Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 462 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 11535

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    If I was from the other side of the pond, I would buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Aut...item1e597babb7
    I believe this is a fake.

Look at the enlarged "signature" page

The image in the middle of the page is clear. the area around the signature is pixelated. I think the sig is superimposed over the page. Photoshop job.
    Regarding the back story: I don't understand why SK would sign this book rather than one of his own for a charity auction. I thought authors were (with few exceptions) loathe to sign books to which they made no contribution.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post

The image in the middle of the page is clear. the area around the signature is pixelated. I think the sig is superimposed over the page. Photoshop job.
    I saw this auction last night. Immediately sent Muzak Heart and Soul Foundation an email asking for confirmation of such an item sold as a benefit for the cause.

Waiting on response. Not that the response guarantees real or fake or but just curious.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    The signature seems real....I can't really see the pixelation...but that's a strange book for him to sign, or for someone to ask him to sign.

I'm not sure how a photoshopped signature would help the seller, since the buyer would eventually see what they got.

However, that book is a large 14x11, and that signature's ratio seems to fit - which means it's a very large signature for SK to sign....that's the oddest part about it.
    I didn't say the sig wasn't real...I said I thought it was superimposed.

Take a look at the image at double its size

The pixelation is quite visible around the signature, as if it were a separate file saved with a different compression to the photo of the book.

I may be completely paranoid, but NO WAY would I bid on it without a lot more photos
    Calla Wolf

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I see what you mean. I agree, there's something not quite right there.

John

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Regarding the back story: I don't understand why SK would sign this book rather than one of his own for a charity auction. I thought authors were (with few exceptions) loathe to sign books to which they made no contribution.
    ABSOLUTELY

Here's a blow-up of the "signature" page

Calla Wolf

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm leaning heavily toward moving the "Stephen King Autographed Copy of Long May She Wave" posts to the eBay BS thread as it has evolved into a discussion of sig validity, and a discussion has started there as well on the same auction. That ok with everyone?

EDIT: Done.
    Last edited by Patrick; 12-07-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: POSTS MOVED HERE

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

here is a closer image of the signed blaze i am looking at to purchase depending on the opinions offered here. So far there has been some skepticism.
    It was supposedly signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival and the seller said he had it signed in person.

Please let me know what you think !! Don't wish to waste my money

[IMG][/IMG]

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's not one of his prettier sigs, but I think it is legit.

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by namelessnpoor View Post
    here is a closer image of the signed blaze i am looking at to purchase depending on the opinions offered here. So far there has been some skepticism.
    It was supposedly signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival and the seller said he had it signed in person.

Gut instinct says it's good...but I'm not 100%.
    Calla Wolf

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

Publicatiion date is June 12th, 2007. For whats it's worth.......
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post
    Publicatiion date is June 12th, 2007. For whats it's worth.......
    So Blaze was published June 2007, but he had it signed in 2005 ? I guess that is just about impossible isn't it ?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I am leaning towards legit. Not entirely sure, though.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My gut's telling me it's not legit. Can't figure out why just yet, but let me stare at it longer. Something's just not right.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Miss Gretchen, I agree with you.

I really do not like the way the 'hen' looks.
    Looks to me to be written very slow and deliberate.

And that's not taking into account the signature was obtained on a book that hadn't been published yet...

Karl

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post

I saw this auction last night. Immediately sent Muzak Heart and Soul Foundation an email asking for confirmation of such an item sold as a benefit for the cause.

Waiting on response. Not that the response guarantees real or fake or but just curious.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    The signature seems real....I can't really see the pixelation...but that's a strange book for him to sign, or for someone to ask him to sign.

I'm not sure how a photoshopped signature would help the seller, since the buyer would eventually see what they got.

However, that book is a large 14x11, and that signature's ratio seems to fit - which means it's a very large signature for SK to sign....that's the oddest part about it.
    I didn't say the sig wasn't real...I said I thought it was superimposed.

Take a look at the image at double its size

The pixelation is quite visible around the signature, as if it were a separate file saved with a different compression to the photo of the book.

I may be completely paranoid, but NO WAY would I bid on it without a lot more photos
    I know you said it was superimposed...did you not grasp that I said I couldn't see the pixelization?

Also, that signature would be HUGE in real life...maybe three inches across?

I don't get how the seller could pull this off...if it's photoshopped, how will the seller make that work when the book actually arrives?

It would be easy to fake that for an ebay listing - but how would the actual, physical book be faked? I can't figure it out...

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[IMG][/IMG]
    I would cry fake if he insists it was signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival since the book wasn't published until 2007. The signature looks good, but my gut says this is just a really good fake job. That's based on his statement about when the book was signed, nothing more. Your choice now is to either ask for a clarification (if the seller has said more than once it was signed in 2005, no clarification should be needed), purchase the book, or walk away.

I recommend at least lacing up your sneakers.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

It HAS to be fake if he claims it was signed in 2005...he got too cute for his own good, and spun a story with no research.

Plus, something looks wrong with it...looks maybe traced. Just a wee bit too careful.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

But they come with COA's, they must be genuine. I mean...that would be dishonest.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite part of the first one is the lifetime guarantee that apparently lasts only 7 days:

* Everything sold is 100% hand signed by the personality and is fully guaranteed for
    the life of the autograph. I will stand behind each and every autograph that is listed for sale. *

Please buy with confidence.

:: RETURNS ::

You may return your item to us for any reason within 7 days of the receipt of your purchase. We will grant a full refund of the purchase price of your item. Return shipping is assumed by the buyer. Return shipping will be refunded in the event that an item is inaccurately described.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    This has got to be a tough economy to try to sell an expensive collectible like the asbestos Firestarter. Good luck, Mike!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    I sent the guy a note telling him it was a fake. Here's the reply he sent back.

"Thank you for this message. This autograph was actually obtained in person by a close friend of mine in 2002. I have full documentation of the signing and a photo of my friend with Mr. King. It's a piece he hated to part with as it was inscribed to him. But it is absolutely authentically hand signed by him. Best, Mike."
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What I love about this second one is he's selling that shit for charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    My favorite part of the first one is the lifetime guarantee that apparently lasts only 7 days:

* Everything sold is 100% hand signed by the personality and is fully guaranteed for
    the life of the autograph. I will stand behind each and every autograph that is listed for sale. *

Please buy with confidence.

:: RETURNS ::

You may return your item to us for any reason within 7 days of the receipt of your purchase. We will grant a full refund of the purchase price of your item. Return shipping is assumed by the buyer. Return shipping will be refunded in the event that an item is inaccurately described.
    After 7 days he kills you, thus it is legitimately a lifetime guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Now you know what to get me for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    I sent the guy a note telling him it was a fake. Here's the reply he sent back.

"Thank you for this message. This autograph was actually obtained in person by a close friend of mine in 2002. I have full documentation of the signing and a photo of my friend with Mr. King. It's a piece he hated to part with as it was inscribed to him. But it is absolutely authentically hand signed by him. Best, Mike."
    Stating the obvious, but he is a liar, his friend is a liar, or all of the above.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    I would cry fake if he insists it was signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival since the book wasn't published until 2007. The signature looks good, but my gut says this is just a really good fake job. That's based on his statement about when the book was signed, nothing more. Your choice now is to either ask for a clarification (if the seller has said more than once it was signed in 2005, no clarification should be needed), purchase the book, or walk away.

I recommend at least lacing up your sneakers.

I did ask for clarificationand his reply was he told me the wrong info, he mixed the Blaze up with another book he was emailing info about. The other book had been signed in 2005, the Blaze now was signed in October 2008 in Cambridge, MA. As much as I want to get a signed blaze, i think i will just pass this one by, the when and where story of the sig was to much, i think hes lying. Plus getting info has been like pulling teeth.
    Thanks for your help everyone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 462 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 ... LastLast