Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 462 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

I'm in.
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Done.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I notified.
    I notified that one... but I don't know if it's enough time due to the short length of the auction.

How about this one as our test? Right now it has 6 days and 15 hours left
    http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIG...QQcmdZViewItem

I've reported it ...have you?
    Only eight members reporting thus far. I was hoping for a much higher level of participation.
    Make that Nine
    Well guys, I was going to join you on reporting this, but in the listing itself it says
    This is a wonderful STEPHEN KING matted and framed autograph display. It is much clearer than the image may suggest. The signature is a very good one, nice and clean. It's an excellent reproduction of the original from my personal collection.
    Why are we reporting this then? Anyone who purchases anything on EBAY should be smart enough to read the complete listing first. I just don't think it's right this guy is gonna get nailed by us for selling what he clearly is stating to be a reproduction, unless that itself is illegal, which I don't think it is.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    I notified.
    I notified that one... but I don't know if it's enough time due to the short length of the auction.

Only eight members reporting thus far. I was hoping for a much higher level of participation.
    Make that Nine
    Well guys, I was going to join you on reporting this, but in the listing itself it says
    This is a wonderful STEPHEN KING matted and framed autograph display. It is much clearer than the image may suggest. The signature is a very good one, nice and clean. It's an excellent reproduction of the original from my personal collection.
    Why are we reporting this then? Anyone who purchases anything on EBAY should be smart enough to read the complete listing first. I just don't think it's right this guy is gonna get nailed by us for selling what he clearly is stating to be a reproduction, unless that itself is illegal, which I don't think it is.
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell a reproduction of someone's signature without their authorization Bruno.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I notified.

Make that Nine
    I saw that but thought it was in reference to the photograph. If there is confusion we'll have to try this again with a better item and at least a 7 day auction.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I notified.

Make that Nine
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell a reproduction of someone's signature without their authorization Bruno.
    It's not illegal...it might be a copyright infringement if King wanted to complain, but it's certainly not a crime...anyone stupid enough to bid on this auction deserves what they get.

Country
    Country Flag

Default start again

I've reported this one...have you?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Ins...QQcmdZViewItem

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gee, you mean that's not real?

Heh, I reported it as well...
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have verified that this is indeed a First Edition, First Printing thru the official Stephen King Website at www.StephenKing.com . It utilizes the numberline on the copyright page to verify this fact. The numberline on this book is 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2.
    Sure, it may be a first but it says nothing about the signature.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have reported it.
    Next!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Done.

John

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And I thought that was such a good deal...heh heh...Reported!

I still think we need a list of Fraud sellers so we can refer too!
    Last edited by Chooch; 03-18-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add info
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Gunslinger Apprentice artan is on a distinguished road artan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you Chooch...

Reported, too!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post

That might be problematic. Ceri "Calla_wolf" ran a site called SKFakes for a number of years. I'll let him describe the difficulties if he is so inclined. But basically you would have an evolving and constantly changing list as new eBay sellers (or old sellers with new eBay ID's) emerged. Putting someone on the list can sometimes make them angry and litigious. Someone would need to keep it updated on a nearly daily basis and then be open for potential threats of lawsuits. Personally I would want no part of it.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Done

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

That might be problematic. Ceri "Calla_wolf" ran a site called SKFakes for a number of years. I'll let him describe the difficulties if he is so inclined. But basically you would have an evolving and constantly changing list as new eBay sellers (or old sellers with new eBay ID's) emerged. Putting someone on the list can sometimes make them angry and litigious. Someone would need to keep it updated on a nearly daily basis and then be open for potential threats of lawsuits. Personally I would want no part of it.
    I agree mostly, however, we are inclined to throw those names around on the site. And a fake is a fake I dont care how you dice it. I can understand the necessiaty for keeping it updated and being problematic but joe blow on Ebay needs to have their feet held to the fire for taking advantage of unsuspecting people dont you think?

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I agree mostly, however, we are inclined to throw those names around on the site. And a fake is a fake I dont care how you dice it. I can understand the necessiaty for keeping it updated and being problematic but joe blow on Ebay needs to have their feet held to the fire for taking advantage of unsuspecting people dont you think?
    Yeah, the lawsuit threat is not worth worrying about...theoretically, someone would have to prove the item is REAL before they can sue, so it's not something that could actually be done, since it would be a fake item...it's just empty threats...

However...actually maintaining a site like Calla did takes a lot of time and effort...and for what? So some goofball that doesn't do his research gets burned on a bad auction? And, you'd still have to put up with threats, empty or not...

Someone like Hutch or Stu actually has a bone to pick, since they are trying to sell signed items as more of a business, and they lose money when bad items drives prices down...but beyond reporting fake items to ebay, and mentioining names on this site, I'm not sure what else there is to do about it. Yes, hold their feet to fire, but for most of us, this is just a hobby...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Yeah, the lawsuit threat is not worth worrying about...theoretically, someone would have to prove the item is REAL before they can sue, so it's not something that could actually be done, since it would be a fake item...it's just empty threats...

However...actually maintaining a site like Calla did takes a lot of time and effort...and for what? So some goofball that doesn't do his research gets burned on a bad auction? And, you'd still have to put up with threats, empty or not...

Someone like Hutch or Stu actually has a bone to pick, since they are trying to sell signed items as more of a business, and they lose money when bad items drives prices down...but beyond reporting fake items to ebay, and mentioining names on this site, I'm not sure what else there is to do about it. Yes, hold their feet to fire, but for most of us, this is just a hobby...
    Yes indeed, very true...hobbie (as expensive as it can be) none the less

Country
    Country Flag

Yes indeed, very true...hobbie (as expensive as it can be) none the less
    It not only drives value down for those of us selling. It drives the value down for anyone who has signed books in their collection.

Yes, it clearly - and annoyingly - drives down the value across the board...which is why I stay away from signed trades.

As long as you combine Ebay's anonymity with thieves and with morons, there will always be a problem. We have very limited recourse.

Like I said, I'm all for reporting people to ebay...at least it's something proactive we can do...but to ask somebody to maintain a 'fakes' site like Calla did is asking a lot. I collect lots of signed books; King happens to be the only author where a lot of fake sigs float around.

It sucks...if there was some sort of magic bullet to fix it, that would be great.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

King happens to be the only author where a lot of fake sigs float around.
    J.K.Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, has lots of fakes floating around out there too. I'd NEVER buy one of hers from eBay.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    King happens to be the only author where a lot of fake sigs float around.
    J.K.Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, has lots of fakes floating around out there too. I'd NEVER buy one of hers from eBay.

John
    I think there are LOTS of fake sigs on eBay involving LOTS of authors. I'm pretty familiar with King's sig so I feel like I can do pretty well separating real from fake on my own. But signed books from other authors I collect really worry me on eBay. Thomas Harris in particular. That is one I would buy ONLY from a reputable dealer. I just don't have the experience for any other author.

I should have clarified....King is the only author who I collect where there are lots of fake sigs floating around...

Yeah, J.K. Rowling is another one you can't trust...her REAL signature is so bad, I wouldn't care if I knew it was real. Hunter Thompson is a bad one, too. But he has a couple s/l's.

Most books I try hard to get are signed by the author in front of me (or sent to them), and they aren't of any significant monetary value anyway. I have all the presidential candidates, for example, but they're all personalized to me, so it's not like I'm selling them.

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

done

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I should have clarified....King is the only author who I collect where there are lots of fake sigs floating around...
    As we all know now, Joe Hill has a ridiculous amount of fake sigs on eBay. It’s sad.
    Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 462 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast