Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 216 of 462 FirstFirst ... 116 166 206 214 215 216 217 218 226 266 316 ... LastLast
Results 5,376 to 5,400 of 11535

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I was doing my normal Stephen King searches when a slew of VERY HIGH PRICED SK books came up. $2,5000 BIN set of Castle Rocks ... $2,750 first edition The Stand ... $4,250 DT VIII S/L ... and so on. I absolutely had to message the seller, and this is what I said:

"Not to be a dick or anything, but are you joking with these prices? The fact that I even have to SCROLL THROUGH your waste of time posts angers me. If I could punch you through the Internet, I would. Please, do everyone a favor, and die. Not just die, but die, become a ghost, get trapped in some kind of limbo where you are forced to have sex with your parents all day, every day, and then, just when you think you've had enough, you accidentally get your own mother pregnant and then have to eat your son-brother with only a glass of sour milk to wash him down with. Thanks, have a nice day!"

P.S. If this seller, rfbooks, is any of you ... just kidding! ... right? lol
    I just scroll past listings that don't interest me and don't give them another thought.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

lol, Shannon your a hoot.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Coulrophobia View Post
    Yes but look at the bottom left part of the S.

Well I love Sgc1999 and I did try to keep my mouth shut for as long as I could but the temptation was too great after seeing the above images.
    I do think this one is a forgery (Im sorry SGC1999!). Its one of those gut reactions when you look at it its just not right and though we can try to point out specific wrongs its the overall look and feel of the sig and date that is off (imho).
    I will mention that if there was anything to be specifically pointed out it would be the loop on the K and the N in king. The K seems to have too much of a curl where the others in that time period appeared straighter and/or more closed off. And the N is just wrong - looks more like an R
    Sorry Simon
    reality continues to ruin my life

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coulrophobia View Post
    Yes but look at the bottom left part of the S.

Well I love Sgc1999 and I did try to keep my mouth shut for as long as I could but the temptation was too great after seeing the above images.
    I do think this one is a forgery (Im sorry SGC1999!). Its one of those gut reactions when you look at it its just not right and though we can try to point out specific wrongs its the overall look and feel of the sig and date that is off (imho).
    I will mention that if there was anything to be specifically pointed out it would be the loop on the K and the N in king. The K seems to have too much of a curl where the others in that time period appeared straighter and/or more closed off. And the N is just wrong - looks more like an R
    Sorry Simon
    This is a hard one IMO, one second it looks good to me then the next it doesn't. So I am on the fence on this one. Again, I am not an expert on this.
    Christine

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

How comfortable are you telling a book dealer the signature in thier book is fake or questionable?
    I was at the St Peterberg Antiquarian Book Fair this weekend and while searching through the 99
    venders and the goods available I did find some Notable King items. I also found a couple items that
    most anyone here would recognize as adorned with a bogus signature. I politely pointed out the
    flawed signatures to the two book dealers and got varied responses. One had a Tommyknockers with
    a real bad sig while also displaying a 11/22/63 with a good current sig. I was able to note the difference and
    and he acknowledged he had some question in his mind about the bogus sig and immediately took the
    signed label off the Tommyknockers.
    The other seller had a "Signed" copy of Thinner in his display case marked for sale at $1400.
    He was not as comfortable hearing my unsolicted comment however said he'd have to check it out.
    I was very candid approaching both dealers about these items however thought later that it was a bit nervy
    or bold that I would speak out like that to these "Fine book dealers".

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think you did the right thing. Sounds like you were professional and businesslike. In such a circumstance you don't want to come across as some sort of flake. Present your credentials (member of this site, have evaluated numerous signatures, have bought and sold, whatever). State your case politely and let them do what they want to do with the new information. If they cop an attitude, that's on them, not you.

You could also direct them to this site. I believe Jerome has signature examples for just about every year King has been publishing. That way, the "fine book dealers" can do a little investigating and make learned comparisons.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    You could also direct them to this site. I believe Jerome has signature examples for just about every year King has been publishing...
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...nt&redirect=no

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    How comfortable are you telling a book dealer the signature in thier book is fake or questionable?
    I'd take it on a case by case basis. Just as I don't e-mail sellers on eBay offering fake signatures I wouldn't necessarily feel obligated to tell a seller face-to-face that I thought his signed book was forged. I'd probably just put in back on the shelf or back in the case and move on. I think that is especially true at a book fair where I am likely meeting a dealer for the first time and will likely never meet him again. The seller doesn't know my credentials (if I even have any) and has no reason to take my word for anything. I have returned books on ABE and eBay with questionable signatures and gotten into a couple of heated e-mail exchanges. I don't need that to happen in person.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I was at the St Peterberg Antiquarian Book Fair this weekend and while searching through the 99
    venders and the goods available I did find some Notable King items. I also found a couple items that
    most anyone here would recognize as adorned with a bogus signature. I politely pointed out the
    flawed signatures to the two book dealers and got varied responses. One had a Tommyknockers with
    a real bad sig while also displaying a 11/22/63 with a good current sig. I was able to note the difference and
    and he acknowledged he had some question in his mind about the bogus sig and immediately took the
    signed label off the Tommyknockers.
    The other seller had a "Signed" copy of Thinner in his display case marked for sale at $1400.
    He was not as comfortable hearing my unsolicted comment however said he'd have to check it out.
    I was very candid approaching both dealers about these items however thought later that it was a bit nervy
    or bold that I would speak out like that to these "Fine book dealers".
    I think you did the right thing too. They most likely had no clue. Better to have a good reputation than make an unsavory sale.

Thanks TN, I love you too

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I'd take it on a case by case basis. Just as I don't e-mail sellers on eBay offering fake signatures I wouldn't necessarily feel obligated to tell a seller face-to-face that I thought his signed book was forged. I'd probably just put in back on the shelf or back in the case and move on. I think that is especially true at a book fair where I am likely meeting a dealer for the first time and will likely never meet him again. The seller doesn't know my credentials (if I even have any) and has no reason to take my word for anything. I have returned books on ABE and eBay with questionable signatures and gotten into a couple of heated e-mail exchanges. I don't need that to happen in person.
    I tend to agree. Those situations have potential to get hostile, and who needs that.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    You could also direct them to this site. I believe Jerome has signature examples for just about every year King has been publishing...
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...nt&redirect=no
    and that I did as well with the one seller welcoming the suggestion and the other likely to appreciate it if he actually checks in

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The 'Salem's Lot signature is good, I think.

The Misery inscription and sig are horrible.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

That's not even close. I wonder why one would go to such lengths to forge a signature and then add an inscription that, for most, would inherently limit the appeal for buyers/ collectors (unless your last name was Doty). Funny, I have this image in my head of someone who looks vaguely like King coming in to their restaurant to eat, then being comped the meal and handed a book to sign...Sure, he thinks, why not, sounds like a deal to me. Or maybe I'm just giving the owners of the book too much benefit of the doubt, ascribing their ownership of the "signed" book more to ignorance than duplicity.

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The Misery signature has a restaurant comment maybe he was drunk. lol

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It was probably Joe and he was just like "what the hell free food"

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Different Seasons
    I don't know the early signatures at all, is this as bad as I suspect?
    Mark Twain

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Different Seasons is a poor fake.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pathetic, and can't spell "signed"
    Stephen King SIGED (SIC) 1st ed. The Dark Half

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would not want to be handcuffed to a bed with this copy:
    Gerald's Game by Stephen King (1992, Autographed)

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I would not want to be handcuffed to a bed with this copy:
    Gerald's Game by Stephen King (1992, Autographed)
    Picture is too dark to even see the signature

I refuse to even look at his listings

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    The 'Salem's Lot signature is good, I think.
    I agree
    reality continues to ruin my life

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Question: Recently, I was wondering what should a seller do if the opinion of the good folks here discuss an item on ebay, and the opinion is that the signature is in doubt. Should the seller put something in his ebay listing saying that he is not 100% sure that the listing is legit? Just curious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 216 of 462 FirstFirst ... 116 166 206 214 215 216 217 218 226 266 316 ... LastLast