Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 440 of 462 FirstFirst ... 340 390 430 438 439 440 441 442 450 ... LastLast
Results 10,976 to 11,000 of 11535

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, good eye
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, update. I took what was said and, unlike some in the past, there wasn't a rain of shit on the signature just questions so I sent a message to them. They have a decent story, much better than most and while I'm taking a risk and may be a total sucker I'm going to pay and see if I can get this checked out in person by someone who is trusted.

That leads me to ask, while I've had experience with JSA being better and more stringent on the exact same items as PSA, DNA, Beckett I hear loud and clear even they can't be trusted on a King signature and I am wondering who could authenticate and be trusted? Send it off to David at Betts? Thanks
    Seeking:

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That TDZ inscription is a beaut!

Brooks. The second book that Rick said he'd rather own is from a trusted member here by the user name of OneFathom (Colin). Great guy to deal with and his stuff is legit. PM him to make deals off eBay.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

No offense to David at Betts, but I think even he would agree that tippy, and several others here (myself included) are as good at judging sigs as he is.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    No offense to David at Betts, but I think even he would agree that tippy, and several others here (myself included) are as good at judging sigs as he is.
    Agreed. Was going to say the same thing. You want the best expert advice on King signatures. You got it right here.

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

But we dont have any stickers to give.....damn
    Load up the Spaceship with the Rocket Fuel

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by HONKYTONKSMASH View Post
    But we dont have any stickers to give.....damn
    Here you go...

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough, anyone want to volunteer to have me ship it to them for appraisal? It can be given the virtual stamp of approval or disapproval...
    Seeking:

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Didn’t I read somewhere that someone knows King? I’m sure he wouldn’t mind authenticating it himself lol
    Seeking:

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    Didn’t I read somewhere that someone knows King? I’m sure he wouldn’t mind authenticating it himself lol
    You'd be better off getting the opinions of the experienced members of this forum...seriously man, use this thread for its intended purpose...receiving help on questionable signatures in books you are considering, pointing out bs artists on ebay etc. I could be wrong but I doubt anyone here wants to "authenticate" anything for you and issue you a COA so that you can slap their seal of approval stamp on it and list in your ebay store.. If all you are after is the warm and fuzzies of a sticker then you probably are better off with the JSA,DNA,PSA whatever nonsense...
    Load up the Spaceship with the Rocket Fuel

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm more than happy to render an opinion here, but don't really wish to have books sent to me.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm more than happy to render an opinion here, but don't really wish to have books sent to me.
    What he said.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I spent a second thinking about this and I'm going to go ahead and ask:

I felt people were being honest with the opinion they weren't 100% sure and "it's too perfect" and "I wouldn't own it". I'm used to "THAT'S THE SPAWNHELL OF SATAN'S DIRTY DIAPER of GARBAGE" or "That's legit".

It's kind of a damned if I do or damned if I don't. I don't want to buy or sell fake items, but the word I'm given is there isn't anyone I can fully trust outside these boards because if I do send it off to JSA I'm told that's irrelevant (which I respectfully disagree with but that's based on non-King items) and nobody, as you put it, "wants to "authenticate" anything for you and issue you a COA so that you can slap their seal of approval stamp on it and list in your ebay store."

I understand you guys don't relate that I both have an ebay store AND am a collector who buys thing he wants and also wants them to be legit for personal and professional reasons, but if the sentiment is that I should only use this thread on ebay listings and purchases if I don't intend to relist I would appreciate that being said outright. I'll move along, no problem. I did it on the Pride and Joy thread b/c, although it was brought up by someone who floods the classifieds here with prices at what it would cost less ebay fees at best, I shouldn't be having a Pride and Joy I'm also selling. Meanwhile anyone who contacts me from here I give as good a deal as I can, with consignment sales being my only major interference. I do that, if nothing else, as a thank you for the help.

I am of the feeling that collectors can come in all shapes, sizes, approach and psychology and make an attempt as a current book seller to not make assumptions or pass judgment. I am NOT a Stephen King expert (obviously), but I would say I'm pretty close on Easton Press and have happily helped dozens of potential sellers better understand what they are dealing with and are up against. I allow for the idea that I should just tell them that they can only receive my help if they don't intend to sell Easton Press is an approach others employ and don't have a problem with that, either. This doesn't mean how I feel about it is right, but that's my approach so I metaphorically walk into a place like this with that mentality.

So, if anyone wants to be objectively definitive on these boards about this signature either way I'll roll with that. Usually that's what I receive and I act accordingly. If not, I'm not sure why it's unreasonable to find a solution where I can avoid being in a grey area when there is such a deep network of people who communicate about the realities. Or, if I need to get to stepping, that's not something I was hoping for, but I'm seeking help and if me using this thread for that isn't appropriate please just be direct.

Edit: Paul (zelig)...I'm totally serious about this, if you want me to remove my ebay listings of your books I will in a minute. I have zero intention of not possessing your items. The prices I have are where I am almost certain that if they actually sold them that I could acquire another in minutes with my typical tidy profit (people think it's crazy, but this happens fairly often). I have the mentality (not shared by everyone for sure) that simply having them listed in the store brings people in and they look at other things, of which I have hundreds and hundreds priced very competitively. That's established by my own past thinking of "wow, if they like that then let's see what else they like that I may could afford". I truly find what you are doing to be a moment in time where I stop in awe and while most of my store is in a "library of inventory" yours will be on display in my new home. I won't be offended at all if your opinion is that this detracts from what you are doing, I am of the feeling that it gets the word out (as it did to me). That's the last thing I want to do, but I'm also not deluded into thinking what I do will have any real impact either way on your business.

Thanks for the help in the past, either way. This group is very helpful.
    Seeking:

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    What he said.
    These were put up as I wrote that in reply to HonkeyTonkSmash. I appreciate the help and i totally understand not wanting books sent to you. Just looking for clarity. Thanks
    Seeking:

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

It is hard to tell if a signature is legit when it is cut and pasted out of context. The picture should be a high resolution shot of enough of the page to be able to see placement, angle, size, etc.. When it is an out of context pic then there is less to go by.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    It is hard to tell if a signature is legit when it is cut and pasted out of context. The picture should be a high resolution shot of enough of the page to be able to see placement, angle, size, etc.. When it is an out of context pic then there is less to go by.
    That's good insight as I was just thinking a large pic of the signature, maybe this helps:

Seeking:

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by HONKYTONKSMASH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    You'd be better off getting the opinions of the experienced members of this forum...seriously man, use this thread for its intended purpose...receiving help on questionable signatures in books you are considering, pointing out bs artists on ebay etc. I could be wrong but I doubt anyone here wants to "authenticate" anything for you and issue you a COA so that you can slap their seal of approval stamp on it and list in your ebay store.. If all you are after is the warm and fuzzies of a sticker then you probably are better off with the JSA,DNA,PSA whatever nonsense...
    Damnit! I was hoping for an official TDT.org COA I mean, the sight has business cards and bookmarks, so why not!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think as most of us are book collectors who visit this thread - if the consensus is that there is doubt over the authenticity of a signature we are considering buying - then that’s enough for most of us to not want it in our collection.
    No problem to me personally if you’re buying the books to sell on, but you should do what others have suggested. If the consensus here is the sig is 100% authentic then buy it. If there is even an element of doubt then leave the signature alone. That’s what myself and others do/have done.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

If you asked which way I am leaning....I would say I am leaning toward it being legit.

There is just something that bothers me with the fact I have seen several of these with the signature in the same place and as level as they are (King tends to slant up to the right).

I have no idea the conditions or situations these books were signed under.

Still......you must admit it was weird that I KNEW it was a signed copy of FAB8.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

If you asked which way I am leaning....I would say I am leaning toward it being legit.

There is just something that bothers me with the fact I have seen several of these with the signature in the same place and as level as they are (King tends to slant up to the right).

I have no idea the conditions or situations these books were signed under.

Still......you must admit it was weird that I KNEW it was a signed copy of FAB8.
    It was weird (and impressive) b/c I thought you had simply seen the listing. The thing is, and this could have been a mistake on my part, but it being similar to others didn't hurt it for me right away because I thought potentially it was how signed them all during that tour/sitting. The seller had a story that checked out about him being at a location very near where they live currently at a date and location which checked out, a willingness to sign an affidavit (I know, not really anything but still), and a willingness to refund. With all that combined with a price of only $180 it seemed a risk worth taking. I get on the other side of the coin they could all be the same b/c the same forger did them all but the story on that I expected to hear was "the guy who sold it to me had blah blah blah".

I also get how elements of doubt keep people from buying, that's a strong choice and one I certainly can align with. That being said, this price was very good and as I said, the consensus wasn't that it wasn't real. I feel like this horse has children who have also been beaten to death at this point but every time I think I understand things something else like page placement is pointed out and I learn a little more.
    Seeking:

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

King almost needs to start using his own authentication sticker like jk Rowling does. Might even get people to stop bugging him for signatures on the street.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Because you know your shit Rick!

Knightmare, as with any sale on the secondary market, the seller can pitch it at whatever price point they wish. It’s certainly not my place to ask sellers to remove listings, nor would I.

In terms of the ‘flipper’ or reseller discussion, I have no problem with people making a profit. We all need to make a living. What I don’t like is if let’s say a book is listed at a price point that is exponentially above the market price, and someone comes along who doesn’t know the market, is a new collector, is a little ‘green’, whatever, and makes a rash decision to pull the trigger and make the purchase. To me, that individual just got ripped of. It happened to me in the very early days of my collecting, so maybe I’m overly sensitive to it. I just feel that collectors should be treated in a way that we would like to be treated ourselves. So in a general sense, whenever I see a book priced excessively high, it turns me off. Just my opinion. We’re all in this together. There are enough scum buckets in the outside world who try to take advantage of us all day, every day. I would like to know there is a safe haven in our little world where we all get a fair deal and everyone wins.

Country
    Country Flag

Well stated, Paul! +1

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep ditto, Paul.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Because you know your shit Rick!

Knightmare, as with any sale on the secondary market, the seller can pitch it at whatever price point they wish. It’s certainly not my place to ask sellers to remove listings, nor would I.

In terms of the ‘flipper’ or reseller discussion, I have no problem with people making a profit. We all need to make a living. What I don’t like is if let’s say a book is listed at a price point that is exponentially above the market price, and someone comes along who doesn’t know the market, is a new collector, is a little ‘green’, whatever, and makes a rash decision to pull the trigger and make the purchase. To me, that individual just got ripped of. It happened to me in the very early days of my collecting, so maybe I’m overly sensitive to it. I just feel that collectors should be treated in a way that we would like to be treated ourselves. So in a general sense, whenever I see a book priced excessively high, it turns me off. Just my opinion. We’re all in this together. There are enough scum buckets in the outside world who try to take advantage of us all day, every day. I would like to know there is a safe haven in our little world where we all get a fair deal and everyone wins.
    I’ll take the Suntup listings I don’t have repeats down then.
    Seeking:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 440 of 462 FirstFirst ... 340 390 430 438 439 440 441 442 450 ... LastLast