Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 462 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 11534

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Sooooo, that would make an out-of-series volume more rare than an lettered copy.
    Rarer yes, but no market for it, so its worth less.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's kinda like finding a '65 Shelby that was accidently made without the side view mirror. You know it was made and sold like this, but that doesn't change it from anything besides a mistake.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by willie3 View Post
    I like how this bidder, k***r, bids to find the high bid amount then retracts his bid.
    13 bid retractions in the last 30 days, 2 on the Stand S/L, 1 yesterday & 1 today.
    Talk about BS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Karl
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    Maybe he needs a keyboard with bigger number keys so he stops entering the wrong amount each time. I could see how once might be an honest mistake but to do it 13 times in 30 days, come on!!!
    21 bid retractions over the past six months, 12 within the last 30 days.

k***r (148 )

I'm surprised that eBay doesn't boot this person off the system. I wonder if they've been reprimanded.

(I don't read the small print in eBay's policies, I just agree to them.)

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Sooooo, that would make an out-of-series volume more rare than an lettered copy.
    Rarer yes, but no market for it, so its worth less.
    But a dream for the unscrupulous dealer. How easy it would be to pop a " 1 " or an " A " into that blank space. Or even " Author's Copy " or " Artist's Copy "

You get the idea

Not only do I say it could be done, I'm willing to bet it HAS been done.
    Calla Wolf

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Do lettered copies of the stand have that same page, or do they say "This is letter ____"
    Sloth Love Chunk

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    But a dream for the unscrupulous dealer. How easy it would be to pop a " 1 " or an " A " into that blank space. Or even " Author's Copy " or " Artist's Copy "

You get the idea

There is a well known forgery of this that Barry R Levin has been trying to sell for years...

"The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition. New York: Doubleday, 1990. First edition thus, FORGED LETTERED STATE. Signed by King and Bernie Wrightson, the book's illustrator. This book was originally limited to 52 LETTERED copies and 1,250 NUMBERED copies. With about 20 out-of-series (unlettered and unnumbered) copies produced to provide back-up in case of damage to in-series copies. This copy was one of the rare (20 or less) out-of-series back-up copies to which someone added the letters "AP" to the limitation page, in an attempt to make this copy look like one of the 52 "LETTERED" copies. The forger did not know that the lettered copies had been marked "A" to "Z" and "AA" to "ZZ". No "AP" copy was ever produced. What we have here is an authentic limited edition, with authentic autographs, but which is a FORGED "LETTERED" state (or an authentic but altered rare out-of-series copy)."

Country
    Country Flag

Do lettered copies of the stand have that same page, or do they say "This is letter ____"
    Exactly the same page.

My Mood
    Buzzed

You get the idea

There is a well known forgery of this that Barry R Levin has been trying to sell for years...

"The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition. New York: Doubleday, 1990. First edition thus, FORGED LETTERED STATE. Signed by King and Bernie Wrightson, the book's illustrator. This book was originally limited to 52 LETTERED copies and 1,250 NUMBERED copies. With about 20 out-of-series (unlettered and unnumbered) copies produced to provide back-up in case of damage to in-series copies. This copy was one of the rare (20 or less) out-of-series back-up copies to which someone added the letters "AP" to the limitation page, in an attempt to make this copy look like one of the 52 "LETTERED" copies. The forger did not know that the lettered copies had been marked "A" to "Z" and "AA" to "ZZ". No "AP" copy was ever produced. What we have here is an authentic limited edition, with authentic autographs, but which is a FORGED "LETTERED" state (or an authentic but altered rare out-of-series copy)."

Wow...look at that asking price
    Nuts
    Calla Wolf

Country
    Country Flag

Nuts
    That's why it has been on sale for years. It will never sell at that price.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    21 bid retractions over the past six months, 12 within the last 30 days.
    I'm surprised that eBay doesn't boot this person off the system. I wonder if they've been reprimanded.
    This person needs a kick up the a*se and reported to ebay.

This person's ID is: killbourne_kram

My Mood
    Buzzed

Nuts
    That's why it has been on sale for years. It will never sell at that price.
    Attempted piracy, I'd call that

There used to be a time when dealers set the price and the market. That changed when ebay, and similar sites, took off. Now it's the buyers who set market value, a fact that sellers ignore at their peril. Knowledgeable buyers will always steer clear of inflated prices, and the number of knowledgeable buyers is growing every year. They will, of course, happily pay a marked up price as long as it remains in the realms of reasonableness, but when confronted by silly prices, they will vote with their feet and go elsewhere.
    Calla Wolf

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone know the seller thecomicmonster ?

He's got plenty comics signed by Robin Furth, Peter David and some stuff singed by Bernie Wrightson...
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by burial View Post

He's got plenty comics signed by Robin Furth, Peter David and some stuff singed by Bernie Wrightson...
    Hey burial, I can't get to this link from work - but it's not out of the question that he got those sigs at a comic con, or even had a signing. Does the seller list an actual brick and mortar comic shop?

Robin signs for several places - including The Signed Page. Both Peter and Bernie do the bigger comic conventions. And Robin's been known to do one or two as well.

ETA: though this isn't probably the thread to get into details - a signed comic which is NOT CGC graded/certified isn't worth a lot on the comic collectors market.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Along the Path of the Beam DavidK44 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by burial View Post

He's well-known in the comic art collecting groups as an eBay flipper. He has a lot of people working for him who stand in line at conventions to purchase commissions, get autographs, etc., and then immediately re-sell on eBay.

The art collecting contingent get upset because the flippers take spots that might have gone to real fans. The flippers argue that they're providing a service to those who can't make it to conventions.

I haven't heard anything to suggest that any of his material is not genuine.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

Robin signs for several places - including The Signed Page. Both Peter and Bernie do the bigger comic conventions. And Robin's been known to do one or two as well.

ETA: though this isn't probably the thread to get into details - a signed comic which is NOT CGC graded/certified isn't worth a lot on the comic collectors market.
    It has been some years since I was involved in the retail side of the comic world, but I know that signatures often add little value to a comic book UNLESS 1) the signer is not a prolific signer, or 2) the signer is dead, or 3) the signer is an uber-famous person at that moment. Case in point, Todd McFarlane at one time did a signing for the HeroesCon. Due to his immense popularity there was a HUGE turnout. So big that signatures were limited to only two items per person. McFarlane signed (four hours if I remember, maybe more) for all the people in line, but no one was allowed back in line. Because of the limitation, those signatures gained by flippers immediately went on the selling floor at a premium. I even saw one seller had a sign up stating he had McFarlane signed books "No lines, no wait". Today though, I doubt those books are worth anything close to the values at that time (1993/94).

I have no idea how a CGC grading would affect the value of any comic since around my way, a CGC grading adds no value at all.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

I have no idea how a CGC grading would affect the value of any comic since around my way, a CGC grading adds no value at all.

Sam - CGC actually has a Signature Series where they send a rep and that rep is with you when the comic is signed and then sent to CGC. It gaurantees that date of the signature and that the signature is real. They're very good investments. ( CGC Signature Series or SS, is a yellow label )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

That's a very good way to guarantee the validity of signatures. However, what I meant was that none of the comic shops around me deal with CGC graded books. Two of them won't even buy CGC graded books because their customers won't buy them. If I were to take a CGC graded book to either of those two stores right now, I wouldn't be able to sell or trade it for anything more than the trade value of a loose copy of the book in the same condition. That's what I mean when I say that a CGC grading adds no value in my area.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

So funny....because CGC is all that sells on ebay...

But...it make sense that there's a difference...if I walk into a comic store and buy some rare/old comic, I'm going to want to take it out and read it at least once. If I buy on ebay maybe it's not as personal an experience, and I'm happy to have it entombed on a slab.

I like the concept behind CGC, but not the actual practice...since the book can't ever be read again it just makes no sense to me.

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Take a look at this listing. I didn't know this book was so valuable. They are supposedly selling for "well over $1000 ... more if signed"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carrie-Salems-Lo...item27ae6bee3c

I should feel real happy, I picked up my copy for less than $5. Maybe it's time to sell!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

At most, he should be asking $10 for this. I wish I was in the same dream world as he is.

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

But, John, he takes Best Offers!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow. Even it it were signed twice, I wouldn't pay $1,000. For something that's just a regular book, what makes him believe it's worth that much?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Wow. Even it it were signed twice, I wouldn't pay $1,000. For something that's just a regular book, what makes him believe it's worth that much?
    He's probably smoking something.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger Apprentice artan is on a distinguished road artan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The image isn't clear enough...and I can't understand if it is ok...what do you think about this?

Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-Autographed-Book

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by artan View Post
    The image isn't clear enough...and I can't understand if it is ok...what do you think about this?

Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-Autographed-Book
    Even if the sig is legit it is fugly!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 462 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast