Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 462 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 11535

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmaniscoming View Post
    Or should we rename this the Shibus Files?

Darko, even in jest the comment does nothing towards improving any and all member's experience here.
    As mentioned, this particular item is questioned (by you and others), but please wait to hear from Greg/shibus in this forum to avoid contention.
    Until then don't buy it, don't recommend it, and (don't take offense), calm down.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

OK great...interesting as my feeling was that the first one was definitely trash.
    The second one (in silver) I thought was likely to be real as it is identical to known real signatures done in the same silver pen and incidentally movie stuff as well.
    The third one I thought stood a chance and then i was told it was signed within the same few days of the first one, which then changed my whole view on both.
    I bought all 3 for very little relatively speaking as I want to have them closely examined in detail by a few others and I suspect that at least one is real...thanks for your thoughts !!!

srry I guess we crossed posts Randall......didn't mean anything bad, i just meant that we should move on...
    really don't like hearing the "don't buy it" thing though...I hear that from people selling crap all the time and its usually followed by the f word..LOL...I'm pretty calm these days....

What do you think about the three I posted?
    Last edited by Darkmaniscoming; 09-05-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: cross posts

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

We did contact .... he said ~

"I was able to pick up a half dozen from a friend who went to the signing back east after publication. The ticket to the event went with the first copy I sold. Brutal yes. But pretty typical of his current style."

Anyway..... so its a split decision......some say real...some say not.

So how about some opinions on the three I posted?

I think this statement alone should answer all the questions. Although it was the flyer, not the ticket, that sold with the first copy.

This e-mail was followed up with a second e-mail requesting images of the other copies which I said I would provide when I got home from work. (at the time only 24 hours). I spent the next three days on the fire line and when I got home last night I counted three comments from him directly referring to it as Not Authentic (Fake). Basically calling me a liar. And yeah, Pissing me off. Not very "civil" to me. Had the above statement been posted stateing how I obtained the book(s), along with his opinion, I doubt this would have panned out the same. I'm all for lively discussion and questions about my books. But when some Smart-ass Moron I don't even know (No Offense) calls me a Liar I'll have a problem with it. Reputation is everything. Thanx to those of you guys watching my Six.
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just read this whole discussion tonight. Pretty interesting. If prior non-confidential representations about the item in discussion were made, it would have been helpful if they could have been communicated to the group earlier.

Most comments here with questions about the item, starting with the very first opening post, say they believe the signature is authentic, if for no other reason, because shibus is the seller. When it comes to flatsigned books, there is no higher compliment than that.

Greg, glad to see you post - less because of the discussion at hand, more because it tells us that you are alive and well. As one Californian whose County has experienced a major fire this summer, thank you for all you and your colleagues are doing for us. Please stay safe.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

Well thank you for clarifying the whole issue..I'm sure everybody can rest assured that it is 100% authentic now...

Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post

"I was able to pick up a half dozen from a friend who went to the signing back east after publication. The ticket to the event went with the first copy I sold. Brutal yes. But pretty typical of his current style."

I think this statement alone should answer all the questions. Although it was the flyer, not the ticket, that sold with the first copy.

This e-mail was followed up with a second e-mail requesting images of the other copies which I said I would provide when I got home from work. (at the time only 24 hours). I spent the next three days on the fire line and when I got home last night I counted three comments from him directly referring to it as Not Authentic (Fake). Basically calling me a liar. And yeah, Pissing me off. Not very "civil" to me. Had the above statement been posted stateing how I obtained the book(s), along with his opinion, I doubt this would have panned out the same. I'm all for lively discussion and questions about my books. But when some Smart-ass Moron I don't even know (No Offense) calls me a Liar I'll have a problem with it. Reputation is everything. Thanx to those of you guys watching my Six.

I get your sarcasm. I don't think I'll let this go just yet. Maybe you could share with everyone here why you chose not to post the information I gave to you before your assault on the signature?

Well thank you for clarifying the whole issue..I'm sure everybody can rest assured that it is 100% authentic now...

Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post

I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Call it an assault if you want, I call it my opinion, thats all...read whatever you want into my statements but if giving a clear explanation of my reasons translates into calling you a liar (?)..you can call me all the names you want if it makes you feel better.
    I only posted your private message after someone asked for ANY info on provenance as you apparently were not available. As I said ..its a split decision among members here and others and I guess we will never know for sure...certainly not the first time this has happened....

Maybe you could help me determine the authenticity of the 3 that i posted, or maybe you want to keep beating a dead horse?

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

God, I'm such an idiot for wading into this...

Shibus: you would - NEVER - deliberately sell a fake signature. That is the gospel from the mount as far I'm concerned. I can't think of a better Ebay seller.

However, if your book supposedly came from the Odyssey signing - the same source as the two others that RF posted on the other page - then that raises my eyebrows - NOT about you, but your source.

To me, that signature doesn't even look close to the other two - not even close. The ink is different, the style of the 'S,' the loop of the 'S,' etc. It's not one problem, to me it's a lot of problems. It's simply not consistent with the others from the same place and time (or even an LSOE signature). It's not an assault - I am bluntly saying I don't believe it came from the Odyssey signing.

I've been beat on bad signatures before, and when I went to sell one, it was Ceri who emailed me to say it was a fake - once I looked at it objectively, I had to agree.

If your source for these half-dozen books is unimpeachable, then I'm the asshole.

But...I had no questions about that book, other than it being kind of a bad signature example, UNTIL I saw the comparison sigs...even then, I wasn't sure your signature supposedly came from the Odyssey event, so I was maybe a little sketched out, but not that much.

But if you believe that book supposedly came from the Odyssey signing those other two came from? I don't see it.

You have a spectacular reputation - I am NOT questioning you, personally.

But, seriously, how many times have we heard from fraudsters the old line, "I got 10 signed copies because I know the guy who knows the guy." You made a deal with somebody who you trust, right? So why do you believe him? THAT is the only provenance that matters.

I don't know your source, obviously. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that somebody promises six copies, can only get four, and takes measures to get the other two. Or, when he realizes what you'll pay, does what he can to provide as many as he can, authentic or otherwise.

To repeat - if you have a great source, then I'm the jerk.

I've been at this for 10 years. I've spent a lot of money, bought and sold a lot of books. Just because I'm not aggressive on Ebay and don't mention my purchases and sales doesn't mean I'm on the sidelines.

I'm sorry I stirred shit up in a direction I didn't intend or expect it to go - that was NOT my intention with my first post. Everyone's selling reputation is often only as good as their most recent sale, so you should be glad this is being discussed in an open forum where you can address and eliminate any possible concerns.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just to be clear, the two images I posted were of books purchased from Odyssey Bookshop. King signed extra books for the store to sell. I don't have a ticket to the event as I did not attend. I do however have the following provenance (I did not save the shipping box or label):

Very well put Rahfa. Look, Truth is I'm not crazy about the signature either. I trust my source but anything's possible. I got a great deal on an oppurtunity to make a few $$ and I took it. Normally I would never buy a signed copy without seeing the sig. I personally like inscribed copies better.
    I also believe there are forgeries out there that can meet "our" criteria's better the SKs himself. He's made it clear he's pretty burnt out signing and most lately are probably contractual. I mean, When was the last book you've seen with more than a signature on it. Without some research Buick 8 comes to mind and those were just dated.

I took this a little too far. I had a tough few days. Lost a couple guys I knew. Found out it was Arson and came home beat to shit with a bug up my ass. Even though I find DMs opinions to sometimes be a little harsh we are who we are and we all share a common thread. For my part this is over and I'm sorry for adding any unnecessary fuel to the fire. You guys be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    God, I'm such an idiot for wading into this...

Shibus: you would - NEVER - deliberately sell a fake signature. That is the gospel from the mount as far I'm concerned. I can't think of a better Ebay seller.

However, if your book supposedly came from the Odyssey signing - the same source as the two others that RF posted on the other page - then that raises my eyebrows - NOT about you, but your source.

To me, that signature doesn't even look close to the other two - not even close. The ink is different, the style of the 'S,' the loop of the 'S,' etc. It's not one problem, to me it's a lot of problems. It's simply not consistent with the others from the same place and time (or even an LSOE signature). It's not an assault - I am bluntly saying I don't believe it came from the Odyssey signing.

I've been beat on bad signatures before, and when I went to sell one, it was Ceri who emailed me to say it was a fake - once I looked at it objectively, I had to agree.

If your source for these half-dozen books is unimpeachable, then I'm the asshole.

But...I had no questions about that book, other than it being kind of a bad signature example, UNTIL I saw the comparison sigs...even then, I wasn't sure your signature supposedly came from the Odyssey event, so I was maybe a little sketched out, but not that much.

But if you believe that book supposedly came from the Odyssey signing those other two came from? I don't see it.

You have a spectacular reputation - I am NOT questioning you, personally.

But, seriously, how many times have we heard from fraudsters the old line, "I got 10 signed copies because I know the guy who knows the guy." You made a deal with somebody who you trust, right? So why do you believe him? THAT is the only provenance that matters.

I don't know your source, obviously. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that somebody promises six copies, can only get four, and takes measures to get the other two. Or, when he realizes what you'll pay, does what he can to provide as many as he can, authentic or otherwise.

To repeat - if you have a great source, then I'm the jerk.

I've been at this for 10 years. I've spent a lot of money, bought and sold a lot of books. Just because I'm not aggressive on Ebay and don't mention my purchases and sales doesn't mean I'm on the sidelines.

I'm sorry I stirred shit up in a direction I didn't intend or expect it to go - that was NOT my intention with my first post. Everyone's selling reputation is often only as good as their most recent sale, so you should be glad this is being discussed in an open forum where you can address and eliminate any possible concerns.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Greg, are you going to have to be going back on the line soon?

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks shibus. Things have been very difficult fighting the fire(s). I appreciate your comments, as well as those from others.
    Darkman did ask for thoughts on the signatures of three images he posted.
    Perhaps we can move on and render opinions on them.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

All sounds good, Greg. I trust your judgment.

I tried to coordinate a home construction project via email when I was in Iraq a few months ago. I misinterpreted a few emails, and basically threatened to sue everybody involved in a progression of more and more strident responses. Needless to say, Iraq was NOT the right environment for me to try and deal with mundane nonsense like the direction a porch door opened (which I had totally misunderstood, among other comedies of error) - sounds like you're in the same high-stress/angering situation, so I can relate.

Greg..I suspected that you were tired and groggy after reading your story and perhaps timing for this was bad.
    You will recall in review that my PM's to you had much in the way of respect for your listings and reputation even though I don't personally know you. I definitely approached you in a much different way than I normally approach items I question.
    A lot of times passion is misconstrued as harsh, I cannot help my passion.

Five years ago, I got ripped off myself, I made a promise to a wonderful lady who came to my rescue that I would do whatever I could to help put a stop to the Ebay BS.
    I'm really passionate about promises too...

Anyway so I would love to move on and get your thoughts on those questionable ones i posted and please be as harsh as you like if you see something I dont...

Peace.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It really makes my day to see that VERY passionate thoughts can be put forth here, yet arguments do not degenerate as one often sees in today's web forums.
    Ok. let's look at the signatures Darkman posted.

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can anyone here tell me if this signature is the real deal,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wolves-of-the-Ca...d=p3911.c0.m14

This buyer also has 2 copies of From a Buick 8 for sale with signatures, are they real?

It is the same story for both books. They have multiple copies and are selling two of them.

If this is someone on this site I apologize in advance for questioning the sigs. I know nothing about SK signatures (I only own 1 signed book) and I am always skeptical of buying them on e-bay.

Thanks for your help.

I would say all of those are real.....

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    Can anyone here tell me if this signature is the real deal,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wolves-of-the-Ca...d=p3911.c0.m14

This buyer also has 2 copies of From a Buick 8 for sale with signatures, are they real?

It is the same story for both books. They have multiple copies and are selling two of them.

If this is someone on this site I apologize in advance for questioning the sigs. I know nothing about SK signatures (I only own 1 signed book) and I am always skeptical of buying them on e-bay.

Thanks for your help.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The only problem I have with the three books is that the starting bid is so low, and there doesn't seem to be a reserve.

John

I'm not concerned too much about the no reserve, but why on earth someone would list two of the same book at same time is a bit bizarre I must admit.
    But ebay is a truly bizarre place. I bought one of the favorite books in my collection last month for $50. Authentic vintage sig for sure and quite a shock to my system as I had dropped a bid of $200 thinking there was no way I'd win it.

I have zero concerns of any of those being fake.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the signature pictured is great.

So before mine get buried again....Randal do you have any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Thanks shibus. Things have been very difficult fighting the fire(s). I appreciate your comments, as well as those from others.
    Darkman did ask for thoughts on the signatures of three images he posted.
    Perhaps we can move on and render opinions on them.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

When I read this thread I'm always grateful I don't care for signed books The only signed books I'd like to have are the official AE or S/L editions... and those, I only want because they're beautiful, high-quality, well-crafted productions, not because they're signed!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Greg - just wanted to send my best thoughts to you, please be safe. I'm sorry about the loss of your friends, very sorry. It's such a tough job you have - know that you're in my thoughts and I'm sending :goodmind: your way. All the best.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Greg - just wanted to send my best thoughts to you, please be safe. I'm sorry about the loss of your friends, very sorry. It's such a tough job you have - know that you're in my thoughts and I'm sending :goodmind: your way. All the best.
    I second this, wholeheartedly!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 462 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 ... LastLast