Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 305 of 462 FirstFirst ... 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 355 405 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,625 of 11535

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, what do you think of this signature?

"God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like it at all.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bad.

John

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, guys, that's what I thought. The crook in the loop kind of gives it away, huh?

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello all,

A bit of information on this book. This is a First Edition Gunslinger with a near fine dust jacket, clean boards and a tight spine. It is a very good example of this book, with one exception. It was purchased by a friend of mine in Japan, in late 2003, from Tim Miller of Flatsigned.com I was not aware of her decision to purchase this or I would have strongly advised her against it. I am not sure if Tim is a member of this board, but he is scum, and should be in jail. I am only glad that my friend did not live long enough to know that there are unscrupulous sellers out there, or it would have broken her heart. Her collection notes were very detailed, and in the comment line for this item she wrote that the original website picture was different from the current copy. All attempts to return were unanswered.

I am 100% positive that the signature is fake, as I have examined it closely with a 7x magnifier to spot at least 12 hesitations that Stephen's signature/writing does not contain. You are all welcome to voice your opinions, but that is not why I am showing you this today. As the book has been left to me, there is no way I would include this in my collection, nor would I ever try to sell it as is with the indication that I am not sure about the signature. Everything in my collection is 100% authentic. Tim's reputation all but confirms that he peddles in garbage, and is a bottom dweller.

That being said, the book is rare and as it is 1 of 10,000, it should have a better fate than at the back of my fireplace. I would like your opinions on what you would do, if the situation was reversed. Would you cover it with a book plate? Cross out the inscription with a marker? Remarque the entire page to erase the offending words? Acetone does not work as it is over 10 years old and was a roller-ball. The ink is permanent. If this was a Revival, or something with a 1,000,000 print run, I wouldn't be having this dilemma. That would be kindling during this cold winter now. The Gunslinger is one of my favorite stories and I love Michael's art. I just can't do that.

That is what I had to say. Any comments, opinions, or matches would be appreciated.

Happy New Year everyone.
    Take care.
    Gerald

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

You bring up an interesting question. Actually, the book is made virtually worthless because of the phony signature (and it's not a very good fake, either). As you said, there is no way to erase it--it will always be there. A shame, but it would serve only as a reading copy to me.

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That is indeed a sad story. I share your reluctance, but in reality there is nothing to be done except, to keep it as a constant reminder to all. God Damn shame!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, 100% forged. But you knew that.

I wonder (if you have a weak stomach, don't read this) what if you place a strip of packing tape over inscription and signature, let sit for a few minutes, slowly pull the tape off. Would the signature come off with a thin layer of the paper?

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the remarque idea.

If you can get Micheal to do it for you.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

Good Idea. Remarqued by Micheal Whelan and have it auctioned for Haven Foundation.

What do you think Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I like the remarque idea.

If you can get Micheal to do it for you.
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually wrote to Michael already, as I have purchased art from him in the past. I told him I would donate it to a charity auction, but I never heard back from him or Audrey. I hope it's just the holidays, and maybe he will get back to me in the New Year. If he would oblige me, I would be more than happy to donate it.

PS: Mulleins, tape would not work, nor would 220 grade sand paper, nor a diamond polisher. Roller-ball ink is not raised so there is no 'edge' to erase, sort of speak. It 'bleeds' onto the surface, like a fountain pen. If it was sharpie, or a biro, that would be a different story. I have tried all different attempts to erase the filth.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

That is a sad thing - I recently saw a 1/1 Salem's Lot on ebay with a fake signature as well. Terrible that they ruin scarce books that way. Perhaps David @ Betts can help - he and Mr. Whelan converse frequently. Who knows if a cover-up remarque would even be possible.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think if there's a creative way to salvage the book, that would be best. As you say, being a Gunslinger, the book shouldn't suffer because of the forgery. If there's a way to effectively mask or hide the writing under a Remarque, perhaps that's the best solution. I'd prefer that over a bookplate.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that a remarque is the only way to salvage this. It would be possible to cover it up if you utilize both sides of the pages (like "The Slow Mutants"). I would prefer that Michael did the remarque because he did the illustrations inside. I could ask other King artists would they help out, as I am sure they would, but because they are not associated with this edition, it would not be as meaningful. A book plate is of no use either as you say, because you are only covering something that is obviously underneath. I am going back to L.A. in the new year and I will be speaking with a tattoo artist friend of mine and see if she has any ideas or equipment that could help me.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that it would be best if Michael did the Remarque for the reasons stated. Just a matter of getting him on board which may be challenging. I don't know. Keep us posted on new developments.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

If I hear from Michael, I will let you know. Either way, it won't be destroyed, but it can never be offered for sale as is. I would never have my name associated with a fake. I will figure something out.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The only way to salvage this book is to get Stephen King to write below it:

"The above signature is a fake. This one is real." "Stephen King".

I bet he would do it at the correct event.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    The only way to salvage this book is to get Stephen King to write below it:

"The above signature is a fake. This one is real." "Stephen King".

I bet he would do it at the correct event.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Easiest solution is a King signed bookplate. A professional bookbinder could remove the page. The same page from a damaged Gunslinger could be removed and inserted into your nice copy.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    Hello all,

A bit of information on this book. This is a First Edition Gunslinger with a near fine dust jacket, clean boards and a tight spine. It is a very good example of this book, with one exception. It was purchased by a friend of mine in Japan, in late 2003, from Tim Miller of Flatsigned.com I was not aware of her decision to purchase this or I would have strongly advised her against it. I am not sure if Tim is a member of this board, but he is scum, and should be in jail. I am only glad that my friend did not live long enough to know that there are unscrupulous sellers out there, or it would have broken her heart. Her collection notes were very detailed, and in the comment line for this item she wrote that the original website picture was different from the current copy. All attempts to return were unanswered.

I am 100% positive that the signature is fake, as I have examined it closely with a 7x magnifier to spot at least 12 hesitations that Stephen's signature/writing does not contain. You are all welcome to voice your opinions, but that is not why I am showing you this today. As the book has been left to me, there is no way I would include this in my collection, nor would I ever try to sell it as is with the indication that I am not sure about the signature. Everything in my collection is 100% authentic. Tim's reputation all but confirms that he peddles in garbage, and is a bottom dweller.

That being said, the book is rare and as it is 1 of 10,000, it should have a better fate than at the back of my fireplace. I would like your opinions on what you would do, if the situation was reversed. Would you cover it with a book plate? Cross out the inscription with a marker? Remarque the entire page to erase the offending words? Acetone does not work as it is over 10 years old and was a roller-ball. The ink is permanent. If this was a Revival, or something with a 1,000,000 print run, I wouldn't be having this dilemma. That would be kindling during this cold winter now. The Gunslinger is one of my favorite stories and I love Michael's art. I just can't do that.

That is what I had to say. Any comments, opinions, or matches would be appreciated.

Happy New Year everyone.
    Take care.
    Gerald

Add the tag line after Stephen King ...

Best Wishes from

Stephen King's forgerer

Stephen King's doppelganger

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for all your suggestions. I like the 'real' inscription from Stephen. I am going to write to Marsha in Stephen's office and see if that is something he would be willing to do, if I agree to donate it to charity. Also, the page removal is a good idea if I can find a damaged Gunslinger cheap. I will just look for an eBay listing as "Slightly worn..." That will probably mean beyond hope. If I get my Christmas wish from Santa, maybe Tim Miller can agree to write 'forgerer' in the same shaky handwriting style to make this complete.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    If I get my Christmas wish from Santa, maybe Tim Miller can agree to write 'forgerer' in the same shaky handwriting style to make this complete.
    LOL! He'd charge you for that as well, no doubt!

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe that is actually King's sig...from the FUTURE! Just write in the date 2054.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Maybe that is actually King's sig...from the FUTURE! Just write in the date 2054.
    Touché . There are other worlds than these.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

One of our most watched forgers has returned

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-GIRL-WHO...item1c4beb287f

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

+ Reply to Thread
Page 305 of 462 FirstFirst ... 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 355 405 ... LastLast