Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Identify First Editions and First Printings

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Default HOW TO: Identify First Editions and First Printings

There have been a few short discussions here and there regarding certain first editions - books and/or dustjackets. This purpose of this thread is to discuss identifying first editions and/or first printings of books and their related dustjackets.

This should fill in the holes for some collectors and help to educate people just beginning, or thinking about starting, their own collections. Therefore please discuss any and all SK books in this regard, ask questions, etc.

Happy collecting!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Useful chart

I created the following guide a few years ago
    http://www.marketworks.com/storefron...=30007&type=e2
    Last edited by Hutch; 01-16-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i've used that a lot, didn't know it was yours. thanks for all the help

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i've used it, too.

so...now i've confirmed that i have firsts of IT, the tommyknockers and 4 past midnight...all three were picked up at a thrift store for less than 7$ total.

this made my night.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That's great information, Hutch. Thanks for sharing!

And congrats to you, SJ, on your good buys.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    I created the following guide a few years ago

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotoffthepress/id1.html
    That's some great work Hutch, its in an .html format which means I may be able to incorporate it onto the site somehow.

Would you mind if I tried that?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hutch, that's great! Thanks for sharing.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent list!! I have used this many times--I didn't know it was Hutch's!

Other notables:

Colorado Kid was first released in paperback, but the first hardcover (prior to the limited editions) was a Large Print Edition.

Storm of the Century has a hardcover, quarter cloth, issued by BOMC

I'm sure there are other unique editions out there.

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    Excellent list!! I have used this many times--I didn't know it was Hutch's!

Other notables:

Colorado Kid was first released in paperback, but the first hardcover (prior to the limited editions) was a Large Print Edition.

Storm of the Century has a hardcover, quarter cloth, issued by BOMC

I'm sure there are other unique editions out there.
    There's also a way to find out if you have a first edition paperback of Colorado Kid. Have a look at this thread.
    http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=58

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very helpful!

John

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Odd I would be asking this question when I only have about 4 UK books to go. But has anyone done a "How to identify a first UK Edition?" before. I've never seen one. Do they even go into second printings? heck honestly I don't know. But I would be interested.
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice natehorning is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Odd I would be asking this question when I only have about 4 UK books to go. But has anyone done a "How to identify a first UK Edition?" before. I've never seen one. Do they even go into second printings? heck honestly I don't know. But I would be interested.
    Didn't Ceri have one on the skfakes website? If so, maybe he'd be willing to transfer it here as that sight is no longer working.

Nate

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

This site has a number of pictures of the first editions, both US and UK, of many of King's books, including proofs. He also includes what it says on the copyright page of the editions. This may help some.

King Books Pages

John

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Here is the file that was on SKFakes...

How to identify UK 1st Editions

http://www.filefactory.com/file/288d29/

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally got it after going through all the gyrations required by the File Factory site. If anyone needs a copy, it's a Word file, five pages. Let me know and I'll email you a copy.

(Let me know your email address. I can't figure out how to attach a file to the email response here on the site.)

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    There's also a way to find out if you have a first edition paperback of Colorado Kid. Have a look at this thread.
    http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=58
    All copies of Colorado Kid are first printings. The run was so large, Charles Ardai told me he doubted there'd ever be another. He said he wished there would be so he'd get a chance to fix that running header gaffe.

By the way -- feel free to grab whatever you want from my guide to identifying first editions from the FAQ area at King's web site.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I will have to check with Ceri, to see if he minds if we post it all, but the first part of the sheet looks like this:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    By the way -- feel free to grab whatever you want from my guide to identifying first editions from the FAQ area at King's web site.
    Thanks Bev. I just might. Untill someone with more skills than I did it, it would look like the first page of Ceri's UK First list. I end up chopping the document into numerous Jpeg images.

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I will have to check with Ceri, to see if he minds if we post it all, but the first part of the sheet looks like this:

I've absolutely no objection - get it up there guys :-)

I had a lot of help with this - a couple of SKFakes members worked on it and Hutch acted as editor.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everyone for pointing in the right direction and Ceri for the information. That is very helpful!
    Geoff

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazing stuff
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Yeah, but is it updated?
    not sure..

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It's a couple of books out of date, but there's not much to dither over concerning the recent Scribner books -- all the rules are the same. I'm updating it next month when Duma Key comes out.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thats brilliant!

Would there be a way to separate it in 2 threads? one US & one UK?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

The updated list (through Just After Sunset) is up on King's web site. It only deals with US editions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast