Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Letter To My Teenaged Self

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Default Letter To My Teenaged Self

I thought this would be a cool idea as a thread.

What would YOU say to yourself as a teenager or young adult?

Please post in letter form!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Well...I have this in a poem...would it be OK to re post it here?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

To my 17 year old self.

Go on a diet.
    Drink more water.
    Don't forget to put oil in the Volvo.
    Don't hound that guy, Bill that you like. He likes you to, he just needs to see the real you.
    Don't drop out in the 9th grade, summer school will suck to do to get into the 10th grade!
    Don't start drinking, it's not really that much fun.
    Just be yourself. You are a good person.
    Hug your Mom and Dad more. They aren't going to be around forever.

Love from Your Much Older Self!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Lurking

sure poems are cool too!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey man, don't take the brown acid!

Don't sweat all the beer you drank

There will be little blue pills for when you are flaccid

Do us both a favor and go easy on the crank.

Remember... that hottie you will sleep with in 1980

Think long and hard with your upper brain

Everyone will laugh because, dude, that was no lady

Bear in mind that welding doesn't mix well with cocaine

Know that cannibalism is not considered a family activity

Don't forget that the Hoover Dam isn't there for you to climb.

Be cognizant that farmers do not appreciate your bestialic proclivity

And DON't go to a beatnik poetry reading yelling "Hell, that didn't even rhyme!"

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Don't worry, Micheal Jordan will be back and it will be awesome.

In August of 1999, don't try to pass that one car on your way to work. There's a van coming in the opposite lane.

A couple of years later, don't look down to change the CD. There's an idiot in a truck about to pull out in front of you.

Invest in companies with weird names like Google, Yahoo, Ebay and Amazon.

Bet on the 2003 Marlins, 2004 Red Sox & 2005 White Sox.

Buy that other house you look at. You can always sell it a few years later.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Dear Brad,

It's your older self. Everyone says "hi". Hope you're doing well...which is to say that I hope this letter reaches you before you start really fucking things up. To that end, I'd like to give you a few words of advice that you might benefit from. Then again, it's never a good idea to fuck around with history so this could be a mistake but screw it. I'm willing to take the risk. Please read all of this. Don't get bored and flighty and start thinking about something more fun you can do with your time.

Eat a lot more but eat clean...minimize the sugar and the other crap, keep lifting weights, keep lifting heavier and heavier. Remember that it's a road, not a destination. this isn't something you stop and come back to. You keep doing it. But if you keep setting higher goals for yourself you'll become addicted to reaching them.

Get your thyroid checked every year.

Don't start smoking dope. Sure, it's fun and all but you'll eventually come to realize that you're a better man without it. I know you think it makes you "creative" but you already are. The weed is giving with one hand and taking with the other.

Start using Rogaine now.

Don't stop swimming. It's the only sport you've ever excelled at. Just because no one you know thinks it's worthwhile doesn't mean it isn't.

Don't go to college right after high school. You aren't ready. Go to vocational school and learn a marketable trade. Live on your own a couple of years then go to college. It'll probably work out better. Tell your father that you love him and respect his opinion but he's dead wrong on this one. Maybe spend those years in a Spanish speaking country so you can learn the language...it might just end up being the only way you can.

Do NOT date that beautiful, sexy girl you'll meet at the end of 1994. Yeah, she's hot, she's charming and she's a skanky whore that will rip your heart out and laugh at you. But then, she won't be an issue if you stick with that tall beautiful woman you meet in 1991...the one that youll be too stupid to realize is completely in love with you and youll nonchalantly throw away. I could actually list a few of these but this one is the best, trust me.

1990...you'll get an interesting offer. Go ahead and try it. Fuck what other people think. You might have a great time.

in 1989 you'll have the opportunity to sleep with two girls at the same time...you knew what to do then but didn't have the guts to try. Do it this time. It might be kinda neat.

Pay attention when you drive...always.

Always stand up to bullies...always...no matter what...ESPECIALLY if it isn't you they're trying to bully. Even if your friend never even thinks to blame you for not standing up for him believe that you'll always wish you had.

There's a certain kind of man you've always wanted to be...you know damn well what I'm talking about...you can be that man now. You just have to have the balls and the resolve to be him.

Now...you can follow this advice or not. If you don't, believe me when i say that your life won't end up being sucky. You've got things going pretty good here in the future...just saying they might have been better.

Well...see ya later (like when I go look in the mirror to brush my teeth, lol...that means "laughing out loud") Good luck.

Regards,
    Brad

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello me, it's me:

!987: You graduated...easily. It was easy for you. Just as easy as it was to lay on that floor and chug that fifth of Beam...the next day wasn't so easy was it? You should have stayed in touch with that cute little redhead with the bad burns on her arms. Her mother forced the break up but you could have fought harder.
    You decided to go with that darling brunette. Don't do it man! Don't you think it's odd she will only meet you at her house or in your car for sex but never in public? She is engaged man!! You'll find out the first time she goes out with you in public...Senior Prom! It sucks man. Leave her be!
    That '79 Pontiac Sunbird you ran the hell out of; keep at it man. You had great fun in that little fucker. Just one thing. That one icy, February day as you go down that country road to Mom's house...YOU ARE ON A SHEET OF ICE, YOU FOOL , AND YOU KNOW IT WHY WERE YOU DRIVING 85 M.P.H..? YOUR BACK TIRES WERE BALD FROM POPPING THE CLUTCH...YOU GOT LUCKY, DUMBASS!
    It's 1988 now, A pivotal year for you.. Open your trunk. See those pounds of weed you are about to deliver? You will get by with it , for many years. You drive a long route to disseminate the stuff but you also meet some bad people. Stop it. Stop it now. You won't smoke forever, no matter what you swear. Towers will fall, you will do the math on all the evil ones spent to make them fall. You will then wrestle with yourself for months because you know some of it was your money. Then you will quit. Then you will wrestle with the one you love to quit The one you met in 1988.. After both of you quit, you will see your marriage was based on a mutual addiction to a weed and a white powder.
    When you beat the addiction and she does not, tensions will mount. Your beloved son will pay the price for years. You will make up stories to tell paramedics as to why your head needs stitches...your rib is cracked....your hand is broke...your thumb is broke. You see, Jon, women don't hit men with objects. You must be clumsy. Those black eyes MUST have come from roughhousing with the dogs. You see, Jon, women don't hit men with objects.
    Soon she will talk you into a lifestyle but set boundaries that make it more palatable. She will pay no mind to these rules and leave you for a man with better abs...who will kick her out 3 weeks later . Then you will have to feel the pain again when you turn her away. She will then overdose twice...thus destroying your son, then, out of desperation, she will move in with an old man two states away where her son cannot see her. You will spend well over a year alone..and counting.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Dumbass.....yeah you.....the one with the dangly earring and the cigarette.

Here's one for ya....you've got talent but you're wastin' it. Haha, bet you haven't heard that before....or maybe it's that you've heard it too many times and it has no meaning for you anymore.
    First off, gotta say, don't trust that neighbor across the street...he is bad news...but if I'm already too late on that one, sorry bro, just know that it aint your fault....he is the one who is fucked in the head. Don't think about it too much.
    Take a good look at your friends, some of them arent really your friends...more importantly, there are quite of few people that you dont even notice that would make really good friends. Oh...and that girl you really like, following her around like a little lost puppy is Soooooooooo....not attractive. Try ignoring her for awhile....this strangely seems to be more effective......hey, I don't know why either.
    So you want out of highschool huh? Don't be in such a hurry, 4 years is a blink of an eye, suck it up and play along...you might actually enjoy it. Sure you could drop out at 15, start college and have a degree by 18, but who wants to live life that fuckin' fast anyway.
    Go easy on the folks man. They're doin the best they can, and you aint no fuckin picnic. They love you. They want the best for you. You are pushing them away. Don't leave. Your just 15. Contrary to popular belief, you don't know everything....I know it was a shock to me too.
    Oh yeah....put that fuckin' cigarette out. No really! Put it out now.....it really is hard to quit later. As for the other drugs, go ahead, check em out....they are pretty cool. Just don't let them rule your life, and never drive while your drinking.

One more thing, you meet the love of your life in 1999, don't sweat it until then. Have fun with the others, but dont try to hard to hang on when it is over.
    Explore your talents....play your guitar....sing....draw....paint....write.....life is short....live it to the fullest...tell the people you love that you love them.....tell them often....laugh every chance you get.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Lurking

These are really good people! Too bad we can't really send them.....

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Dear Me

You know what, you are going to be ok

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

To me...

lighten up
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Dear Me

You know what, you are going to be ok
    I almost wanted to just write this. I've often looked back on the major moments in my life and thought about how they've lead to everything else in my life. Take away or change any one of those things and my life would be completely different. Not necessarily for the better.

Sure we had our first kid at 18 and our second 16 months later. But I got a couple of really nice tax returns those years and some nice grants that helped put me through college.

A few of the people I met in college helped my get my first job, which lead to my first car and house.

Even a major car accident I was in was sort of a blessing in disguise. We owed more on the loan than what the car was worth and the insurance ended up paying most of it off for us.

As of right now my life is going pretty good. Some things could be better but we are working on them. So I can't complain too much.

I still wouldn't mind finding a real Gray's sports almanac and giving that to my teenage self though.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Don't go to college right after high school. You aren't ready. Go to vocational school and learn a marketable trade. Live on your own a couple of years then go to college. It'll probably work out better. Tell your father that you love him and respect his opinion but he's dead wrong on this one. Maybe spend those years in a Spanish speaking country so you can learn the language...it might just end up being the only way you can.
    This. Word for word. Interesting coincidence.
    To myself I'd add: Stick to your guns on that, be a man; it's easier to go late than to go back. Plus, I would say, "Whether you are in school or not, always make time to study. If you ever get in a situation where you're not learning, it is not worth the waste of time you can't get back. But no matter how much you love pure knowledge, don't turn up your nose at getting marketable skills early. Something to sell the jerks in charge: that really is the right thing to do, the only way for a poor kid like you to reach a point where you actually can help the less fortunate."

And also --

Dear me,
    You know that song that goes "I don't care who you are, Where you're from, What you did, As long as you love me"? No? It's not out yet? Well, anyway: it's bullshit. Before you get involved with anyone, ask yourself if she loves you and also find out who she is, where she's from, what she's done, etc. ... Love might conquer all in an ideal world, but in your life the last thing you'll want is for someone you can't get along with to become the mother of your children. The best policy is to take your time or just stay single, especially if she wants you to hurry.
    Sincerely,
    Me

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    These are really good people! Too bad we can't really send them.....
    We can't?!!?

Damn...I just wasted a stamp!