Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Talisman Series Discussion Thread

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

This was Del Rey's first try at graphic novels. Perhaps it didn't work out the way they hoped. I don't know.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just glad I decided not to start collecting the Talisman comics. I HATE leaving things unfinished.

John

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I actually liked this comic series. Mind you, I read the comics first and then the book.

This is my list of SK comics:

The Stand
    N
    American Vampire
    The Talisman
    TDT (except The Gunslinger Born, that one is tied with The Stand)

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily expect her to write Straub and King's descriptions though, it being a visual medium.
    I'm comparing it to The Stand adaptation, which managed to integrate King's prose into the comics in an organic fashion. Here's an example of what I mean (best I could find on short notice)

Spoiler:

Those type of narration boxes are (or used to be) fairly commonplace in certain types of comics. I know Claremont used them a lot in his original X-Men run, so they're not out of place.

In regards to The Sorcerer, it was her creative decisions in that that lead me to drop the comics altogether. Oh God, don't get me started on that abomination.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice Slender is on a distinguished road

I liked The Sorcerer.

Spoiler for The Sorcerer

Apart from that particular revelation, I didn't care much for The Sorcerer. It made a few pointless revisions of the story (notably Rhea's role), but I simply ignored those things and focused on the above revelation (which was Stephen King's idea). What really irks me about Robin Furth's writing is her silly tone, which is exemplified by her tendency to stick exclamation marks where they do not belong. I wish deeply that the team who write the comic-book adaptation of The Stand had been the ones to adapt and expand The Dark Tower – they're far more talented than Furth.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, definitely. Aguirre-Sacasa can write circles around Furth.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say that while I understand the "New Audience/new Readers" approach personally, I never held out much hope for adapting already published works as "Graphic Novels" or comics. As a collector, I was vested in the early "Gunslinger Born" Arcs because it was arguably "New" Material. I could see where "N" and "American Vampire" might have legs as well, but "The Stand" and the subsequent "LSOE" turned me off. Of course, as a fan I have read the original versions of both.

As a collector and fan, I am admittingly biased to the original works. JMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel the same way, Bill. I started with The Stand (I REALLY love that book), but have been rather disappointed with the graphic novel. I've continued getting it, however. I decided when The Talisman was first announced, though, that I wouldn't bother.

John

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Talisman Series Discussion Thread

Existing threads merged here

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

John? JIMHO it's somewhat of a sad commentary on the the present generation that in order to generate "new interest" in classic novels they have to become "Graphic Novels". I don't argue that its good business, but its a shame that this generation will, predominantly, only relate to the Graphic Novel and not the "Original book".

Funny story, I have mentioned a Used Book store called "Bookman's" here before. So happens, there's an "Atomic Comics" in the same strip mall. I walk in to pick up my "collector" copies of the Talisman and engage the clerk in a conversation. Turns out, he LOVES the story and can't wait to find out what happens next. I walk out, buy a used copy of "Talisman" at Bookman's for $6 and hand it to the kid at Atomic. I say "hear ya go". Never found out if he read it or waited for the GN version!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    John? JIMHO it's somewhat of a sad commentary on the the present generation that in order to generate "new interest" in classic novels they have to become "Graphic Novels". I don't argue that its good business, but its a shame that this generation will, predominantly, only relate to the Graphic Novel and not the "Original book".

Funny story, I have mentioned a Used Book store called "Bookman's" here before. So happens, there's an "Atomic Comics" in the same strip mall. I walk in to pick up my "collector" copies of the Talisman and engage the clerk in a conversation. Turns out, he LOVES the story and can't wait to find out what happens next. I walk out, buy a used copy of "Talisman" at Bookman's for $6 and hand it to the kid at Atomic. I say "hear ya go". Never found out if he read it or waited for the GN version!!! LOL
    That's an awesome story. I would really like to know if the guy actually read the book or not.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post

That's an awesome story. I would really like to know if the guy actually read the book or not.
    My bet is he is still working on it (so many words!!!) especially since they shit-canned the Graphic Novel. Far as I know!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That is so excellent!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Much as I really like graphic novels, and comics, I agree. I'm not really a fan of comic adaptations of literary works. I'm happy with comics that extend a story though, as long as it's with the author's permission and, hopefully, writing. Hence I was happy to buy the DT comics so far except for The Battle of Tull. (Okay, The Gunslinger Born was essentially a retelling of Wizard and Glass, but it had quite a bit of other 'off-page' material which justified the purchase for me. Mind you, I bought Little Sisters too, but that was mainly for the origins stuff at the back. To be fair, I really enjoyed the main comic story too.)

Having an interest in comics, I am interested in the medium becoming more popular though, but certainly not to the detriment of the written book. I think it might be a different in the States (and it's certainly different in Japan, and even mainland Europe) but here in the UK comics are often or not associated as 'for kids', although that has changed somewhat. Ironically a lot of the comics we read (largely American imports, but 2000 AD and Judge Dredd Megazine are still going strong) aren't really all that suitable for kids, although 2000 AD started off aimed at young lads. And that's another issue as there's plenty for adults/late teens (albeit the majority probably don't read them, hence my earlier point) and plenty for young kids, leaving a bit of a void for the rest who probably think they're 'too old for comics' anyway.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Much as I really like graphic novels, and comics, I agree. I'm not really a fan of comic adaptations of literary works. I'm happy with comics that extend a story though, as long as it's with the author's permission and, hopefully, writing. Hence I was happy to buy the DT comics so far except for The Battle of Tull. (Okay, The Gunslinger Born was essentially a retelling of Wizard and Glass, but it had quite a bit of other 'off-page' material which justified the purchase for me. Mind you, I bought Little Sisters too, but that was mainly for the origins stuff at the back. To be fair, I really enjoyed the main comic story too.)

Having an interest in comics, I am interested in the medium becoming more popular though, but certainly not to the detriment of the written book. I think it might be a different in the States (and it's certainly different in Japan, and even mainland Europe) but here in the UK comics are often or not associated as 'for kids', although that has changed somewhat. Ironically a lot of the comics we read (largely American imports, but 2000 AD and Judge Dredd Megazine are still going strong) aren't really all that suitable for kids, although 2000 AD started off aimed at young lads. And that's another issue as there's plenty for adults/late teens (albeit the majority probably don't read them, hence my earlier point) and plenty for young kids, leaving a bit of a void for the rest who probably think they're 'too old for comics' anyway.
    Dude, I agree with you 100%, its the "practical application" that I guess I have a problem with. Seems to me that the above story apply's all too often, which is my beef. Opening a book, smelling the pages and sitting down to read it, is becoming a lost art. Know what I mean? Its kinda sad that our kids will be "downloading" the newest Joe Hill or W/E. However, we change and adapt, right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Per Ms Mod on the SKMB:

The publisher decided not to do a second arc of The Talisman comic.
    John

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the news, John.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10