Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Where do you think you belong in The Stand?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colorado

47 50.54%
  • Las Vegas

9 9.68%
  • Ingoring dream and trying to survive

12 12.90%
  • Dead (Captain Trips)

13 13.98%
  • Other (specify)

12 12.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stand - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Shh, don't tell Matt...he hates the tunnel.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I think the tunnel section is brilliantly written... freaky, freaky!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't wait to reread that one - the more you talk about it the more I think I'm moving it up on my list.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

That tunnel sucked, I would have hated to really go through it

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I think that's what makes it such a good thing... if it freaks you out enough to not want to do it... successful!

I like following the flu... how this person walks by this person who gives it to their family who gives it to this guy and so on.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Tunnel!!

**runs**

Every time we drive through it, I tell Dora "can you imagine this thing dark, full of cars and bodies?"

she gives me one of these...
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The fact that that tunnel scares you just cracks me up. It's got to be one of the least scary things in the universe.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

pfft--depends of if you were ever raped in one

kidding--I was never raped in a tunnel.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that was a real left-fielder right there.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I had a customer and it was the quickest joke I could think of...

should have kept thinking.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You are the King of Random Matt

I'll have to reread this too. I only read it once.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with O, that the flus progress was fun to follow.

It's just crazy how fast that moved

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I love how he took a second to talk about all the people that died even though they did not have the flu

Woman dragging her dead, abusive husband to the basement and the door locks behind her.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I love how he took a second to talk about all the people that died even though they did not have the flu

Woman dragging her dead, abusive husband to the basement and the door locks behind her.
    Yes, I enjoyed that as well... was that in both versions of the book?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the reform of the death penalty.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved the Stand but have only read it once - its one of those epics that you need to read several times I think. Ill put it on my reread list
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

This was one of my favorite parts of the book. When I read it, I was so wrapped up with the flu outbreak and all the people who died from it, that I totally forgot about the fact that now there were no more doctors to treat people who fell and broke a leg, no more police to protect you, no more firefighters to put out and save you from fires, all that. It was eye opening and really a section of teh book I enjoyed. I especially enjoyed the part about the paranoid woman with the gun.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I wish the super-flu would really break out in our world.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I wish the super-flu would really break out in our world.
    It will Chris. You just gotta' keep on believing man.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Dont stop believing, hold on to the feeliiiiiiingggggg...........
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't worry, Y. Pestis is a reslient little bacteria.

Gunslinger Apprentice Sai Joshua is on a distinguished road Sai Joshua's Avatar

I have to say that I really enjoyed the novel. The mini-series, which I thought was very good, probably pissed me off the least as far as the adaptation of the book to film( Shawshank and Green Mile would also join this list). I really hope that if they do make the DT, the actor who played Randall Flagg in the series will get the opportunity to replay this role. I just finished re-reading "The Talisman", so I need another book to start. I think I will make "The Stand" that book.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I would agree with you on the choice of RF, Sai Joshua

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for re-posting all that background information, RF.

I've only read the uncut version of The Stand, never the original. I figured if the revised was the version that King really meant people to read, I wouldn't bother with the one that edited down again his wishes.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I was never a big fan of James Sheridan as Randall Flagg. His entire demeanor was a little too comical, especially in the early going. It's that he was bad but for DT I'm sure they could find someone better. I had some trouble thinking of him as this evil, powerful man at times.

Besides On Writing, I hadn't read a book since I finished The Ruins in early summer. Never had the urge and On Writing was easy to read in bits while making number two. Just got my copy of The Stand and Misery back and I see them stacked. Misery, about 300 pages and The Stand at close to 1200. Well, I ended up choosing The Stand.

I read The Stand for a book report in grade 7 in about a month. All the other kids had small little novels and I bring in this book you could kill someone with. My teacher didn't think I would be able to finish it in the time alotted. Did I prove her wrong lol. I've seen the mini-series on DVD numerous times since but haven't read the book in about ten yeas. Can't wait to get to into the real outbreak. It takes a hundred pages just to show some main characters. Oh well, not as bad as the Dark Tower when it takes 4 books and 2000 pages to get the real plot rolling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast