Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 462 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Good to know....

Thanks, guys.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    I think it would be awesome to get the mega collectors together in a room and learn the trade secrets of "How to tell a real King signature from a fake". Pressure points, what makes it fake, etc.
    I think you pretty much figured it out...Look at the s/l's and if it doesn't come very, very close to matching up with one of them, it's probably a fake...if a signature looks like a 1979 style signature in a copy of Buick 8, then it's a fake....If you even have a whisper of a doubt, it's probably a fake - or as good as one, since doubt is as bad as being certain.

His signature is very consistent within the era it was signed, so the s/l's are the best bet for comparison. As far as pressure points and things like that, you can only see that when you have the signature right up close, which means you probably bought it and it's too late to complain...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Anyone think it might have to keep a database of BS Ebay Seller IDs to help potential buyers out? Kind of like skfakes used to do before it flipped to a membership only site?
    I think we could.

Perhaps a list of any UserID from ebay known to have tried to pass a fake?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think SKfakes found that publicly listed people and auctions that were considered a fraud was more trouble than it was worth.
    In addition, he had a panel of experts who gave their professional opinion on the sigs.
    However, if the Directors of this site are willing to put up with the issues that arise, I am sure members would be willing to help point out frauds.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As for what the experts on skfakes say about the "signed" Salem's Lot Illustrated, both carlosdetweiller and hutch agree it's a fake.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks John. I am no expert, but IMO it was questionable, and that's why it was in the Ebay BS thread.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Salem's Lot Illustrated
    Not sure on the signature.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=018

The experts have called out renaissance_auctions to:

Let's Play Ebay BS Game.

renaissance-auctions come on down

the experts are thinking YES we have an answer.

The experts feel your trying to slip a buyer the so your Ebay BS meter is set to 10...-1 (for the neat calligraphy fake signature) BS meter 9.

Stay tuned for more "Let's Play Ebay BS Game"

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd say real

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default it's a shame

it's a shame someone ruined a perfectly good book with this signature

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carrie-1st-Editi...QQcmdZViewItem

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think SKfakes found that publicly listed people and auctions that were considered a fraud was more trouble than it was worth.
    In addition, he had a panel of experts who gave their professional opinion on the sigs.
    However, if the Directors of this site are willing to put up with the issues that arise, I am sure members would be willing to help point out frauds.
    Actually I was hoping you would deal with the issues.

But seriously, I believe it could cause a few problems so maybe we can get together sometime and discuss weather or not its a service this site could effectively provide.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm FAR from being an expert, but I'd agree. That is just horrible.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Hutch:

We have a new contestant in Let's Play Ebay BS:

Seller tajandjamaica COME ON DOWN:

The seller DESTROYED an awesome book. One I'm looking for

The Ebay BS Meter on this one is beyond 10.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    it's a shame someone ruined a perfectly good book with this signature

Agreed. I've never seen that "Compliments of Doubleday" indication either. Too bad about the signature.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The "signed" Carrie may qualify for the Spinal Tap 11:

"It's one louder."

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Actually I was hoping you would deal with the issues.

But seriously, I believe it could cause a few problems so maybe we can get together sometime and discuss weather or not its a service this site could effectively provide.

Actullay, for now I'm quite content with the "BS" meter. I don't think we need a comprehensive list of sellers or items.
    We just call them as we see them.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That sounds great to me.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Gee why didn't the guy not try and get so greedy and just sell it as a First Ed Carrie - probably woudl have made off better!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Hutch:

We don't know if the current seller is the one that signed the book.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Thank you Hutch:

We don't know if the current seller is the one that signed the book.
    VERY TRUE Hutch. Very true...

OK. The seller has placed a DESTROYED copy of an awesome book on Ebay.

still makes me sad.

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Hutch:

We don't know if the current seller is the one that signed the book. Heck, there is a chance that it was signed by the author and that it's simply not a very good example of his signature.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The poor seller is the victim in all this. I blame Steve for not signing the book in a manner in which we could all believe.

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

OK....Check out this auction. This person is trying to fool people AGAIN. Look at the response to my question at the bottom of the Ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280170418212

Take it or leave it, they say........LEAVE IT.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sig looks phony to me - and all you have to do is read between the linesof the sellers response. Yep I'd LEAVE IT to! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I love the comment.

You might as well say "technically, there is no way to tell so yes...its a fake"

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's interesting that some sellers try to obfuscate the issue by having a 2,000 word addendum to the auction description.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 462 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast