Where do you think you belong in The Stand?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colorado

47 50.54%
  • Las Vegas

9 9.68%
  • Ingoring dream and trying to survive

12 12.90%
  • Dead (Captain Trips)

13 13.98%
  • Other (specify)

12 12.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: The Stand - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a bit out of left field, but I enjoy how King is not afraid to include handicapped characters into his stories. The Stand (x2), Mr. Mercedes and TDT immediately come to mind. I think it's refreshing that he is able to write them in as major characters as well. I remember the first time I read, The Stand and getting to the chapter regarding, Nick and thinking "WTF"? However it worked out just fine. Same with TDT. He is just so damn good at developing characters, its uncanny!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Deaf&Dumb will become famous soon enough Deaf&Dumb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry to rehash such an old thread. Ive just recently started my latest reread of The Stand. This is the book that got me into SK. I can honestly say that this is one of a very few books that when I do read it again, I make sure to read every single sentence. It may be weird to some, but after Ive read a book once I justify skipping over paragraphs to continue on with the story. I dont know if its my ADHD, or what.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf&Dumb View Post
    Sorry to rehash such an old thread.
    don't be sorry, these old threads are here to be resurrected when they are needed

for example, now I expect Amanda to come here and explain why she didn't like [one of] the best book of all times

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Look, to be fair, I think my biggest mistake was reading The Dark Tower series before reading The Stand. And here are my reasons why:
    1. In terms of a story about a group of strangers coming together to go on some quest or mission of great importance, it's hard to top Dark Tower. Again, because I read DT first, Roland, Eddie, Jake, Susannah, and Oy are my ka-tet. It was hard for me to become emotionally invested in many different book characters after completing Dark Tower- not just The Stand.
    2. The Randall Flagg encountered in The Stand didn't live up to the same Flagg I met in DT. In The Stand, he came across as a very unorganized villain who was quick to throw a tantrum when things didn't go his way. I don't know, I guess in DT he seemed more cunning and mysterious.
    3. There were too many people in The Stand. I had a hard time even keeping up in the beginning.

Jean, I really didn't hate the Stand just because I have those gripes about it. I really did love Nick Andros and felt sad over what happened to him in the story. I think Harold was a very well-crafted villain because I hated him just so much. So, there were some things I liked about the book.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm actually thinking of doing a re-read of The Stand myself. It's been over a decade since I last read it. Fucking hell, has a lot changed since then!

Amanda, as for point 2, it's kinda funny, as we saw SO little of Flagg in DT. I can't imagine his full-on appearances are much more than 20 pages across all 7 volumes. Guess it's a case when less is more, in this instance.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm actually thinking of doing a re-read of The Stand myself. It's been over a decade since I last read it.
    Wow, more than a decade...you ARE due for a re-read. I feel compelled to reread The Stand every couple of years or so.

Guess it's a case when less is more, in this instance.
    I think youve hit the nail on the head.
    In DT, Flagg is a shapeless shadow, a boogeyman who wears our deepest fears, since he is (mostly) an unknown; and its the unknown that scares us most.
    I think if I had read DT first, as Amanda did, Flagg in The Stand would be a disappointing bumhug.
    Now that I think about it, I should have expected the whole Walter O'Dim anticlimax in DT7, as I already knew what a bungler Flagg was in The Stand.
    Flagg was at his scariest in Eyes of the Dragon, IMHO.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Flagg was at his scariest in Eyes of the Dragon, IMHO.
    Yes!
    See, I read Eyes of the Dragon long before Dark Tower, too. So, again, the image or "feel" of Flagg felt different for me than the one I encountered in The Stand.

Traveler Tiberius is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    I feel compelled to reread The Stand every couple of years or so.
    I feel the same way. 'The Stand' has a certain importance for me, personally, since it was the first book from Stephen King I read "Back in the days". And even after all these years, it doesn't loose its magic. For me, it is scary becaue it seems the breakout of Captain Trips and the near-end of all civilizations seems so realistic, even after nearly 40 years of its first publication.

For me, 'The Stand' is the bar, every other novel has to reach. Contrary to '11/22/63', I feel a connection with a lot of the characters, King uses. He gives them space. Space to fail and learn. Space to show their real power and to grow. And funny enough, with every re-read I discover more in there. Maybe, because I try too hard to find symbols or topics which might not be there, but I don't care very much. I'm simply having a good time, walking the streets of the US between the Atlantic coast of Maine and Las Vegas, Nevada.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Meh... in the Eyes of the Dragon,
    Spoiler:
    Flagg didn't have a Nuke! Nor start over with island natives.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

I’m on the last 100 pages of my first read of this masterpiece. I won’t dare read any of the posts before I finish, laws no!, but thought I’d drop in and say hello.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by adammoro View Post
    I’m on the last 100 pages of my first read of this masterpiece. I won’t dare read any of the posts before I finish, laws no!, but thought I’d drop in and say hello.
    Well, welcome to the community!!! I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're gonna love it here!!!!

And remember.......................................... ..........................

Spoiler:
    The "Yankee" part is just pure good form!!!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Well, welcome to the community!!! I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're gonna love it here!!!!

And remember.......................................... ..........................

Spoiler:
    The "Yankee" part is just pure good form!!!! lol lol
    Thank you! Come back off that limb, I already love it!!

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you’re saying to remember. Are you just saying be sure to use spoiler tags? I’ll be sure to always.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Chatty

Ohh the emoji wasn’t converting in the Tapatalk app so I didn’t see what “catalogfriend” is. Got it now... the catalog is my friend! Now I just need to find the damn thing. Thanks again!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ohh the emoji wasn’t converting in the Tapatalk app so I didn’t see what “catalogfriend” is. Got it now... the catalog is my friend! Now I just need to find the damn thing. Thanks again!
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...lectible-Items

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...First-Editions

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-s-Short-Works

That should get you started!!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Chatty

Perfect!

Sent from phone

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Perfect!

Sent from phone

Yeah, that's what folks tell me!!! lol lol

Spoiler:
    Use it in good health. It's a truly awesome resource and there is more than what I got you started with. "Calvin's Corner" is your ticket.

Spoiler:
    Of course ur wallet is liable to take a hit!!!! Start looking there and you'll find oodles of stuff you "must have"!!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Every time I see the word "oodles" it makes my pants feel funny.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Amanda reading a post you posted 2 years ago about your Comment about Flagg, he's you forget had many different Incarnations this is how i view it each one is different from my understanding of the other. that's how i view it anyways. i love love this book and it's my Favorite book of King's. i read the Uncut years ago while in i think my teens and i don't recall how long it took me to read it. but fuck i've read it at least 10 times or so. and i will be reading it again at some point but not right now.
    in 9th Grade i finally got around to reading the Original Novel and i could actually see what was cut and what was added since i read the longer cut 1st and many times. and i didn't think the Original version was that good and that's cause i read that after i read the longer cut. i've only read that version once though and i don't plan on reading it again. I lent this book to a friend In Dec. it took her a few months to read it since she's also got kids and a grand kid as well so she had a hard time to find the time to read it. but she loved it! she loves King but the scary ones she don't like so when i give her a King book to read i make sure it's not one of those.

i gave her an extra paperback copy i had of the dead zone for example. she hasn't started that one yet though but wants to, i gave her dream catcher to read and she after i told her about the shit weasles loved it like i did. that one is more sci-fi than horror other than the shit weasles which to me are a funny as hell but stupid name.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22