Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 462 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 199 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 11535

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by namelessnpoor View Post
    As much as I want to get a signed blaze, i think i will just pass this one by
    I think that is a good decision. Legit or not there is some question about it. You would always have lingering doubts about it.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    I sent the guy a note telling him it was a fake. Here's the reply he sent back.

"Thank you for this message. This autograph was actually obtained in person by a close friend of mine in 2002. I have full documentation of the signing and a photo of my friend with Mr. King. It's a piece he hated to part with as it was inscribed to him. But it is absolutely authentically hand signed by him. Best, Mike."
    I'm definitely not a expert but for some reason this sig looks good to me. It looks a little rushed though.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

here is a closer image of the signed blaze i am looking at to purchase depending on the opinions offered here. So far there has been some skepticism.
    It was supposedly signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival and the seller said he had it signed in person.

Please let me know what you think !! Don't wish to waste my money

[IMG][/IMG]
    I would cry fake if he insists it was signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival since the book wasn't published until 2007. The signature looks good, but my gut says this is just a really good fake job. That's based on his statement about when the book was signed, nothing more. Your choice now is to either ask for a clarification (if the seller has said more than once it was signed in 2005, no clarification should be needed), purchase the book, or walk away.

I recommend at least lacing up your sneakers.

I did ask for clarificationand his reply was he told me the wrong info, he mixed the Blaze up with another book he was emailing info about. The other book had been signed in 2005, the Blaze now was signed in October 2008 in Cambridge, MA. As much as I want to get a signed blaze, i think i will just pass this one by, the when and where story of the sig was to much, i think hes lying. Plus getting info has been like pulling teeth.
    Thanks for your help everyone
    I was at that signing, and he didn't sign a single thing other than the American Short Stories book.

And...that signature looks nothing like the signature from that signing, which was a little more cramped.

Clearly a lie.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    here is a closer image of the signed blaze i am looking at to purchase depending on the opinions offered here. So far there has been some skepticism.
    It was supposedly signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival and the seller said he had it signed in person.

Please let me know what you think !! Don't wish to waste my money

[IMG][/IMG]
    I would cry fake if he insists it was signed at the 2005 New Yorker Festival since the book wasn't published until 2007. The signature looks good, but my gut says this is just a really good fake job. That's based on his statement about when the book was signed, nothing more. Your choice now is to either ask for a clarification (if the seller has said more than once it was signed in 2005, no clarification should be needed), purchase the book, or walk away.

I recommend at least lacing up your sneakers.

I did ask for clarificationand his reply was he told me the wrong info, he mixed the Blaze up with another book he was emailing info about. The other book had been signed in 2005, the Blaze now was signed in October 2008 in Cambridge, MA. As much as I want to get a signed blaze, i think i will just pass this one by, the when and where story of the sig was to much, i think hes lying. Plus getting info has been like pulling teeth.
    Thanks for your help everyone
    I was at that signing, and he didn't sign a single thing other than the American Short Stories book.

And...that signature looks nothing like the signature from that signing, which was a little more cramped.

Clearly a lie.

I say pass based on the story.
    King was actually at the 2005 event, but was not scheduled at the 2007 Festival,
    I don't have info on the Cambridge event, but Rhafa spoke about being there.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jerome, I don't remember hearing anything about a Cambidge MA event last year. There was the South Hadley even in early November 2008, but was there an event the month before? I just don't remember hearing anything about that, not at all.

Either way, I think running away from that Blaze is a good idea.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I know of one recently that just sold :RE Asbestos Firestarter....
    Doubt mine will sell--kind of spendy

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    If I was from the other side of the pond, I would buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Aut...item1e597babb7
    I believe this is a fake.

Look at the enlarged "signature" page

The image in the middle of the page is clear. the area around the signature is pixelated. I think the sig is superimposed over the page. Photoshop job.
    I saw this auction last night. Immediately sent Muzak Heart and Soul Foundation an email asking for confirmation of such an item sold as a benefit for the cause.

Waiting on response. Not that the response guarantees real or fake or but just curious.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    The signature seems real....I can't really see the pixelation...but that's a strange book for him to sign, or for someone to ask him to sign.

I'm not sure how a photoshopped signature would help the seller, since the buyer would eventually see what they got.

However, that book is a large 14x11, and that signature's ratio seems to fit - which means it's a very large signature for SK to sign....that's the oddest part about it.
    I didn't say the sig wasn't real...I said I thought it was superimposed.

Take a look at the image at double its size

The pixelation is quite visible around the signature, as if it were a separate file saved with a different compression to the photo of the book.

I may be completely paranoid, but NO WAY would I bid on it without a lot more photos
    I know you said it was superimposed...did you not grasp that I said I couldn't see the pixelization?

Also, that signature would be HUGE in real life...maybe three inches across?

I don't get how the seller could pull this off...if it's photoshopped, how will the seller make that work when the book actually arrives?

It would be easy to fake that for an ebay listing - but how would the actual, physical book be faked? I can't figure it out...
    Bait and switch I guess...

I've just noticed what he's charging for international shipping, should I choose to bid...$134.54
    Calla Wolf

My Mood
    Buzzed

2 more certain fakes and a possible:

# 1

# 2 <--- check out the COA bullspit on this one

# 3 Is this a "bad day" sig or the first Under The Dome fake??
    Calla Wolf

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think this looks authentic to me. The UTD sigs were very rushed at these signings.

Here is the one out of my UTD from Atlanta signing:

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    I think this looks authentic to me. The UTD sigs were very rushed at these signings.

Here is the one out of my UTD from Atlanta signing:

No hesitation in saying yours is 100% authentic. Now, compare them side by side. The one below may well be authentic, but it's scrappy enough to give me cause for thought. I certainly wouldn't pay money for it.
    Calla Wolf

Country
    Country Flag

Ceri, #3 looks a lot like one of the sigs that I got in person. I know it's real because I got it myself, but it still looks a little rough. #3 looks like it might be real to me. The lack of mention of any sort of provenance would make me shy away from the auction anyway though.

#2 = fake

#1- I thought the London event in 2007 was a signing for Lisey's Story and nothing more like most of his signings have been for the last few years. I cry bullshit.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Jerome, I don't remember hearing anything about a Cambidge MA event last year. There was the South Hadley even in early November 2008, but was there an event the month before? I just don't remember hearing anything about that, not at all.

Either way, I think running away from that Blaze is a good idea.
    Cambridge might not have been in 2008...maybe it was fall 2007 - another reason why this Blaze is clearly a fake.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

#1- I thought the London event in 2007 was a signing for Lisey's Story and nothing more.
    King signed anything that was put in front of him during his many signing in London in 2006 (not 2007).

I got many items signed during that tour.

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    If I was from the other side of the pond, I would buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Aut...item1e597babb7
    I believe this is a fake.

Look at the enlarged "signature" page

The image in the middle of the page is clear. the area around the signature is pixelated. I think the sig is superimposed over the page. Photoshop job.
    I saw this auction last night. Immediately sent Muzak Heart and Soul Foundation an email asking for confirmation of such an item sold as a benefit for the cause.

Waiting on response. Not that the response guarantees real or fake or but just curious.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    The signature seems real....I can't really see the pixelation...but that's a strange book for him to sign, or for someone to ask him to sign.

I'm not sure how a photoshopped signature would help the seller, since the buyer would eventually see what they got.

However, that book is a large 14x11, and that signature's ratio seems to fit - which means it's a very large signature for SK to sign....that's the oddest part about it.
    I didn't say the sig wasn't real...I said I thought it was superimposed.

Take a look at the image at double its size

The pixelation is quite visible around the signature, as if it were a separate file saved with a different compression to the photo of the book.

I may be completely paranoid, but NO WAY would I bid on it without a lot more photos
    I know you said it was superimposed...did you not grasp that I said I couldn't see the pixelization?

Also, that signature would be HUGE in real life...maybe three inches across?

I don't get how the seller could pull this off...if it's photoshopped, how will the seller make that work when the book actually arrives?

It would be easy to fake that for an ebay listing - but how would the actual, physical book be faked? I can't figure it out...
    Bait and switch I guess...

I've just noticed what he's charging for international shipping, should I choose to bid...$134.54
    After all of that, the seller just sent me new photos and various proofs (god knows why he didn't include it all in the auction). I'm pretty sure it's genuine now. Egg on face for me.
    Calla Wolf

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2 more certain fakes and a possible:

# 1

# 2 <--- check out the COA bullspit on this one

# 3 Is this a "bad day" sig or the first Under The Dome fake??
    I think #3 was a bad day sig. It may be ugly, but it's still better than the one in my UK UTD S/L!

Because his handwriting seems to be getting 'worse' as time goes by ('worse' being loosely defined as 'different'), I think it's going to get harder and harder to tell a real sig from a bad one.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

What do you guys think about this?. It looks too 'curvy' for a legit signature to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FIRE-STARTER-BY-...item48389dda9f

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    What do you guys think about this?. It looks too 'curvy' for a legit signature to me.

I think it is OK. I've been to that guy's store in LA before. I think he is strictly above board but pricey on many items.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I asked about both these items. The first one said they bought it from someone else and "will look into it".

The second the guy says: "Thanks for the heads up, but I think you are mistaken. A science fiction writer named Kyle Lientz who knows Stephen King stayed at his house in July 2007." He goes on to offer to have the guy call me if I wish. I said I did, we will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    I asked about both these items. The first one said they bought it from someone else and "will look into it".

The second the guy says: "Thanks for the heads up, but I think you are mistaken. A science fiction writer named Kyle Lientz who knows Stephen King stayed at his house in July 2007." He goes on to offer to have the guy call me if I wish. I said I did, we will see what happens.
    I believe him!

I'm mean, it's obviously not the author Stephen King, but it's A Stephen King, so it's legit...haha...

Seriously, though...total fakery.

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post

That one looks good...not sure of the era exactly, but that's a SK style from maybe around the Wastelands, or something.

Country
    Country Flag

Rahfa, the write up puts the sig at 1991, so that would be around the Waste Lands time period.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    It's in a bit of a state...presumably the sticker has been removed from the slipcase to hide the fact that the signature is a facsimile (I can't read the auction description in work so I don't know if the seller is trying to pass it off as the real thing)
    Calla Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    As Ceri said, the sticker has been removed from the slipcase and left a mark. Most (all?) copies I have seen have had the sticker in place and I think that is the proper thing to do. With a little searching you should be able to find a copy with the sticker in place for the same price or maybe cheaper. I'd pass on this one.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

So the sig is a facsimile. I didnt catch that, as I didnt read further down. The thing that caught my eye about the signature was that the "g" is closed in. There was some discussion about the "g" in an early discussion about the Red Sox Hat. I was thinking if this sig was known to be genuine, that it looked an awful lot like the one on the hat.

I agree that this book is in bad condition. I was really only interested in hearing what people thought of the sig.

Thanks
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 462 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 199 ... LastLast