Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 462 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my "rules":

When in doubt, don't buy it!

John

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    I wanted to go back to this one:

Considering it's in the traditional blue ink, and has a date, would this be harder to forge??? I'm not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but are we 100% sure they are frauds? All of them???

I know Hutch (and skfakes) has looked at some of them already and trust them!

I still wouldn't buy a flatsigned unless I knew whom I was buying it from and they had first-hand knowledge of the signing.

This guy's got more of them coming too. I bet a lot of them wind up swimming the eBay market (from different sellers) for a long time.
    It just looks to "condensed" for King. I know he's not a sprawler, but it's all squunchy!!!
    the above reads wrong to me.... I do not trust them !
    Hutch, when I said "trust them", I meant I trust "you" (you, skfakes, collectors here, etc), not the eBay seller. Sorry!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    I wanted to go back to this one:

Considering it's in the traditional blue ink, and has a date, would this be harder to forge??? I'm not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but are we 100% sure they are frauds? All of them???

I know Hutch (and skfakes) has looked at some of them already and trust them!

I still wouldn't buy a flatsigned unless I knew whom I was buying it from and they had first-hand knowledge of the signing.

This guy's got more of them coming too. I bet a lot of them wind up swimming the eBay market (from different sellers) for a long time.
    It just looks to "condensed" for King. I know he's not a sprawler, but it's all squunchy!!!
    the above reads wrong to me.... I do not trust them !
    Hutch, when I said "trust them", I meant I trust "you" (you, skfakes, collectors here, etc), not the eBay seller. Sorry!!!

I knew what you meant when I originally read the post. I just wanted everyone to clearly understand that I do not endorse that seller's signed Stephen King items.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh! I read that wrong, and therefore couldn't believe what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying, Bill.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

This following Ebay saga doesn't concern forgeries, but it falls under the category of Ebay BS for me and I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this seller. The ebay name is Mountmedia - their business name is Redline Distribution.

I purchased a copy of the DT Concordance from them on the 26th September. I paid immediately and had also emailed prior to buying to inquire about UK postage and wasn't informed that the delivery would take any longer than the specified time of "upto 10 working days".

I received the book today! And I believe I only received it because I filed a complaint with paypal. I emailed the seller initially after 2 weeks and received no reply. I emailed again and was told the book was "on order" - I was a little pissed off with that as there was no indication at the time of sale that they didn't actually posess the book When it arrived today, from the postage it bizarrely looks as if its gone from Belgium to the US then on to me in the UK!?

Not to make this any more long winded, but when they replied to my next email I had two simultaineously - one said "Your book has been dispatched today" (this was on the 25th October) and the other said "Sorry, we will refund you". All in all a total shambles...and from an established seller too

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Was there any way to figure out when they actually posted the book? Often there is an indication (post stamp, etc.) on the package. I've had books from the UK sent to me, airmail, that took more than a month, while others came as quickly as four days. It all depends on the various post offices.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hand signed index card.
    I am not an expert, but I certainly wouldn't want this signature.

King, Paul Newman (Hey Wiz see this?), William S. Cohen
    Bad picture, worse King signature.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nor would I. At least they offer a guarantee for 100% peace of mind via their own Certificate of Authenticity!

John

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Oh! I read that wrong, and therefore couldn't believe what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying, Bill.
    Thanks. I should go back and edit (clarify) my original post, but that would make the trailing messages confusing. Suffice to say that I 100% trust the people here. I always will.

Darkthoughts, I've had one or two bad dealings where books were really late (or never sent). It sucks and it's great that we can warn people here.

RF, I'm with you. Those sigs are pretty bad!!! And the books have bids!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Was there any way to figure out when they actually posted the book? Often there is an indication (post stamp, etc.) on the package. I've had books from the UK sent to me, airmail, that took more than a month, while others came as quickly as four days. It all depends on the various post offices.

John
    Thanks John - I did check for a date stamp, but didn't see one. However, the seller was quite upfront (and unconcerned) about the fact that he hadn't actually dispatched my item until a month after I'd paid for it

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Thanks John - I did check for a date stamp, but didn't see one. However, the seller was quite upfront (and unconcerned) about the fact that he hadn't actually dispatched my item until a month after I'd paid for it
    That sucks!

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

E-bay now allows you to rate several factors of the sale-anonymously, separate from a simple positive, neutral or negative feedback. One of those factors is speed of shipping from the seller. Even if you give a positive (why would you?), you can give the lowest rating for speed of shipping.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Lisa, thanks for the heads up on that seller. If they're selling stuff they don't actually have in their possession, they should make that clear upfront. September 26th to November 10th is way too long. If they had shipped it on a timely basis I'm sure they would have let you know and tried to help track the package. Waiting a month to ship is totally unacceptable.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats almost word for word what I said to them. I shall leave negative feedback and also told them that I'd spread the word about my experience

I think some people are put off leaving negative feedback because they don't wish to receive it in a backlash - Ebay should do more to prevent this sort of thing, because I think so many crappy sellers are getting away with it for this reason.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, ebay really needs to do more. It wouldn't even be difficult to make the feedback system more fair.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Thats almost word for word what I said to them. I shall leave negative feedback and also told them that I'd spread the word about my experience

I think some people are put off leaving negative feedback because they don't wish to receive it in a backlash - Ebay should do more to prevent this sort of thing, because I think so many crappy sellers are getting away with it for this reason.
    The fear of negative feedback backlash is the truth. I'm not ashamed to say the following:

I'm guilty of leaving excellent feedback when I should have left negative.

Face it....how hard do you look at auctions that have 97 or less rating? You leave a negative, I can guarantee you, even if you paid within five minutes of auction closing, you will get a negative in return. I would rather keep my rating high and never buy from the person again.

I've thought long and hard about a new way to be rated. Just can't think of anything.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

If I'm the buyer, I usually don't leave feedback until it's been left for me...

As a seller, I leave it upon payment, and after that I don't really care what happens...

If you've paid for an item, and the seller doesn't leave feedback right away, what are they waiting for? I don't think you owe them feedback first.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post

I've thought long and hard about a new way to be rated. Just can't think of anything.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    It's not very likely to ever happen, but couldn't ebay themselves easily solve the problem by

1. Making it so you couldn't see feedback at all until both parties had submitted feedback

and

2. Making no feedback after a certain amount of time automatically negative feedback

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I personally don't leave negative feedback. I will not post feedback at all rather than leave negative. I also don't post feedback for the seller until he has left feedback for me. If they want feedback, they must leave it first. I point this out when I pay for the item. Normally the seller will leave feedback for me after I notify them that I have received the item and remind them that as soon as they post for me, I'll post for them. There are always a number of exceptions that never post for me. They don't get anything from me then.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Strictly from a profit standpoint it doesn't behoove E-bay to change the feedback system, and as such, unless Google or some unknown gives them legimate competition I would be suprised if they changed much.
    If you primarily or exclusively buy and have built a a little positive feedback, I say neg every time it's deserved.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

And whadda ya know...I left neg feedback and the cheeky bastard did the same! Ah, well forewarned is forearmed!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Make sure you reply to the neg feedback with the briefest yet still clear response that it was retaliation for your justified negative on them.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, I did. I also replied to the comment they left for my original feedback on their own feedback page.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This kind of shit sucks, you don't get your item until late...leave some bad feedback and they screw you

I like John's idea and I'm going to do it from here on, they leave it first or no one does.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

See, I understand the reasons behind it, but I don't want to do that. My feedback is perfect so far, but I won't let the fact that someone has a couple bad feedbacks on an otherwise good record bother me. I'll probably get burned for it eventually because some people are just assholes, but my plan is just to base any feedback good or bad on the merits of the transaction. If it goes well they get good feedback. If it goes bad they get bad feedback and if they choose to retaliate so be it.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 462 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast