Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: HOW TO: Identify First Editions and First Printings

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess they'd have to have an asbestos firestarter rebound to match their other books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    As far as the book covers being removed for a "proper library"...

It's not uncommon to hear, but I find it silly. Point is sposed to be that you have a much more uniform appearance if you have matte cloth bindings being displayed rather than dust jackets.
    But there's still is a big difference between simply removing the dustjackets (and storing them) vs. destroying them altogether.
    I agree 100%. That's just silly. Why in G-d's name would you throw them away?

My wife and I toyed with the idea of removing the jackets from a section of our library (Library) to see how it looked, but just storing the 2000 covers somewhere else would suck. Being as anal as my wife is about organization, we'd need a wide-set filing cabinet big enough to hold them all alphabetically.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Being as anal as my wife is about organization, we'd need a wide-set filing cabinet big enough to hold them all alphabetically.
    She'd fit in perfectly with us lot.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Being as anal as my wife is about organization, we'd need a wide-set filing cabinet big enough to hold them all alphabetically.
    She'd fit in perfectly with us lot.
    True.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Default How to know a first printing

If there is a topic about this somewhere, I'm sorry. I couldn't find it. Please point me to it. Otherwise:
    I know how to recognize a first edition but how in the world can I tell what print run it is? For example, there were... what... two print runs of "The Gunslinger" in first edition. How am I supposed to know if a book I'm looking at was First printing? I can't find anything on any of my first editions which would indicate what print run it is. Another example: Joe Hill had a few printings of "Horns". I bought it in first edition the day it came out (couldn't help myself) but how can I tell if it's the first print?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Mail the books to me. I'll mail you back a note telling you whether they were first editions.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

lol. I can tell a first edition. I can't tell a first, second, third, whatever print. For example I have a first edition of The Drawing of the Three. How can I know if this is the first print. It clearly says "First Edition" on the copyright page but I can't see anything that would indicate what print it is. Same with "Horns" by Joe Hill and many others that I have.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Usually a modern first printing will have a full number line like 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 or something like that on the copyright page. The lowest number is the printing, so if you are missing a 1, then it is a second printing, etc. For The Gunslinger books from Grant, it says Second Edition or Third Edition instead of the number line. You can also check out the guide to First Editions at stephenking.com to get more info on his books. Unless I"m not understanding your question correctly...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I was just kidding about sending me your books.

Really most of the time it only matters if it's a 1st/1st imo. Somewhere there is a page that lists the points for identifying firsts. Usually if the number line is incomplete/doesn't include a 1 then it's a later printing. As for The Drawing of the Three there was only one printing of each of the Grant editions so if it's a Grant then it's a first printing as far as I know.

If you rescue me

Ah, don't worry Brice. I was able to tell by the tone of your text that you were joking.
    In my copy of "Horns", it says "First Edition" on the copyright page but the number line is all fucked up. here:
    10 11 12 13 14 OV/RRD 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    I've never seen something like that before.
    In Justin Cronin's "The Passage" it says "First Edition" on the title page too but again, the number line is a little fucked up. here:
    2 4 6 8 9 7 5 3 1
    Doesn't it normally go up to ten?
    Then "Under the Dome" says "First Scribner Hardcover Edition November 2010" and the number line is normal starting from 1 and rising to 9 in odd numbers then 10 and going down to 2 in even numbers. But weren't there like 5 or 6 printings of the first edition of Under the Dome? I don't ask this question because I'm worried about these book's values but because people keep saying things like "This is a first edition third printing" or some other crap like that and the copyright page says "First Edition" and then has a normal number line. I just don't see where they are getting this extra information. Am I making any sense at all.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As long as the number line has a "1" in it, it's a first printing, no matter how the numbers themselves are arranged.

John

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpryan View Post
    Ah, don't worry Brice. I was able to tell by the tone of your text that you were joking.
    Well, I was joking...unless you start mailing boxes of your books. Then I was completely serious.

If you rescue me

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hey All -

There's a thread on First Printings in the Collecting Tutorials thread.

Click Here

We'll merge this one soon.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    As long as the number line has a "1" in it, it's a first printing, no matter how the numbers themselves are arranged.

John
    Except for Random House books, which omit the "1" for first editions (e.g. Black House)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What about the canadian books?
    I have a (french) canadian book, on which there is no information.

The back cover, however have a wee line just over the ISBN and the barcode.
    It includes :
    61 2003 4

Any idea what that means or if that could help to know if it is a first printing or not?
    Cell was published in 2006. so 2003 doesnt seem to mean anything.
    4 could maybe be the print (since the person recently bought in on amazon)

I guess that i'll never know...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3