Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 462 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

It has come to our attention that images hosted by ebay may be considered Copyrighted material. Generally speaking eBay and eBay members don't don't complain about positive publicity as is helps advertise their sales. Problems can arise when a member posts an image and questions the legitimacy of an item in a thread.
    Going forward we ask that members don't post images from eBay without permission from either eBay, or the the person who is conducting the auction.
    Please feel free to post links to any eBay auction, and render your own opinions about signatures etc.
    Just to clarify, as stated in our site Terms Of Service:
    "The opinions and views expressed in these forums are not necessarily those of thedarktower.org, Stephen King, or the publishers of said author. "

THREAD INTRODUCTION
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleins
    I'm a veteran collector since the early 80's. I hate seeing uneducated statements in Ebay auctions. In the past I've tried to help contact sellers through Ebay so they understand that the auction statements isn't true, or what a first edition is, etc. 99.99% of the responses back are, "mind your own business", "you don't know what your talking about", my favorite...."your jealous just because I have a first edition for sale"

PLEASE, if your a new collector, CHECK here first, or ask questions. I love helping others build King collections.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Night-Shift-STEP...QQcmdZViewItem

This is nuts.

The Ebay BS meter just hit 10.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 06-14-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added intro quote from a later Mulleins post

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that is total bs

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

What's wrong with that auction? It might be a first edition d/j and the auction's starting at $9.99...

I doubt it's a first edition, but if I had a book w/out a d/j, I might consider getting it...the price-clipped corner will keep its value down anyway.

I don't see the BS here...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's the implication in the auction that it is NOT a BC DJ. With the price clipped who knows-or will ever know? My feeling is with the price clipped one expects the least valauble option.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I think it's the implication in the auction that it is NOT a BC DJ. ...
    I think it goes beyond "implication" when seller talks about the places where "Book Club Edition" should be printed but isn't. The seller may be trying to have an out by prefacing this auction with "We believe...", but everything else is clearly trying to get the uneducated buyer to think there is no doubt. That includes the "1st" in the auction title.

We believe this is a first edition jacket for the following reasons:

If it were a book club jacket, there would be a slug “Book Club Edition” on the BOTTOM of the front flap. There is none here.

Alternatively, the BOTTOM of the front flap could be clipped, eliminating the “Book Club Edition” slug. That is not the case here. As you can see in the pictures above, the TOP of the front flap is clipped, where the price would have been.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'd agree, Everything seems set up to deceive the potential buyer.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, I know it seems I'm upset about some of the Ebay auctions that keep popping up. Hence the Ebay BS Meter comment (It's a joke I have with myself during Ebay searches) 10 being the highest on the meter.

If your wondering why I picked on the First Edition Night Shift jacket without the price attached, you can't call it a first edition jacket.

Am I wrong? Is there numbers on a jacket other than price showing first edition. Just because it's price clipped where the price would be (book club would be in lower corner) doesn't make it a possible first.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Last edited by Patrick; 11-09-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: moved part of this post into the first post to serve as thread intro

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    PLEASE, if you're a new collector, CHECK here first, or ask questions. I love helping others build King collections.
    I would just like to highlight and echo this statement. One thing I love about this community of collectors is that everyone is always happy to help out and share their knowledge. God knows I've learned a hell of a lot from you all the past few years.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, I know it seems I'm upset about some of the Ebay auctions that keep popping up. Hence the Ebay BS Meter comment(It's a joke I have with myself during Ebay searches) 10 being the highest on the meter.

I'm a veteran collector since the early 80's. I hate seeing uneducated statements in Ebay auctions. In the past I've tried to help contact sellers through Ebay so they understand that the auction statements isn't true, or what a first edition is, etc. 99.99% of the responses back are, "mind your own business", "you don't know what your talking about", my favorite...."your jealous just because I have a first edition for sale"

PLEASE, if your a new collector, CHECK here first, or ask questions. I love helping others build King collections.

If your wondering why I picked on the First Edition Night Shift jacket without the price attached, you can't call it a first edition jacket.

Am I wrong? Is there numbers on a jacket other than price showing first edition. Just because it's price clipped where the price would be (book club would be in lower corner) doesn't make it a possible first.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Ralph I quite agree - first thing I thought of when i saw teh price clipped pic was gee there was never a price there but they clipped it to make it seem as if there was a price there in order to try and validate the 1st Edition.

Buyer Beware! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I see what people are saying, but in this case a price-clipped d/j drops the value so much, that it doesn't matter whether it's a first or not...there's no way to prove it is, and without actually seeing it, no way to prove it's not.

I said above I would consider getting it, and that isn't true...I would never buy a price-clipped d/j...I don't know why I said that...and basically, for just this reason.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good points, Rahfa.

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    What's wrong with that auction? It might be a first edition d/j and the auction's starting at $9.99...

I doubt it's a first edition, but if I had a book w/out a d/j, I might consider getting it...the price-clipped corner will keep its value down anyway.

The BS is something no one has brought up yet. ... The isbn was a series of printed numbers at the bottom of the front flap. The first state DJ did not have a bar code on the rear cover. There is no chance it was ever a 1st DJ

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Correct of course. It was the first King hardback to have a UPC on the DJ.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for pointing that out, Hutch!

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Hutch,

I'll let you set the BS meter on this one (0 no BS to 10 full of it):

Is this a jacket DoubleDay pulled back and put a sticker on? or BS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-NIG...QQcmdZViewItem

It's time to play BS or NOT:

Hutch, come on down.

Country
    Country Flag

Hutch,

Hutch, come on down.
    It certainly appears to be a Doubleday Book Club edition with the words "Book Club Edition" clipped of the lower front flap and an added price sticker affixed to the upper front flap.

History tells us that Doubleday had little faith that a collection of shorts would sell and printed a small first print run between 10,000 and 12,000 copies. When they found there weren't enough firsts to fill orders Doubleday pulled books from their own book club and modified the dust jacket for retail sale.

Realistiaclly it is nothing more than an early BCE.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Hutch,

Hutch, come on down.
    It certainly appears to be a Doubleday Book Club edition with the words "Book Club Edition" clipped of the lower front flap and an added price sticker affixed to the upper front flap.

History tells us that Doubleday had little faith that a collection of shorts would sell and printed a small first print run between 10,000 and 12,000 copies. When they found there weren't enough firsts to fill orders Doubleday pulled books from their own book club and modified the dust jacket for retail sale.

Realistiaclly it is nothing more than an early BCE.

OK. Folks, you heard it right here on Let's Play Ebay BS. We set the BS meter at 7

Stay tuned for more Let's Play Ebay BS.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That would make it a "First Edition" second state dust jacket book, right? I notice it's the black with red boards--indicitive of a first/early printing--not of an early BCE. Those were typically light tan boards.

In reality, I dont' know what he has!!! :p

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

... Let's Play Ebay BS. We set the BS meter at 7

Stay tuned for more Let's Play Ebay BS.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    That ought to be the name of a thread.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Done.
    If Bullshit is too strong, I can edit to say BS.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't double check the site Rules but I think it's too strong to be in a thread title. Check out my change and feel free to edit it again.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Works well for me.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    That would make it a "First Edition" second state dust jacket book, right? I notice it's the black with red boards--indicitive of a first/early printing--not of an early BCE. Those were typically light tan boards.

In reality, I dont' know what he has!!! :p
    The earliest BCE of Night Shift were bound with red boards and quarter bound in red paper that gave a faux cloth appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

The BS is something no one has brought up yet. ... The isbn was a series of printed numbers at the bottom of the front flap. The first state DJ did not have a bar code on the rear cover. There is no chance it was ever a 1st DJ
    Ha...So that's the fact we were missing before. I looked at my first edition d/j but I didn't notice that when I thought they looked alike...mystery solved...BS it is...haha

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like we have our next contestant in "Let's Play Ebay BS"

Seller Legendsinink COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIG...QQcmdZViewItem

OK DT Members. You set the BS meter. Is signature real or fake?:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 462 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast